6.2rpg
1.4apg
1.77spg
2.44bpg
1.66topg

·
Premium Member
2,683 Posts
I don't think Stevenson is going to get that much playing time. If he did I think he could put up those stats.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Originally posted by <b>IMX</b>!
DeShawn Stevenson:
29mpg
10.7ppg
3.6rpg
2apg
.76spg
.64bpg
1.79topg
Let's take a look at Stevenson's 2002-03 stats:

67 games played (23 starts)
16.9 minutes/game
38.5 FG%
8.0 3Pt% (jesus that's terrible)
69.8 FT%
4.9 points/game
2.0 rebounds/game
1.7 assists/game
1.0 turnovers/game
0.43 steals/game
0.36 blocks/game

Keep in mind that the team has replaced Bryon Russell, Quincy Lewis, and John Starks thus far with CALBERT CHEANEY. What does this mean? WELL, it means that DeShawn Stevenson is being given an OPPORTUNITY here--he WILL get a chance to play, to contribute. I don't think the stats that IMX has posted for Stevenson are out of the question. It's not like those are GREAT stats or anything, you know?

Cheaney was signed not to be "the shooting guard of the future," but as a supercheap insurance policy for Stevenson. Cheaney also is a cheap alternative to Bryon Russell. In any event, WHOEVER wins the starting job at SG for the Jazz next season (Cheaney or Stevenson), you can BE SURE that he will be HANDS DOWN the WORST starting SG in the NBA! Who would be worse? Steve Smith is better, James Posey is better, David Wesley (or possibly Courtney Alexander) is better, Michael Dickerson (or possibly Wesley Person) is better, Penny Hardaway (or Joe Johnson) is better, Kerry Kittles is better. In fact, ALL of the dudes I just mentioned are SIGNIFICANTLY better than either Cheaney or Stevenson!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I think Stevenson is going to get PT this year. If he plays decent defense he will play the majority of the minutes. The Jazz need to decide whether he is part of the future or not. He is on the last year of his rookie contract. I not sure whether the Jazz will pick up the 4th year option or not. He has been working on his shooting with the coaching staff. I think he can improve his FG% but I wouldn't expect his 3PT% to improve a lot immediately. I think Stevenson is having a hard time adjusting his game to the NBA. In HS he was able to go to the rim, elevate over everyone and jam the ball. In the NBA he can't go around and over everyone. He has went from being the most athletic player to being an average athletic player. Hopefully he can put it together.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts