Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
Can you think of any other way these Bulls can acquire a superstar other than high lotto picks?

They have not shown the ability to trade for one or acquire one via FA.

That leaves getting high lotto picks either by trade or losing.

But, given GarPax are calling the shots and lucked into the Rose pick and didn't realize how much of the winning they trumpet was due to Thibs, it really might not matter.

Its going to be really hard to luck into another #1 pick and have a cabinet member give the owner a hot tip on a world-class coach again.
I reject the idea that the Bulls can only rebuild through the draft, so yes, I don't find this particularly compelling. But let's accept your premise. You should be for this deal. The only downside of this deal is potentially long-term cap space, which you contend is not an asset. Do you really think that Lopez, Grant, and Calderon prevent tank aspirations next season? Heck, getting a 2nd year first round pick PG and giving him big minutes is exactly what a team would do if trying to tank and build around young guys.

If you want high picks, the only option is to move Jimmy. And that's fine, but that has nothing to do with whether the Rose deal was good or bad.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I reject the idea that the Bulls can only rebuild through the draft, so yes, I don't find this particularly compelling.
What evidence do you have that GarPax or Pax have the ability to land the needed 1A talent by other means?

But let's accept your premise. You should be for this deal. The only downside of this deal is potentially long-term cap space, which you contend is not an asset. Do you really think that Lopez, Grant, and Calderon prevent tank aspirations next season?
I'm not really for it or against it. I have little faith they will hit in FA, so the cap space isn't worth much. But its a chance. Lopez isn't a real difference maker one way or the other. They will probably just overpay a Ryan Anderson or Harrison Barnes type.

Its just sad really, to see what happened with the insane luck of getting the Rose pick and actually getting a MVP level player, and have it all fall apart.

Sad day to see the book closed on Rose.

Its not a bad trade for what management wants to do with the team.

If you want high picks, the only option is to move Jimmy. And that's fine, but that has nothing to do with whether the Rose deal was good or bad.
High picks via trade or losing. I have little faith in this management team making trades or landing free agents to land a superstar.

This roster might make the 1st round of the playoffs and finish above .500. That's the goal and they very well might get back there.

·
Registered
181 Posts
What are the chances Rose plays at a very high level this year? Not great, based on the last four seasons. Is it really the better move to just watch him walk in free agency, particularly given reports that Rose did not want to stay? To me, it'd be irresponsible to do anything other than deal him for the best possible return.
I don't really know. He has diminished physically, but I never knew how much of his decline was "want to."

Is he going to try to make the violent cuts and take the nightly beatings he took during his MVP season again to earn another big deal? I don't know.

If he reaches maximum "want to" again, can he be a top NBA guy physically? I don't know.

Would you rather just roll with Felicio next year? You do have to put out some sort of roster.
Yah, either way, they are not contending for a title.

·
We Warriors
15,623 Posts
Grade for Knicks B+

Dump Robin Lopez to Diaper bag

Grade for Bulls F

Find the Bulls Sxxt in the diaper bag

Robin is worth 4 million, Knicks paid him 54 Mil.

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
What evidence do you have that GarPax or Pax have the ability to land the needed 1A talent by other means?
If you believe the reports, their presentations to LBJ and Carmelo were much better received than others bidding for their services. Obviously, the big fish have not been landed, though, so I agree there is no real guarantee there. But I'm not down for a scenario where the Bulls just give up 2 of the 3 methods of team building. I think we're both in agreement that a new FO is called for at this point, but we also know it's not coming this year.

I'm not really for it or against it. I have little faith they will hit in FA, so the cap space isn't worth much. But its a chance. Lopez isn't a real difference maker one way or the other. They will probably just overpay a Ryan Anderson or Harrison Barnes type.
That scenario is my biggest concern and would be a big mistake.

Its just sad really, to see what happened with the insane luck of getting the Rose pick and actually getting a MVP level player, and have it all fall apart.

Sad day to see the book closed on Rose.
I agree. Rose's injury luck has been hugely unfortunate.

Its not a bad trade for what management wants to do with the team.
I know that's a dig, but the fact is it's "not a bad trade" for anyone, not just what this FO wants to accomplish, which you seem to acknowledge because you do not suggest they should have done anything differently in this particular instance.

High picks via trade or losing. I have little faith in this management team making trades or landing free agents to land a superstar.

This roster might make the 1st round of the playoffs and finish above .500. That's the goal and they very well might get back there.
I agree there isn't much reason to believe this FO can get it done. Having Gar stand up there today and brag about how many above .500 seasons they've had was incredibly grating. I don't think many people give a shit about that level of "success."

·
Chicago Bulls
92 Posts
Stupidest thing we have ever done ! He served this team for years and they just got rid of him for 34 years old Calderon and Lopez and whatever!

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Trade is what it is. I'm just done with the front office. They fully believe that rose was the reason nobody took Fred Hoiberg serious.

If only the Bulls and ownership would put as much effort into winning and talent development as they did when they wrote up a letter aimed at their former coach...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Trade is what it is. I'm just done with the front office. They fully believe that rose was the reason nobody took Fred Hoiberg serious.

If only the Bulls and ownership would put as much effort into winning and talent development as they did when they wrote up a letter aimed at their former coach...

It seems like many people in this town are pretty negative on GarPax at this point.

If they thought their machinations would make them come out of dumping Thibs, Rose and Noah and replacing them with Hoiball looking good, they thought wrong.

They are still collecting checks though and the head coach isn't showing them up anymore. They have bought time. More checks.

GarPax are started to be hated in this town by more than just a minority. Thibs is universally respected around the league.

If they can get these Bulls actually contending again though, they will look OK. They thought they were better than Thibs. Now they have to prove it with having a contending team again.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I know that's a dig, but the fact is it's "not a bad trade" for anyone, not just what this FO wants to accomplish, which you seem to acknowledge because you do not suggest they should have done anything differently in this particular instance.
The other options were to keep Rose. Or hold off for another offer.

There is a percent chance he's going to have a good year wanting that next contract. Perhaps they catch lightning in a bottle for this one season.

If it doesn't work out, let him walk and you have more Cap Space to sign 2 FAs.

They didn't have to trade for a guy that eats into Cap Space for next season. Lopez is a good value contract, but he's not a guy that really moves the needle.

There are / were other options.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
Asumming Pau walks, this team will have some cap space to make a move.

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts

Do they?

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
The other options were to keep Rose. Or hold off for another offer.

There is a percent chance he's going to have a good year wanting that next contract. Perhaps they catch lightning in a bottle for this one season.

If it doesn't work out, let him walk and you have more Cap Space to sign 2 FAs.

They didn't have to trade for a guy that eats into Cap Space for next season. Lopez is a good value contract, but he's not a guy that really moves the needle.

There are / were other options.
Yes, and it's pretty obvious you are not endorsing either of those options as superior.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
You don't trade him for scraps if you believed that he was a fit with Hoiberg and Butler. You can't have 2 guys ignoring their coach at the same time, now they just have one.

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
You don't trade him for scraps if you believed that he was a fit with Hoiberg and Butler. You can't have 2 guys ignoring their coach at the same time, now they just have one.
You trade him because he sucks at basketball and was leaving next year anyway. I don't really see this as as Hoiberg fit issue, as such.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yes, and it's pretty obvious you are not endorsing either of those options as superior.
At some point, you have to trust the highly paid front office to make the right calls. They certainly have much more access to information than I do.

We'll know if they made the right call here soon enough.

·
Premium Member
8,415 Posts
At some point, you have to trust the highly paid front office to make the right calls. They certainly have much more access to information than I do.

We'll know if they made the right call here soon enough.
Lol, amazing.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts