Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
67,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Despite Brandon Roy, Luol Deng rumors, look for Bulls to stand pat

The Bulls are interested in Brandon Roy. They have had discussions with teams about trading Luol Deng for a chance to move into the lottery to pick up North Carolina’s Harrison Barnes in Thursday night’s draft. They have also likely kicked around the idea of trading every other player on their roster because exploring options is what quality franchises do during the offseason.

Whatever rumors may be circulating about the Bulls doesn’t change the reality that their best opportunity to remake their roster will come next offseason or the offseason after that.

·
Banned
1,290 Posts
Their best chance to get out of the difficult decisions that are the result of having Derrick Rose and the 2007 Bulls walk a parallel path together toward this moment, is to trade Deng and/or Noah for lotto picks and then aim at another pick in 2013 as a result of "trying our hardest, but just being too young and missing Rose."

Then you have a young team you can finally mold around ROSE, without trying to use the luck of getting Rose to validate the idea that was the 2007 Bulls (I said idea, or basically series of bad ideas).

You never commit to a team until it is ready to win championships in whatever quality of a league you're in. And it aint 2004 or 2005 anymore. This is a good league and Derrick Rose plus a bunch of dudes doesn't win titles in a good league. "By committee" teams win when the league is weak, like 2004 when the Lakers had been gutted over time and had turmoil between their two good players and the rest of the league sucked. Even the greatest teams by committee, like the 90 Pistons, probably only win because Pippen was 23 at the time.

Now you need Rose and another guy or guys closer to Westbrook, Wade, Bosh or Harden than Deng and Noah.

So go young, go cheap, get the highest picks you can get and only commit when you're retooled to beat Miami when they're firing on all cylinders.

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
Their best chance to get out of the difficult decisions that are the result of having Derrick Rose and the 2007 Bulls walk a parallel path together toward this moment, is to trade Deng and/or Noah for lotto picks and then aim at another pick in 2013 as a result of "trying our hardest, but just being too young and missing Rose."

Then you have a young team you can finally mold around ROSE, without trying to use the luck of getting Rose to validate the idea that was the 2007 Bulls (I said idea, or basically series of bad ideas).

You never commit to a team until it is ready to win championships in whatever quality of a league you're in. And it aint 2004 or 2005 anymore. This is a good league and Derrick Rose plus a bunch of dudes doesn't win titles in a good league. "By committee" teams win when the league is weak, like 2004 when the Lakers had been gutted over time and had turmoil between their two good players and the rest of the league sucked. Even the greatest teams by committee, like the 90 Pistons, probably only win because Pippen was 23 at the time.

Now you need Rose and another guy or guys closer to Westbrook, Wade, Bosh or Harden than Deng and Noah.

So go young, go cheap, get the highest picks you can get and only commit when you're retooled to beat Miami when they're firing on all cylinders.
I agree with the general premise. I just don't want to make a move just to make a move (i.e. acquire the #7 with no salary relief). If there is no good trade, then maintain your assets through the season and try to make a consolidation trade by the deadline or the next offseason. At the very worst, it's just going to cost you Taj if JR won't pay the tax two years in a row.

It's fun to rookie watch and hope they pan out into something special, but I think a consolidation trade is the best avenue to improving the team.

Obviously anything can happen, but it appears that next year's draft will be stronger than this one, and trading players for picks can happen then if need be.

·
Banned
1,290 Posts
I agree with the general premise. I just don't want to make a move just to make a move (i.e. acquire the #7 with no salary relief). If there is no good trade, then maintain your assets through the season and try to make a consolidation trade by the deadline or the next offseason. At the very worst, it's just going to cost you Taj if JR won't pay the tax two years in a row.

It's fun to rookie watch and hope they pan out into something special, but I think a consolidation trade is the best avenue to improving the team.

Obviously anything can happen, but it appears that next year's draft will be stronger than this one, and trading players for picks can happen then if need be.
Okay a few things here. Unless you trade both Noah and Deng, you have the player to base a consolidation trade around for almost anyone. Even if it were Dwight Howard, Noah plus Charlotte's pick is the beginnings of an attractive deal. At that point, it's just all about what else you'd have to throw in.

The only way I'd trade Noah or Deng now is for a high lotto pick (at least 7) AND a player who the other team just doesn't want to pay, but whose contract ends sooner than Deng or Noah, preferably at the end of next season. So just to give a couple examples. Let's say Sacramento wanted Deng and was going to send us the #5. They could send us Thompson, Fredette and Garcia's contracts (just giving salary examples), and we could free ourselves of those at the end of next year. It would be easier with Sacramento if they had one guy whose contract ends next summer, but I had to scramble for examples. We would NOT take say Chuck Hayes deal as that defeats a major purpose of the trade.

We're seeking youth, freedom and flexibility.

I'd also be okay with trading with a bad team that's going to be bad for an unprotected pick next year. So Deng to Charlotte (lol) for their first round pick in 2013 unprotected, since I know next year will be a good season.

I'm not too concerned with the PLAYER we draft. If we draft a guy like Barnes and he doesn't pan out, the new rules, which were not in place in 07, allow us to waive him in the summer of 2014.

To me it wouldn't be the end of the world if you shipped say.. Noah to Washington for Nene and Kidd-Gilchrist and Deng to GSW for Barnes. Then you draft Will Buford and at the end of next season you have a shot to win the lotto, you're not committed to any of these guys, your franchise center-piece is STILL Derrick Rose, and if you're Reinee, you can fire Paxson and get a salesman who can sell top free agents on playing next to Derrick. Then next summer you amnesty Boozer and then if you don't get the guy you absolutely WANT in free agency, you WAIT and hold the money over till you do. If you can't sell top guys on Derrick Rose then you are not an NBA GM and need to go home.

It would also be great to be in the position to sign Howard outright without having to deal with Orlando if they let him get to free agency.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
While I can see how trading Deng for Richard Jefferson and the 7 pick can hurt us in the short term, I honestly don't see how it would hurt us in the long run, ESPECIALLY if the Bulls feel like the target they want at #7 is going to be very good NBA player. I have my reservations about Harrison Barnes but I would love to see the Bulls get MKG, that guy has Noah's motor with more talent.

·
Banned
1,290 Posts
While I can see how trading Deng for Richard Jefferson and the 7 pick can hurt us in the short term, I honestly don't see how it would hurt us in the long run, ESPECIALLY if the Bulls feel like the target they want at #7 is going to be very good NBA player. I have my reservations about Harrison Barnes but I would love to see the Bulls get MKG, that guy has Noah's motor with more talent.
I still want Drummond, who will likely be the #3 pick. Why not Noah for Nene and the #3?

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
the last thing the bulls need to do is stand pat .

they have a golden opportunity to really advance themselves and they are apparently going to let it slip by them.

they basically too good at anywhere near full health the get good picks , they have seasoned young veteran players who are being fairly compensated for their services (meaning no big free agent cap space), so really they are almost at their ceiling .

but its not a championship ceiling, not really . they aren't better than the heat, and its really not that close.

they have a chance to acquire a legit #2 guy to supplement rose by either trade or tanking , or both .

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
I still want Drummond, who will likely be the #3 pick. Why not Noah for Nene and the #3?
No way Drummond goes #3. I think Bradley Beal has locked down the #3 pick, Beal and Wall would make up one dynamic back court. Why trade Nene for Noah? Heck why draft a project like Drummond when they could not even develop Javale McGee?

I like Drummond, but hes project who doesn't have a massive ceiling.

·
X-Mas Taker
8,947 Posts
No way Drummond goes #3. I think Bradley Beal has locked down the #3 pick, Beal and Wall would make up one dynamic back court. Why trade Nene for Noah? Heck why draft a project like Drummond when they could not even develop Javale McGee?

i think beal goes #2 , the bobcats want to trade down and quite a few teams want to trade up.

·
Banned
1,290 Posts

Laurence Holmes was saying that NBA people are all saying that Drummond is probably the #2 prospect. A player like Beal needs to be a lot better at basketball than Drummond to have the same affect.

Drummond has a massive ceiling. Anyone who can do more than limp at his height has a massive ceiling.

My thought process is to get a player like Drummond along with a player like Nene and then you can try to get a big scoring swingman next draft.

Drummond
Nene
Deng
Buford
Rose (who would only return at the end of next season)

This would be your lineup at the end of next season, in this particular scenario, and then you can go for a James McAdoo, Shabazz Mohammad, etc.

We can remake this team with size and athleticism and be ready to challenge the Heat in 2014...

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Laurence Holmes was saying that NBA people are all saying that Drummond is probably the #2 prospect. A player like Beal needs to be a lot better at basketball than Drummond to have the same affect.

Drummond has a massive ceiling. Anyone who can do more than limp at his height has a massive ceiling.

My thought process is to get a player like Drummond along with a player like Nene and then you can try to get a big scoring swingman next draft.

Drummond
Nene
Deng
Buford
Rose (who would only return at the end of next season)

This would be your lineup at the end of next season, in this particular scenario, and then you can go for a James McAdoo, Shabazz Mohammad, etc.

We can remake this team with size and athleticism and be ready to challenge the Heat in 2014...
Well if anyone who can do more than Limp at his size has massive ceiling, then Meyers Leonard has a higher ceiling than Drummond.

·
Banned
1,290 Posts
Well if anyone who can do more than Limp at his size has massive ceiling, then Meyers Leonard has a higher ceiling than Drummond.
Meyers Leonard is 245, not 275. 245 isn't big. I don't know how people forget this, but 245 lb. players like Horace Grant could not guard 255 lb. players like Patrick Ewing, so a 10 lb. difference is huge. We're in an era where coaches and GMs have forgotten that, which is why Kupchak with Bynum gets Gasol and walks to two titles.

I'd want a Muhammad if that kind of player were there. He isn't. And what you have at the skill positions is a bunch of guys who I expect a chump GM to like as much as he likes Deng. Harrison Barnes? Just like Deng, he's not a #2 on a title team.

Since the only championship #2 is Davis, my strategy would be size. Because let's face it. We'll have two drafts before we're in another ECF as a real threat.

But this is less about the player. I think you agree we overpaid Deng and Noah and therefore they have to take on roles that they just don't have the talent and skill portfolio to occupy.

What we do here is make it so we can go way under the cap. We would then NOT commit to another player at the 13+ million level unless that player fits a role we need, i.e. second best player who is a threat against teams like Miami and OKC.

It's less about the player. It's more about freedom.

·
Anti Monday Morning QB
6,181 Posts
Oh? I hadn't heard Drummond to Washington yet, or are you assuming someone trades up for him?

All I keep hearing about Washington is it will be Beal or Kidd Gilchrist, unless Cleveland makes a deal to move up to #2. My own take is I see Drummond going at 5 or 7, either to be kept or in a trade.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Meyers Leonard is 245, not 275. 245 isn't big. I don't know how people forget this, but 245 lb. players like Horace Grant could not guard 255 lb. players like Patrick Ewing, so a 10 lb. difference is huge.
Leonard is 2inches taller and going by the workouts he also benched pressed more times than Drummond. So even though Andre is heavier, its not out the question that Meyers is stonger.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I am in a state of shock after reading that the Bulls are going to stand pat. :|

In other news, the sun will rise tomorrow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts