Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The man showed his true colors tonight. Unbelievable game by an excellent floor general. I mean god damn, this guy has it all, vision, leadership, ball handling, and oh yeah, clutch shooting like a %^$%&$%.

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
He was always in the lottery. Whether or not the internet sites picked up on it or the fans picked up on it is one thing, but Marty Blake has always spoken highly of Deron and Raymond Felton.

Deron has been the PG two of the last 3 years for the under-21 USA team. NBA scouts know what he can do. It's not a surprise.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
He certainly impressed me.

Paul, Felton, Stoudamire, Williams, Jack, Robinson...man this PG class is deep as hell.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I don't think lottery was a question but where in the lottery he would be picked. He impressed the hell out of me today; his uncanny leadership, court vision, pure PG skills, decisiveness, clutch as **** shooting, and his lock-jaw defense (shutting down Salim Stoudamire). I think a couple of people have him rated higher than Chris Paul on their boards.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Make no mistake, Deron is an elite PG prospect. That he's basically been the main man on a 36-1 Illinois team shows that he is capable of leading a team on the NBA level. He's big enough to bully smalller points, he's quick enough to hold his own against the smaller ones, he can create his own shot, and in Weber's system he has turned into an elite distributor. If I have a top 5 pick, I'm taking him.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
Deron Williams blew me away. The guy is ****ing awesome. Great decision making, very aggressive, and he can score (but knows when to try to score and when to run the offense for others). I expect him to be a top PG in the league within a few years. I liked him so much that I would want the Nets to take him if he's there (and no quality PFs are available) when they pick, even though we've got JKidd.

·
Registered
218 Posts
SeaNet said:
Deron Williams blew me away. The guy is ****ing awesome. Great decision making, very aggressive, and he can score (but knows when to try to score and when to run the offense for others). I expect him to be a top PG in the league within a few years. I liked him so much that I would want the Nets to take him if he's there (and no quality PFs are available) when they pick, even though we've got JKidd.
The Lakers in the 80's (Magic and Norm Nixon, Magic and Byron Scott) and even the Bucks a few years ago (GP and Sam Cassell) have shown that two pointguards can work in the same backcourt in the NBA.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
Rizzah said:
The Lakers in the 80's (Magic and Norm Nixon, Magic and Byron Scott) and even the Bucks a few years ago (GP and Sam Cassell) have shown that two pointguards can work in the same backcourt in the NBA.
I agree, wholeheartedly.

·
Premium Member
18,840 Posts
Rizzah said:
Ummm Byron Scott was never a PG. He was always the SG for the Lakers. He didn't handle the ball, he wasn't a distrubitor. He scored, drove, and shot the ball. All qualities consistent with a pure SG. He sometimes had to guard PG because Magic was too big but no way did he play point. Even when Magic sat, Cooper is the guy who ran the point.

Deron will be a great PG in the NBA (good passer, shooter, and defender). Just don't know how he'll handle defending some of the quicker points. If he can shed a few more poinds in the offseason (he's not very cut) to show teams a little more lateral quickness, he could skyrocket

·
Registered
420 Posts
only thing i worry about is hes a little husky for a pg..

if he has any sort of problem losing weight it will be a problem at the pg position..

·
Registered
427 Posts
I think Deron Williams will be a stud in the NBA. His court vision and awareness is exceptional. He's got all the skills to become a top player in the NBA. He's definantly a triple threat in that he can score,pass, and rebound.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Damian Necronamous said:
He certainly impressed me.

Paul, Felton, Stoudamire, Williams, Jack, Robinson...man this PG class is deep as hell.

Stoudamire can't play PG in the NBA and hopefully no one will try to make him do so

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sounds like Baron Davis.....but thatz just from what i see in this post....havent personally seen him...>< but i think Utah would be a pretty good fit for him since the pg situation in Utah is pretty shaky and under Sloan he could become a pretty good pg

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
Nitestalker said:
Sounds like Baron Davis.....but thatz just from what i see in this post....havent personally seen him...>< but i think Utah would be a pretty good fit for him since the pg situation in Utah is pretty shaky and under Sloan he could become a pretty good pg
More like JKidd, IMO. A very willing passer. Always seems to look to get his teammates involved first. Great decision maker, and incredible passer.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Deron will be a great leader and PG on one side of the ball, offense. If he can learn to use his footwork and smarts better, he'll be an above average defender, which is the only thing I can see him having trouble with in the NBA (speed and quickness to defend). Otherwise he's just like Jason Kidd, except slower and a better shooter.

·
Banned
3,556 Posts
I see him as more of an Andre Miller than a Jason Kidd. Of course, they have similar skin tones so I guess Kidd is a more accurate comparison.

·
Registered
12,128 Posts
HeinzGuderian said:
I see him as more of an Andre Miller than a Jason Kidd. Of course, they have similar skin tones so I guess Kidd is a more accurate comparison.
I guess I just have such a low opinion of Andre Miller (saw him live and close up against Seattle and he had the worst on court attitude I've ever seen), that I wouldn't, personally, compare any PG I liked w/ him. And Deron is big and strong like Kidd is.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I think so I don't know if he'll go as high as top 5 but he'll definatley be the 2nd point guard taken after Paul. Here's a comparison I haven't heard how about a more athletic Mark Jackson??

1 - 20 of 32 Posts