Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a Monasch sighting last night at the Beanpot of all places. Herr Monasch took in the Beanpot consolation game and finals, sitting in the NU section!!!

Der Kommissar attended the game with his wife (Who showed up for the finals between BU and BC), and true to form, Slick Chris was reading during the game and in between periods. Granted this was a book, but it appears to me this guy has some mild form of ADD. If you can't pay attention during a hockey or basketball game, something must be going wrong.

I think the cool temperatures in the Fleet Center froze his hair.

I gave him a quick, "hi" and a wave.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The Commish was in Albany last night for the Binghamton - Albany women's game.

He saw a very unusual game ending situation, which I will argue at the end of this post had no bearing on the outcome, but will understand that others may have a different opinion. Here's what happened:

Albany had a 2 point lead with overtime winding down. Binghamton missed a shot and missed a put back and the ball was rebounded by Albany's Hutcheson with 7 seconds remaining. She cradled the ball and waited to be fouled. She was fouled with 5 seconds left on the clock. Both teams walked down the floor for Hutcheson to shoot her one and one. The PA announcer announced that the foul was on Binghamton's Blues and that it was her 5th foul. The Binghamton team congregated around its coach as appears usual when a player fouls out. The Albany team did not leave the foul line and lane. Coach Patterson was as animated as I have ever seen her, yelling at the Referees and pointing to the Binghamton bench. The Refs eventually went to the Binghamton bench to bring the players back onto the floor. The Binghamton players came back, including Blues. According to this morning's Binghamton paper, the foul was actually called on Wegwerth, and so no one had actually fouled out on the play. After the Binghamton players came back on the floor, the Refs went to the scorer's table and called a Technical foul on the Binghamton coach for delay of game.
Albany's Ayers shot the two technical shots, making only the first to increase the lead to three. Hutcheson them missed the front end of her one and one. Binghamton rebounded, hurried up the floor and put up an off balance three point shot which was not really close. I was actually surprised that Binghamton could get as good a shot as it did off a missed foul shot with 5 seconds on the clock.
First, my argument for why the technical did not affect the result. Binghamton got as good a final shot as it possibly could. If the shot had gone in, they would have had an argument that the three should have won the game instead of tying it.

My question is whether the referees' actions were appropriate? Was the Binghamton coach justified in relying on the PA announcer in calling his team over? The referees presumably knew they called the foul on Wegwerth and not on Blues; if they felt the Binghamton coach called his team over inappropriately, is this a technical? or could the referees merely have given the ball to Hutcheson who was still at the foul line for her to shoot, irregardless of where the Binghamton players were? Has anyone ever seen a situation such as this where a home team PA announcer's apparant error was relied on by the visiting coach and cost a technical?

Aside from the above, the Lady Danes have now won three league games in a row, for the first time since joining the conference.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Wow -- what an interesting finish.

It's hard for me to think that the call didn't have some impact -- Albany only had to defend the three. If they had to defend the two and the three, perhaps there would have been more open space and a less frantic drive upcourt...

I can also see the argument that it's the Binghamton coaching staff's responsibility to watch the ref's and not rely on the game announcer.

At the end of the day, a disappointing loss for Binghamton. If you want to be among the league elite, you shouldn't let youself be in the situation where a single call can cost you the game.

·
Registered
45 Posts
one of the worst calls ever

First, I will say that I am not sure it eventually cost them the game, but....

from watching the game on tv the official under the basket clearly came toward the bench and signaled with 2 fingers and then a clenched fist...last I knew that meant 20. Then the announcer clearly says "foul on Jen Blues that is her 5th." The official that called the technical was the trail on the play and was headed down toward the basket for the foul shot.

Bing was told that it was not on Blues, but on Townley #23 and so they were called out of the team huddle and headed to the foul line. Both teams were lined up with the official under the basket with the ball and you could see the Albany head coach going crazy and people screaming "technical foul". So the official walks halfway up the lane and calls a "T" for delay of game.

The women official who made the foul call and signaled to the scorer's table never moved. While she allowed this other official to call the "T". Incredible.

How at the end of a close overtime game an official can;t go over and say to the Binghamton coach there was a mistake and the foul was not on Blues come to the line and tell the Albany coach the same thing boggles my mind.

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
If the game ended as you say........

With the Commish in the house. The whole officiating crew should be reprimanded or worse.

I don't care if UA was winning or losing - players should decide the game and even if the result of the fouls shots were not the deciding factor the trauma of the events may have had an affect on BU's decision making on the last shot.

·
Registered
5,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dumb and Dumber Sighting

We had a dynamic dingbat duo at the NU-UMBC game today, as Der Komissar and his sidekick Matt "I go to games but my boss doesn't listen to my point of view" Bourque were both in attendance.

Der Komissar must read this board, as he wasn't reading the paper during the game, but he must have read the media notes or other reading materials for most of the game.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts