Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CHICAGO -- Derrick Rose believes the Bulls have only one main rival -- and it's the Miami Heat, not the Indiana Pacers.

Rose made his feelings known before Friday night's preseason contest against the Pacers.

While being respectful regarding Indiana's recent success, Rose acknowledged that he believed any rivalry with the Pacers is a thing of the past.

"People say that it's a rivalry, but I don't really see it," Rose said before scoring 32 points in the team's 103-98 win against the Pacers. "I say the team that is more like a rivalry is when Darren Collison was on the team. That one was more like a rivalry, but this team is a great team. They've already proven themselves last year by making it to the Eastern Conference finals.

"If anything, by probably in a year or two, it could become a rival. But right now, people say it's a rival. ... I just don't see it right now."

Rose and the Bulls defeated the Pacers in the first round of the playoffs in 2011.

Asked what made the rivalry with the Collison-led Pacers different, Rose responded this way:

"I think it was more like that rivalry feeling where we knew, we thought that they were going to have that same team for a long period of time," Rose said. "Then they end up going different ways, picking up different guys, and I think this team, I think in the next year or two, if both teams have the same teams, then that's when it would become a rivalry."

Asked specifically if he felt the Heat were the Bulls' biggest rival, Rose acknowledged that to be the case.

"If you want say [that], yeah," he said. "For sure, Miami."

For their part, the Pacers have repeatedly talked about the rivalry they feel they have developed with the Bulls over the years.

"I think Chicago will always be a rival," Pacers forward Danny Granger said recently. "When you go to the United Center, it's crazy. They have a big home-court advantage there. They have a huge following, not only locally in Chicago but nationally as well, and I think they'll always be a rival to us. We're really close, so a lot of times there's a lot of Bulls fans here and vice versa. I think as long as we're in the division, we're going to be rivals."
http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story/_/id/9844412/derrick-rose-chicago-bulls-indiana-pacers-great-miami-heat-only-true-rival

Thoughts, Pacers fans?

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Runs his mouth a lot for a guy who cowered in fear behind his big brother during the playoffs last year.

·
Restore the Roar
7,393 Posts
What was so classless? I'm sorry - but he in no way denigrated the Pacers. He said that the reason he wasn't feeling a rivalry is because of the level of turnover on the roster over the last year and a half. Personally - I don't see it, and don't agree with him. Darren Collison is the only significant piece that is no longer a part of the team. But if his only point is - it doesn't feel like a rivalry because of roster changes, he's got a right to say it.

He definitely didn't say the Pacers weren't competition, or that they were an inferior team.

·
And Justise For All
64,271 Posts
I see where he's coming from, but he's wrong on this one. Entering the season, I feel a big storm is brewing between Miami, Chicago & Indy. If he seriously thinks this, then it'll be Miami vs. Indy again in the ECF.

·
King George
11,475 Posts
What was so classless? I'm sorry - but he in no way denigrated the Pacers. He said that the reason he wasn't feeling a rivalry is because of the level of turnover on the roster over the last year and a half. Personally - I don't see it, and don't agree with him. Darren Collison is the only significant piece that is no longer a part of the team. But if his only point is - it doesn't feel like a rivalry because of roster changes, he's got a right to say it.

He definitely didn't say the Pacers weren't competition, or that they were an inferior team.
To me, it appears that he's implying that Miami is the only team to worry about in the East.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I think the Pacers will have to get through Miami in Round 2 to get to the Bulls.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Classless. Idiots. Words being used to describe Chicago's fans and Rose... For what? Because HE doesn't think the Pacers are a rival... So he doesn't, big deal... Just because it's a rival for an indy fan that sees Chicago as a road block for them, doesn't mean it's a rival for him.

I see Rose's point in a way... If the Rose and the Bulls keep playing the way they are, and Indy keeps playing like they are, this won't even be up for discussion in 4 months... I fully expect Chicago to run away with the division, but hope someone steps up to at least challenge them....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using VerticalSports.Com App

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Classless. Idiots. Words being used to describe Chicago's fans and Rose... For what? Because HE doesn't think the Pacers are a rival... So he doesn't, big deal... Just because it's a rival for an indy fan that sees Chicago as a road block for them, doesn't mean it's a rival for him.

I see Rose's point in a way... If the Rose and the Bulls keep playing the way they are, and Indy keeps playing like they are, this won't even be up for discussion in 4 months... I fully expect Chicago to run away with the division, but hope someone steps up to at least challenge them....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using VerticalSports.Com App
Run away with the division? Because you're basing the season on a handful or preseason games?

You're delusional buddy.

·
Better Call Saul
13,184 Posts
Luke coming in to tell us the Pacers aren't that good?

What?

Where's Jamel?
When did I say they weren't that good? I said they weren't a great regular season team because they pace them self, but once the postseason comes around they're contenders.

They won 49 games last year, good but not great. Then they pushed Miami to 7, which is great.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Last season you spent the year telling us we weren't that good.

Then the playoffs happened.

I'm glad you're admitting you were wrong.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts