Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
0.0% chance that they "bring back" Pau. The only way he comes back is if he exercises his option, which is exceedingly unlikely given he has said he will not.
I thought so too, but Gar supposedly just said that Calderon gets along with Pau well, so who knows.

But your point... now that I read what you wrote :) ... is that he won't exercise his option... so that does seem unlikely. Odd that they mentioned him. They can't think Calderon might induce Pau to stay?

·
Alex Anguiano
12 Posts
I would be shocked at that.

I would not be surprised to see a much more aggressive Rose willing to sacrifice his body this season, in order to secure another big contract. I'm unsure if that fire inside him exists anymore though, or if his body could hold up to that abuse.
excatly my thoughts. maybe the knicks will re-ignite fire within or will rose continue to play the way he has been lately?

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
I don't follow. Why wouldn't they want to resign him after he opts out? He's been their second best player the last 2 seasons.

They will have zero interest. None. Seriously. Local media does not treat it like it's even a remote possibility.

Pau doesn't defend. He plays away from the basket. The Bulls' stated mission is to get "younger and more athletic." Pau ain't that. He will also likely be fairly expensive, unless he's ring-chasing.

Pau seems like a great dude and he could be a nice piece for a team making a title run. That's not the Bulls anymore. They're a team in transition.

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
I thought so too, but Gar supposedly just said that Calderon gets along with Pau well, so who knows.

But your point... now that I read what you wrote :) ... is that he won't exercise his option... so that does seem unlikely. Odd that they mentioned him. They can't think Calderon might induce Pau to stay?
Gar also said they were going to sit down with Noah to discuss a new deal on 7/1. Do you think that's really true in any meaningful sense?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Gar also said they were going to sit down with Noah to discuss a new deal on 7/1. Do you think that's really true in any meaningful sense?
I would think not.

Well, they might discuss a deal. But it probably won't be one that Noah wants to sign.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
They will have zero interest. None. Seriously. Local media does not treat it like it's even a remote possibility.

Pau doesn't defend. He plays away from the basket. The Bulls' stated mission is to get "younger and more athletic." Pau ain't that. He will also likely be fairly expensive, unless he's ring-chasing.

Pau seems like a great dude and he could be a nice piece for a team making a title run. That's not the Bulls anymore. They're a team in transition.
Fair enough.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I like the move quite a bit. The real question is this: Are you okay chewing up ~$14 million of cap space next season (while still projecting to have a max slot and then some) in order to lock down a good (but not great) starting 5 for 3 years for reasonable money and to get Jerian Grant? To me, that seems reasonable. Though it does have an impact on the 2017 cap, I would think that the Lopez contact is going to be thoroughly moveable once we see what Biyombo, Noah, etc. get this offseason.
If the goal is to perhaps make the 1st round of the playoffs and get off the hook on tough decisions on Rose and Noah, this is a good move.

I think, based on what I think managements' goals are, its a good move.

If you are a Bulls fan interested in seeing the Bulls win the NBA Championship, its not really much of a move.

There is no doubt that Lopez seems like a good contract.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
How about Jo Noah? Go to NY, reunite with Derrick, etc. I can easily see it.
I guess he would be much cheaper, but I think Dwight has quite a bit more juice left.

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
If the goal is to perhaps make the 1st round of the playoffs and get off the hook on tough decisions on Rose and Noah, this is a good move.

I think, based on what I think managements' goals are, its a good move.

If you are a Bulls fan interested in seeing the Bulls win the NBA Championship, its not really much of a move.

There is no doubt that Lopez seems like a good contract.

What would be the better course of action vis a vis Derrick Rose if the goal is to win a championship?

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Gar calling this a retooling lol wtf. It's like replacing name brand cereal with the generic brand.

I'm so sick of this franchise, all the bullshit they feed to the fanbase. Just be honest and say that rose was traded for the obvious fucking reasons, instead they spin it like they are making the team better.

Trade Jimmy, fire everyone. I'm ready for new ownership.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Gar calling this a retooling lol wtf. It's like replacing name brand cereal with the generic brand.

I'm so sick of this franchise, all the bullshit they feed to the fanbase. Just be honest and say that rose was traded for the obvious fucking reasons, instead they spin it like they are making the team better.

Trade Jimmy, fire everyone. I'm ready for new ownership.
Listening to Gar talk is like listening to a really shitty corporate middle manager prattle on.

Many transparent lies / half-truths coming out of his mouth.

As a Bulls fan, you can't take what he says at face value.

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
When analyzing a trade you have to look at what the goal for the team is.

Does this trade, alone, represent a clear move to "win later?" No. If the goal was to blow this team up, this is a step in the wrong direction, given the Lopez contract.

Does this trade, along, represent a clear move to "win now?" No. Even if we replaced Rose from last season with Lopez that won't move the needle in a meaningful way.

What does it actually accomplish for management?

It gets them off the hook for having to make a very hard decision next off-season regarding Derrick Rose, especially since he's going to be going balls-out to have a great season in his contract year, assuming the fire in his belly for such things still exists. And if Rose had a great season, it would be a management nightmare decision.

They also had a somewhat tough call regarding Noah. This move gets them off the hook on not bringing back a popular player.

The Bulls are not currently markedly better now then they were this morning. The Bulls might be worse off for this upcoming season, if Rose did have one monster contract year season left in the tank. But if that happened, management had an impossible choice.

Management now doesn't have to make that choice. That's why this trade was made.
I think the bolded portion is pretty far off the mark. They just traded the most beloved Bull since MJ. In no way whatsoever did this get the front office "off the hook" for anything. They now have their necks stuck out there if Rose blows up this season.

The same is somewhat true if they let Noah walk.

This is very much the Bulls saying "we're moving on from these guys." The way they protect themselves with the fans is to take no action and have Rose/Noah move on for greener pastures, allowing the FO to say "we tried."

·
Registered
181 Posts
I think the bolded portion is pretty far off the mark. They just traded the most beloved Bull since MJ. In no way whatsoever did this get the front office "off the hook" for anything. They now have their necks stuck out there if Rose blows up this season.
Right, but they would have been in even worse shape if he blew it up this season for the Bulls.

That would have been a nightmare scenario and an impossible choice for GarPax.

Now they don't have to make it.

And they don't really like dealing with BJ / Reggie / Team Rose.

But you are right, if he blows up on the Knicks, they may catch some heat.

This is very much the Bulls saying "we're moving on from these guys." The way they protect themselves with the fans is to take no action and have Rose/Noah move on for greener pastures, allowing the FO to say "we tried."

Not if Rose wanted to earn that 2nd monster deal this season and had one more season in him. Letting him walk makes them look terrible. Resigning him for market value is probably something they didn't want to do.

If Rose was still meh Rose, you are right, then they had their out by letting him walk. Bulls would have been better off for the rebuild most likely as well, with increased cap space.

Lopez is a good contract, but doesn't really help you tank or win something of note.

·
Registered
181 Posts
What would be the better course of action vis a vis Derrick Rose if the goal is to win a championship?
Can you think of any other way these Bulls can acquire a superstar other than high lotto picks?

They have not shown the ability to trade for one or acquire one via FA.

That leaves getting high lotto picks either by trade or losing.

But, given GarPax are calling the shots and lucked into the Rose pick and didn't realize how much of the winning they trumpet was due to Thibs, it really might not matter.

Its going to be really hard to luck into another #1 pick and have a cabinet member give the owner a hot tip on a world-class coach again.

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
Right, but they would have been in even worse shape if he blew it up this season for the Bulls.

That would have been a nightmare scenario and an impossible choice for GarPax.

Now they don't have to make it.

And they don't really like dealing with BJ / Reggie / Team Rose.

But you are right, if he blows up on the Knicks, they may catch some heat.
What are the chances Rose plays at a very high level this year? Not great, based on the last four seasons. Is it really the better move to just watch him walk in free agency, particularly given reports that Rose did not want to stay? To me, it'd be irresponsible to do anything other than deal him for the best possible return.

Not if Rose wanted to earn that 2nd monster deal this season and had one more season in him. Letting him walk makes them look terrible. Resigning him for market value is probably something they didn't want to do.

If Rose was still meh Rose, you are right, then they had their out by letting him walk. Bulls would have been better off for the rebuild most likely as well, with increased cap space.

Lopez is a good contract, but doesn't really help you tank or win something of note.
Lopez is good enough to be the 5 on a competing team, but not good enough to carry anyone. Basically, he's a fit whether you're in team tank or team compete. His deal is also cheap enough that it can be moved if better options come along.

Would you rather just roll with Felicio next year? You do have to put out some sort of roster.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts