Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
When analyzing a trade you have to look at what the goal for the team is.

Does this trade, alone, represent a clear move to "win later?" No. If the goal was to blow this team up, this is a step in the wrong direction, given the Lopez contract.

Does this trade, along, represent a clear move to "win now?" No. Even if we replaced Rose from last season with Lopez that won't move the needle in a meaningful way.

What does it actually accomplish for management?

It gets them off the hook for having to make a very hard decision next off-season regarding Derrick Rose, especially since he's going to be going balls-out to have a great season in his contract year, assuming the fire in his belly for such things still exists. And if Rose had a great season, it would be a management nightmare decision.

They also had a somewhat tough call regarding Noah. This move gets them off the hook on not bringing back a popular player.

The Bulls are not currently markedly better now then they were this morning. The Bulls might be worse off for this upcoming season, if Rose did have one monster contract year season left in the tank. But if that happened, management had an impossible choice.

Management now doesn't have to make that choice. That's why this trade was made.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
If anything, I would say this greatly decreases the likelihood of a Jimmy Butler trade and increase the likelihood that they bring back Pau.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If anything, I would say this greatly decreases the likelihood of a Jimmy Butler trade and increase the likelihood that they bring back Pau.
It could. What to do with Robin though? Didn't they learn from their mistake from Gasol / Noah last season?

·
Registered
181 Posts
will derrick rose be able to reach the same level of play that he was at in his first years at chicago?
I would be shocked at that.

I would not be surprised to see a much more aggressive Rose willing to sacrifice his body this season, in order to secure another big contract. I'm unsure if that fire inside him exists anymore though, or if his body could hold up to that abuse.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
It could. What to do with Robin though? Didn't they learn from their mistake from Gasol / Noah last season?
Don't you mean, didn't they learn from their mistake of Niko/Gasol last season?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Don't you mean, didn't they learn from their mistake of Niko/Gasol last season?
No. The Noah / Gasol mistake was having two starting caliber centers on the team at the same time when neither can really play the 4.

Also, the Bulls coach made a mistake in publicly saying Noah was cool coming off the bench when he wasn't.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
No. The Noah / Gasol mistake was having two starting caliber centers on the team at the same time when neither can really play the 4.

Also, the Bulls coach made a mistake in publicly saying Noah was cool coming off the bench when he wasn't.
They didn't do that last year. They tried to go with shooting and spacing... and they did even worse than with Gasol/Noah starting together.

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
0.0% chance that they "bring back" Pau. The only way he comes back is if he exercises his option, which is exceedingly unlikely given he has said he will not.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
0.0% chance that they "bring back" Pau. The only way he comes back is if he exercises his option, which is exceedingly unlikely given he has said he will not.
I don't follow. Why wouldn't they want to resign him after he opts out? He's been their second best player the last 2 seasons.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
I feel like this also paves the way for Dwight Howard to end up on the Knicks.

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
I like the move quite a bit. The real question is this: Are you okay chewing up ~$14 million of cap space next season (while still projecting to have a max slot and then some) in order to lock down a good (but not great) starting 5 for 3 years for reasonable money and to get Jerian Grant? To me, that seems reasonable. Though it does have an impact on the 2017 cap, I would think that the Lopez contact is going to be thoroughly moveable once we see what Biyombo, Noah, etc. get this offseason.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts