Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Sincerely, Derrick Rose
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Lost Boy: DeShawn Stevenson

It's been three years since he came into the league. and I still can't figure out if he is going to develop into a solid NBA player.

Unlike Bender, last year Bender showed everybody that he has a future in the NBA (while replacing the injured Al Harrington).

The difference between DeShawn and the other high schoolers is that he is under 6'6". The other high schoolers who was drafted are either big guys (Eddy Curry, Amare Stoudemire, Tyson Chandler, Kwame Brown) or a player who has potential to be an all-around player (Kobe, KG, T-Mac, Miles) or Tall athletic players such as Bender, Harrington, Lewis. But, DeShawn is different. He is no doubt very athletic and a pure scorer. It doesn't look like that he will develop into an all around type player.

For me, it looks like that if DeShawn ever become a good NBA player, he will be a similar player to Ricky Davis, an athletic scorer. But, seriously I can't see it right now. I don't even understand why did the jazz draft him 3 years ago. He doesn't have too many upside in his game. I'm just curious on what kind of player he will become. is he going to be Ricky Davis? or Lenny Cooke...

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Re: The Lost Boy: DeShawn Stevenson

Originally posted by <b>RSP83</b>!
It's been three years since he came into the league. and I still can't figure out if he is going to develop into a solid NBA player.

Unlike Bender, last year Bender showed everybody that he has a future in the NBA (while replacing the injured Al Harrington).

The difference between DeShawn and the other high schoolers is that he is under 6'6". The other high schoolers who was drafted are either big guys (Eddy Curry, Amare Stoudemire, Tyson Chandler, Kwame Brown) or a player who has potential to be an all-around player (Kobe, KG, T-Mac, Miles) or Tall athletic players such as Bender, Harrington, Lewis. But, DeShawn is different. He is no doubt very athletic and a pure scorer. It doesn't look like that he will develop into an all around type player.

For me, it looks like that if DeShawn ever become a good NBA player, he will be a similar player to Ricky Davis, an athletic scorer. But, seriously I can't see it right now. I don't even understand why did the jazz draft him 3 years ago. He doesn't have too many upside in his game. I'm just curious on what kind of player he will become. is he going to be Ricky Davis? or Lenny Cooke...
I honestly like the Rickey Davis comparison. I knew when the Jazz drafted him he wasnt going to blossom there even with Stockton running the point. Personally I would love him to be in Philadelphia playing 30 minutes + a game possibly along side Iverson who would have been switched PERMANANTLEY to the PG position. Oh well wishful thinking:sigh:

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Actually I always said Deshawn was a Stackhouse clone. Big time slasher and dunker in hs. Unfortunately he seems too timid in the NBA and that forces him to change his game. He was never much of a jump shooter even in hs but has all the skills to develop into a solid but never great one. His potential was based on his athletic ability. Maybe playing in a Utah offence where there is no slashing but pick and rolls and jump shooting is destroying him. I thought Deshawn would and could still be a very solid pro. I would love to see him on the Nets or Magic cause this kid can sky...Jordanesque.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
if you cant make it in utah where can you make it?,they've made an all star out of matt harpring.at 6-3 stevenson is undersized to be playin the 2g.fact is he's not very good.

·
Incognasho
4,061 Posts
Yes, he would flourish in a New Jersey-type system, where he could run the floor and score in transition.

He doesn't have the mind-set to play in Utah's half-court game very well, although while he was starting at the beginning of the year he had a couple real nice games. Inconsistency with his jump shot seems to be his biggest weakness, because he really does play hardnose defense and has the athleticism.

Just needs to work on his J and get more experience and I think he'll be a solid 2 guard. He's more like 6-5 and he's very quick.

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Originally posted by <b>rainman</b>!
if you cant make it in utah where can you make it?,they've made an all star out of matt harpring.at 6-3 stevenson is undersized to be playin the 2g.fact is he's not very good.
Stevenson is no where near 6-3 if anything hes closer to 6' 6. Everybody doesnt and cant make it with the style of play that Utah does. He needs tons of improvement but Utah style does not suit well with his certain talents

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Sovereignz</b>!
Yes, he would flourish in a New Jersey-type system, where he could run the floor and score in transition.

He doesn't have the mind-set to play in Utah's half-court game very well, although while he was starting at the beginning of the year he had a couple real nice games. Inconsistency with his jump shot seems to be his biggest weakness, because he really does play hardnose defense and has the athleticism.

Just needs to work on his J and get more experience and I think he'll be a solid 2 guard. He's more like 6-5 and he's very quick.
His jumpshot and his effort on the defensive side are the problems. If he really played consistant hardnosed defense he would be on the floor. Sloan is a defense first type of coach and plays whoever he thinks is trying on defense. Stevenson is in Sloan's doghouse most for his defensive effort. If another team made a offer that included a reasonable priced 3 point shooting guard or a defensive stopper I think the Jazz would be willing to trade him. I think a change of scenery and a change of system/team philosophy would help him tremendously.

·
Incognasho
4,061 Posts
Originally posted by <b>JoeF</b>!

If he really played consistant hardnosed defense he would be on the floor. Sloan is a defense first type of coach and plays whoever he thinks is trying on defense. .
You probably see him more than I do, but I thought the reason the Jazz even drafted him was exactly because of that. I recall Sloan saying his defensive posture was amazing for his age and experience and he moved his feet well.

Does he just not have any effort on the floor or is he a poor defender? There's a big difference.. Not trying your hardest anywhere is inexcusable, but he really isn't in a good situation...

·
Registered
1,019 Posts

You probably see him more than I do, but I thought the reason the Jazz even drafted him was exactly because of that. I recall Sloan saying his defensive posture was amazing for his age and experience and he moved his feet well.

Does he just not have any effort on the floor or is he a poor defender? There's a big difference.. Not trying your hardest anywhere is inexcusable, but he really isn't in a good situation...
I think it is mostly about effort. I dont remember hearing much about his defense when we drafted him. All I remember is a lot of hype about his potential and athleticism. I think they took him because he was the player with the most potential on the board. The team had lots of veterans and could afford to have player developing but not contributing.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Originally posted by <b>BEEZ</b>!

Stevenson is no where near 6-3 if anything hes closer to 6' 6. Everybody doesnt and cant make it with the style of play that Utah does. He needs tons of improvement but Utah style does not suit well with his certain talents
come on beez you know stevenson isnt 6-6.matt harpring is about 6-7 tops and stevenson is a good 3 inches shorter than he is.

·
Sincerely, Derrick Rose
3,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I recall Sloan saying his defensive posture was amazing for his age and experience and he moved his feet well.

From what I read, DeShawn is not known for his defense. In the Nbadraft.net profile,

http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/deshawnstevenson.htm

his defense was rated 6 coming out of high school. Even though maybe he's trying hard on defense, Sovereignz is right, DeShawn isn't in a good situation. Cuz, it doesn't look like that Sloan is giving him minutes. Probably that's because DeShawn is not contributing on defense at all.

He doesn't have the mind-set to play in Utah's half-court game very well, although while he was starting at the beginning of the year he had a couple real nice games.
I found a DeShawn Stevenson interview back when he was still playing High School ball. and it's kinda interesting...

BP: So would you consider playing on the East Coast or would you prefer playing here in California?

DS: I kinda like East Coast Ball because of the run and gun. I like the West Coast too, I like a wide open game instead of a slow-down half court set.

http://www.basketballphenoms.com/dsinterview.htm

YEah looks like he's kinda stuck in the Jazz's system...

·
Fomer Admins are Kewl!
15,460 Posts
Originally posted by <b>rainman</b>!

come on beez you know stevenson isnt 6-6.matt harpring is about 6-7 tops and stevenson is a good 3 inches shorter than he is.
I didnt say he was 6' 6":D I siad he was closer to 6' 6". The shortest I would give him is per say 6' 4 3/4" tops. Hes not short by any means

1 - 13 of 13 Posts