Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
118,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CLEVELAND -- Chicago Bulls point guard Derrick Rose isn't holding in his frustration any longer.

After watching his team give another lackluster effort and lose for the sixth time in the past eight games with a 108-94 loss to the Cleveland Cavaliers on Monday night, the former MVP delivered some emotional words.

"Everybody has to be on the same page," Rose said. "Until then, we're going to continue to get our ass kicked."

Asked who was not on the same page, Rose was quick with a response.

"It's just the whole team," he said.

The Bulls canceled practice on Tuesday.

Rose's comments come amid one of the worst stretches of the Tom Thibodeau era.

The part that irritates players and coaches isn't so much the losing, especially given that the Bulls are playing without starters Joakim Noah (knee/ankle) and Mike Dunleavy (ankle). It's that they're not playing with the type of intensity that has come to define them over Thibodeau's five years as coach in Chicago.

"I think communication is huge," Rose said. "We're quiet when we're out there, and it's leading to them getting easy baskets. We got to give a better effort. It seems like we're not even competing, and it's f---ing irritating."
http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=12197573

·
Oladipo for the people
48,149 Posts
I really think this guy gave up the ability complain to the media about the team when he quit on them in the past.

Bottom line is the Bulls clearly miss Noah on the defensive end.

But it should be a little disheartening to Bulls fans to have Rose run his mouth to the media. If you're the leader, take some responsibility yourself. Hell, even a guy like Melo would have done the cliche "it's on me".

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
This was the same thing that happened in Memphis last year when they played an extended period of time without Marc Gasol. You can't just remove one of the top 5 most impactful defensive players in the league from a team that's built around him and hope to stay solid on that end of the floor.

·
Super Moderator
14,320 Posts
I really think this guy gave up the ability complain to the media about the team when he quit on them in the past.

Bottom line is the Bulls clearly miss Noah on the defensive end.

But it should be a little disheartening to Bulls fans to have Rose run his mouth to the media. If you're the leader, take some responsibility yourself. Hell, even a guy like Melo would have done the cliche "it's on me".
Blah blah I'm a Pacers fan and I don't like Derrick Rose blah blah.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
There are many different ways to lead. Maybe he has determined that this is the best way to reach his guys. Let's see how they do or don't respond.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,149 Posts
Blah blah I'm a Pacers fan and I don't like Derrick Rose blah blah.

Blah blah I'm a Bulls fan and I defend whatever Derrick Rose does blah blah.

Improve your posting please. A comm mod shouldn't be posting like a child.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,149 Posts
There are many different ways to lead. Maybe he has determined that this is the best way to reach his guys. Let's see how they do or don't respond.
I would assume if any of the Bulls players were drinking milk while reading what Rose said had it shoot out their nose.

It would be like Dwight Howard telling the Rockets players they weren't taking things seriously enough and need to grow up.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
I would assume if any of the Bulls players were drinking milk while reading what Rose said had it shoot out their nose.

It would be like Dwight Howard telling the Rockets players they weren't taking things seriously enough and need to grow up.
Eh... I don't disagree that the media has portrayed Rose in that light, but there's no way for us to know how those guys in the locker room view him.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,149 Posts
Eh... I don't disagree that the media has portrayed Rose in that light, but there's no way for us to know how those guys in the locker room view him.
I agree, and the Bulls players have all said the right thing when asked. All I know is remembering guys like Noah being hobbled on the court and shortening his career playing through injuries in the playoffs and having Rose do circus dunks in pre game before sitting. After that and all the dumb shit Rose has said over the years, I've formed my opinion on the guy.

Not to mention he's got quite a bit of work to do on the defensive end himself this year before he calls his team out.

·
Limehouse Blues
26,988 Posts
When everyone is healthy, what is Rose? Is he the 3rd best player on the team? More like the 4th after Noah, Butler, and Gasol. Not sure I care about his opinion if I'm one of those guys and he's making two times what I am. I'd probably want him to shut up and play like a supermax player.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,149 Posts
To be fair, he keeps saying "we" meaning his including himself in that. At least that's what I took out of it.
Oh yea, I don't disagree. He isn't specifically throwing anyone under the bus. I just think if you're a leader you try to take some of the responsibility, not sit there and say everything the team is doing wrong.

·
Administrator
67,765 Posts
Not to mention he's got quite a bit of work to do on the defensive end himself this year before he calls his team out.
He's right about one thing... even bad defenders can improve overall team defense if they would just communicate with their teammates.

·
Registered
10,189 Posts
Maybe I missed something, I don't see what Rose said that's so controversial. He is mad...GOOD, maybe he'll wake the hell up and play like it. Rose has been awful on defense all season, and inconsistent on offense.

More importantly, he didn't single out his teammates and his comments refer to the team, which I assume he is including himself in that discussion (as pointed out, his use of the term "we"). It'd be one thing if he said "Pau isn't doing X", or even if he said "our frontcourt isn't doing X", but he didn't even get that specific.

I also think his teammates respect him just fine. Players don't think like fans. Fans understandably are frustrated with Rose. His teammates know how hard he's worked to get here and were supportive of his decision to sit out.

·
1.7%
7,363 Posts
I see no problem with these comments. These guys were saying all the right things prior, "I need to do more of this and this" blah blah. Rose essentially put pressure on himself and the team to perform and they have done so admirably since. Everyone including himself have finally dedicated themselves on the defensive end

1 - 19 of 19 Posts