Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4th quarter fadeouts begone! This Bulls team, as long as it remains healthy, is going to come at opponents in waves. Not only can depth wear opponents down, it can counterbalance all sorts of adversity.

You say Curry scored just 4 points and got shut out on the boards? No problem.

You say Jay Williams missed 5 free throws, including his last four when just one woud have put the game out of reach? Big deal.

You say Tyson Chandler got tossed early in the second half? So what?

You say Rose scored just 3 first half points after being benched with foul trouble less than 3 minutes into the game? Ho-hum.

You say the Bulls gave up 32 points in the first quarter and 33 in the third? WGAS.

Eleven Bulls saw playing time. Six Bulls scored in double figures compared to three players for the Celtics. The Bulls outrebounded the C's by 10.

There's a role for just about everyone on this team. If everyone is willing to play their part and individual egos take a back seat to team success, theres no telling how many wins this team can earn.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Can't keep winning with 10 people looking to score. IMHO, the offense looked best when Rose was out looking for his first, and swinging when the defense reacted.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
agreed dickie, depth is a beautiful thing, especially when everyone knows their roles, lets forget the trade talk for now, unless we can get significantly better, you dont want to hurt any chemistry we already have :)

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
It is especially advantagous to have alot of depth on a young team, because of the inherent inconsitancies of young ball players. With so many options to chose from, we are bound to be able to find a couple of hot hands to ride for stretches of games.

I think having Donyell come of the bench was a wise and calculated move by Bill. It is important to have a stabalizing force on the second unit, and it helps that Marshall is experienced and willing in that role, as well as versitile enough to spell cold guys, or create mismatches at 3 positions.

Erob also seems to be a good fit off the bench with his great energy and athleticism.

Starting Hassel was a good move as well. We need the defense, and he is not really the type of guy who has one or two skill to come off the bench and spark a team. He is more like a steady, well rounded type whose game will payoff over the course of a game but not in spurts.

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
Originally posted by <b>TripleDouble</b>!

I think having Donyell come of the bench was a wise and calculated move by Bill. It is important to have a stabalizing force on the second unit, and it helps that Marshall is experienced and willing in that role, as well as versitile enough to spell cold guys, or create mismatches at 3 positions.

Erob also seems to be a good fit off the bench with his great energy and athleticism.

Starting Hassel was a good move as well. We need the defense, and he is not really the type of guy who has one or two skill to come off the bench and spark a team. He is more like a steady, well rounded type whose game will payoff over the course of a game but not in spurts.
I agree with you about Hassell. Though starting him didn't keep Pierce from dominating on offense for most of four quarters, or keep the Celtics from scoring a bunch in the first half.

It seems like Fizer should be the guy who provides the experience and willingness to stablize the second unit. He's demonstrated he can score, and more recently, pass and rebound.

On the other hand, the offense with Rose and Hassell as the only veteran presence may not be such a good thing. The depth issue does make it look like when Curry isn't playing well, Chandler or Williams might.

I believe the key to Bulls victories this season will be having a 1st unit that can stay with opponents' 1st teams, and having our 2nd unit destroy other teams' 2nd units. And, of course, it helps to have Jalen Rose take over the game late, as he scored 15 of his 21 points in the 4th quarter against Boston.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Why was Hoiberg first of bench?

This is a positive thread so I refrain from bashing Freddie or Cartwright but did anyone understand why when Rose got his second foul in the first, He was replaced by Hoiberg and not E-Rob or Marshall.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Why was Hoiberg first of bench?

Originally posted by <b>illiniguy</b>!
This is a positive thread so I refrain from bashing Freddie or Cartwright but did anyone understand why when Rose got his second foul in the first, He was replaced by Hoiberg and not E-Rob or Marshall.
I can only guess that Cartwright wanted to keep Williams paired with a veteran ballhandler. Donyell and Eddie are vets, but they typically don't control the ball. Whatever you may think of Fred's skills, he knows the nuances of the triangle better than anyone on the team. His presence on the floor, just like Jalen's, protected Williams from the pressure of directing the triangle alone in his very first pro game. Fred may not put up numbers, but the offense always seems to run smoothly when he's on the floor.

·
Registered
73 Posts
thanks Dickie

That is a very good point. A point I really wasn't even close to understanding the moment it happened. Now that you mention it, it does make a lot of sense considering J-Will was probally still really nervous and not into the flow of the game yet

·
Is not afraid of shadows!
5,094 Posts
Re: Why was Hoiberg first of bench?

Originally posted by <b>illiniguy</b>!
I have a different guess. I'm betting Cartwright was saving ERob to hound Pierce, and Marshall to hound Walker. Rose was defending who? Freddie could come in and not get taken to the rack by his player.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts