Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was a record at 2, but it's still going and it's up to 5. Detroit held Philadelphia to 69 points today. The crowd was electric in the final minute encouraging them to get one more defensive stop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,859 Posts
That's pretty amazing. A lot of analysts bash them for not picking Carmelo but it's clear why they wanted to stick with their guy Tayshaun. They wanted to establish their identity as a defensive team and Melo would've probably disrupted that chemistry.
 

·
Top Of The Pops
Joined
·
27,472 Posts
Holy crap.

Could Bill Russell even break into this team's starting lineup?

:joke:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
493 Posts
If a team let me shoot every single posession during a 48 minute game, I would not score only 70, but over a 100 points by myself against this Detroit team.

This is just more proof of how pathetic players are today.

No wonder NBA all stars get wooped by some countries with populations smaller than New York city area.

Tragic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,350 Posts
Originally posted by <b>froggyvk</b>!
It was a record at 2, but it's still going and it's up to 5. Detroit held Philadelphia to 69 points today. The crowd was electric in the final minute encouraging them to get one more defensive stop.
lets keep in mind froggy that the competition has been weak, but like in bowling you can only knock down the pins they put up in front of you. i was glad to see darko put up some defense to preserve the record. i still would like to see him more agressive on the offensive end. on that 2nd shot he put up against delambert i would have pumped faked and took one dribble and dunked it but that will come with time.

p.s. i'm purposely avoiding the last two comments about bill russell cracking the starting lineup and therealdeal scoring 100, i'm not falling for that bait.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
493 Posts
But, I would score at least a 100.

in 48 minutes I could take 100 shots, given the fact that I shoot threes better than Peja I'd estimate making at least 50 shots, 30-40 of those threes, so on thress alone we are talking about 90-120 points.

For the record I can shoot from 32 feet out without having to force it. Without defense ( in practice ) I used to make 60-70 out of 100 shooting from NBA three point line to 30 feet out.

So using 4 guys on my team as screens and moving between them I'd make at least 1/2 of that percentage.

In a 7-8 hour long game way back I went 2 hours without missing a shot, shooting probably once every minute or two.
 

·
What Do You Know??? Shaqtus
Joined
·
20,601 Posts
Originally posted by <b>therealdeal</b>!
But, I would score at least a 100.

in 48 minutes I could take 100 shots, given the fact that I shoot threes better than Peja I'd estimate making at least 50 shots, 30-40 of those threes, so on thress alone we are talking about 90-120 points.

For the record I can shoot from 32 feet out without having to force it. Without defense ( in practice ) I used to make 60-70 out of 100 shooting from NBA three point line to 30 feet out.

So using 4 guys on my team as screens and moving between them I'd make at least 1/2 of that percentage.

In a 7-8 hour long game way back I went 2 hours without missing a shot, shooting probably once every minute or two.
Unless your Larry Bird that traveled from the past when he wa in his prime i find this highly unlikely... And, why arent you in the NBA, if your that good...
 

·
Top Of The Pops
Joined
·
27,472 Posts
Re: Re: Detroit holds 5th straight opponent under 70 points

Originally posted by <b>rainman</b>!

p.s. i'm purposely avoiding the last two comments about bill russell cracking the starting lineup
Uh, did you miss that "Just Kidding" smiley?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,925 Posts
I think Sheed was the perfect addition to the defense. Hes a great post defender, and that makes Ben Wallace even more dangerous. Sheed is one of the best in the league at man defense in the post, not one of the best shotblockers, but man defense and making his man take a tough shot or pass it off. With BWallace on the helpside defense, and Sheed making the guy take a tough shot anyways, it makes it very hard to score on the inside on Detriot. Then you throw in their perimeter defense with Prince, etc. They are very good on defense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,552 Posts
Can't forget Lindsey Hunter either.

He won't get any press for it, but he is one of the best lockdown defensive guards in the league. He hustles and traps like a madman and you can forget about taking him off the dribble. When Rip was out and Lindsey was starting, on two consecutive possessions Flip Murray tried to shake him and Lindsey ripped him both times and took it the other way, he ended up with 6 steals on the day.

Allen Iverson even told Larry Brown he's the best on-ball defender he's played against.

He was a big part of the first 3 games of the streak. Starting at shooting guard he held the opposing starting shooting guards to a combined 18 points and had 8 steals.

Gotta love role players who can make a difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,448 Posts
Originally posted by <b>therealdeal</b>!
But, I would score at least a 100.

in 48 minutes I could take 100 shots, given the fact that I shoot threes better than Peja I'd estimate making at least 50 shots, 30-40 of those threes, so on thress alone we are talking about 90-120 points.

For the record I can shoot from 32 feet out without having to force it. Without defense ( in practice ) I used to make 60-70 out of 100 shooting from NBA three point line to 30 feet out.

So using 4 guys on my team as screens and moving between them I'd make at least 1/2 of that percentage.

In a 7-8 hour long game way back I went 2 hours without missing a shot, shooting probably once every minute or two.
Hmm yeah
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,144 Posts
Originally posted by <b>therealdeal</b>!
But, I would score at least a 100.

in 48 minutes I could take 100 shots, given the fact that I shoot threes better than Peja I'd estimate making at least 50 shots, 30-40 of those threes, so on thress alone we are talking about 90-120 points.

For the record I can shoot from 32 feet out without having to force it. Without defense ( in practice ) I used to make 60-70 out of 100 shooting from NBA three point line to 30 feet out.

So using 4 guys on my team as screens and moving between them I'd make at least 1/2 of that percentage.

In a 7-8 hour long game way back I went 2 hours without missing a shot, shooting probably once every minute or two.
:mrt: :no:
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
67,770 Posts
Is Therealldeal Chris Mullin? I hear he hasn't missed in practice since the early 90's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,548 Posts
A couple of weeks ago Steve Kerr, calling a Kings games, mentioned that Peja stays after every practice and shoots 100 threes and 100 free throws. Kerr said he watched him make 87 out of 100 threes. Kerr - the best percentage 3 point shooter in NBA history (albiet as a role player, not a featured scorer), said he had never done that or seen anybody do that before ever.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,580 Posts
I don't know.. I'm still not scared by detroit. The win over Portland was impressive, but since then they've been holding bad teams under 70 pts, which isn't all that hard. Denver has been struggling, and seattle, portland, and philly are just horrible horrible teams. Detroit is a good defensive team, we all know that, so holding those teams under 70 points isn't even that big of a surprise for me.

Let's see how they do against the Nets. If they hold a fast pace team such as the nets under 70 points, then i'll be truly impressed.:yes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,350 Posts
Originally posted by <b>c_dog</b>!
I don't know.. I'm still not scared by detroit. The win over Portland was impressive, but since then they've been holding bad teams under 70 pts, which isn't all that hard. Denver has been struggling, and seattle, portland, and philly are just horrible horrible teams. Detroit is a good defensive team, we all know that, so holding those teams under 70 points isn't even that big of a surprise for me.

Let's see how they do against the Nets. If they hold a fast pace team such as the nets under 70 points, then i'll be truly impressed.:yes:

you can only play the teams on your shcedule, i agree the competition is weak but detroit is better than they were, i hate to admit it because i dont like larry brown but he's got those guys playing some serious defense. heck their number 3 center(darko)is a better defender than most guys in the eastern conferance and he cant even get off the bench.
 
1 - 20 of 84 Posts
Top