Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Please give me a freakin break.

In a league were only 2 teams can crack a 100 consistently while the rest of the teams struggle to put up between 80 and 90 points, specialy in the pathetic east, this record is absolutely meaningless.

What the Bad Boy teams of the 80's did, that was impresive!!! They were holding teams to the low 90's when the scores were usually in the 110's to 120+. That was a feat.

This scrub filled Pistons team isn't even the best defensive team in today's joke of league and when they get knocked out before the ECF's that's just gonna reinforce my point.

·
Registered
861 Posts
You guys that are trying to argue the merit of the Piston's achievment should just give it up, because it's obvious these guys are being irrational here.

3 road games against non-cellar teams in the West is not that easy, it's something that every team does on their schedule at some point, and NO ONE has done it in the history of the NBA post-shotclock. This means that this Pistons team, post-Racheed, is one of the top defensive teams of ALL-TIME.

Some of these comments are ridiculous. Like comparing this to the Jordan era -- this lacks historical perspective. The Jordan era was more about Illegal D than Jordan himself; an era of ISO plays and sneaker dealers dominating the game. So of course no one during this period is going to set any defensive records because defense was being handicapped.

However, the Bad Boys and Showtime Lakers came before the Illegal D (and before the silly 2-on-2 style high scoring business), were defensive pioneers (largely why the rule was implemented, as well as marketing Jordan), and yet never achieved this. Teams scored high then because Riley's Lakers and later the Bad Boys pioneered the defense that is used today. In fact, the Lakers and Bad Boys had things easier because they did not have all the directives that were in place in 1999-2000; probably the most significant being they could hand-check with abandon, which Riley's teams used ot pummel people that entered the paint and was not used much in the past.

And the comment of the Mavs scoring more than 100 being akin to the Pistons keeping 5 consecutive teams sub-70 is absolutely ignorant. Countless teams have scored 100+, five games in a row. Only one, in decades, has held five opponents under 70. How hard is it to understand?

I'm just kind of baffled by this because people will gush about some jive-*** star on some crappy team putting up 40+ points, yet will overlook the actual unique, significant things like how the Pistons are setting a handful of all-time records, the Rockets are close to beating the opp. FG% record set by the Spurs earlier (post-shotclock), and how Lebron's rookie stats are amazing when you compare it to the stats of other straight from HS players or the legends who were 22 or so when they entered the league.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Showtime84'</b>!
Please give me a freakin break.

In a league were only 2 teams can crack a 100 consistently while the rest of the teams struggle to put up between 80 and 90 points, specialy in the pathetic east, this record is absolutely meaningless.

What the Bad Boy teams of the 80's did, that was impresive!!! They were holding teams to the low 90's when the scores were usually in the 110's to 120+. That was a feat.

This scrub filled Pistons team isn't even the best defensive team in today's joke of league and when they get knocked out before the ECF's that's just gonna reinforce my point.
Okay I understand it now.

It's jealousy, plain and simple. Calling Detroit a "scrub filled team" shows your hate.

Nuff said. Blinded by homerism, that's all.

·
MVP
8,996 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mike luvs KG</b>!
Funny, seeing as how Houston was one of the teams that got held below 70 during their 2 game streak earlier this season.
The Rockets are a very poor offensive team, they only average 88.9 ppg (5th worse in the league, and has been boosted recently with a high scoring March month). What Detroit has done is a remarkable achievement, no doubt, but it's not like they are striking fear into the hearts of the West's top teams. Yet.

·
Registered
6,580 Posts

So the Pistons aren't more intimidating to teams today because they couldn't have done this back in 1992? That doesn't make sense.

And the Pistons holding an oppenent under 70 is absolutely nothing lik ehte Mavs scoring over 100. It's nowhere near even close to being the same thing. If you want to compare it to an offensive achievement, holding oppenents under 70 is about the equivelant of scoring 120 points without overtime.

Your logic doesn't make any sense, it's not an impressive feat because the Pistons are a good defensive team? That's like holding their own defensive talent against them.

The fact is, there have been a lot of very talented defensive teams throughout the years, and none of them have been able to do this. And don't give me the "scoring is way down" thing because there were bad teams in Jordan's era too.

If you think this streak is a result of bad teams missing shots rather than one team playing amazing defense than you are gravely mistaken and obviously haven't been watching.
That's not what I said. You misunderstood. I'm basically saying that the streak happened when scoring has reached an all time low. Coincidence? Naw, defense is just really good nowadays, and offense is also pretty bad.

I said the feat is impressive, just not "oh they must be the best defensive team ever assembled" impressive. I just think you guys are making way too big a deal out of this. If this is the best defensive team ever assembled, let's see if they can even hold their own against the west. Heck, let's see if they can even reach the finals.

OT: There were bad teams in the Jordan era, but few scored below 70. I remember. There were bad teams but they could still score.

·
Skokie, IL 60076
17,170 Posts
Defenses now are so much more complex. offenses haven't figured out the zone defense (however poor almost every team utilizes it) Pro sets can't crack it. Yeah, the shooting is poor now but the defenses have improved way more than the rate of offenses digressing.

Det 70
NJ 61 with 6 minutes left in the fourth.

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
haha, goodness. That game was way too competitive at the end for a 20 point blowout.

·
Heat fan since 2001
7,145 Posts
Wow it was pretty close.
NJ breaks the record with a last second tip.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
The Nets foul with 13 seconds left to get an extra possession? Come on, seriously. Aaron Williams tips the ball in with his fist to get 71 and then pumps his fist like he just won an NBA championship. :rolleyes:

·
Skokie, IL 60076
17,170 Posts
wow New Jersey got 71. Detroit really wanted it. It's nice to see a team that prides itself on the defensive end. Congrats on Detroit for officially grabbing a playoff spot. Now it's teams held under 75 or so.

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
that was hilarious.....Nj didnt want to be part of the streak, and i dont blame em...scorin under 70 is embarrasing and they didnt want to be part of it...still what they did wasnt right, but cnt blame em

·
Skokie, IL 60076
17,170 Posts
The Nets foul with 13 seconds left to get an extra possession? Come on, seriously. Aaron Williams tips the ball in with his fist to get 71 and then pumps his fist like he just won an NBA championship. :rolleyes:
It's a dubious recognition to be part of the streak.

Still, it's like bunting during a pitcher's perfect game in the late innings.

·
Player
7,852 Posts
Looks like the Nets won't be hanging up another Eastern Conference champ banner this year.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jtx</b>!
Looks like the Nets won't be hanging up another Eastern Conference champ banner this year.
You can say that again! The Pistons finally have that missing piece to the puzzle - Rasheed. Does anybody think the Pistons can't win it all now? I don't see any western teams that can take them. Larry Brown will finally "WIN" that ohhhh-sooo elusive trophy.:)

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jtx</b>!
Why's that?

Detroit flat out played better than the Nets tonight. But it was one game, a regular season game at that. The previous two teams the Nets played in the ECF's had superior head to head regular season records vs. the Nets.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Petey</b>!
It's way more likely for a team to benefit from a positive steak along with the wins, then just the wins themselves.

Their accomplishment is amazing. Lets say the Mavs hold teams to 80 and score 120 for the next 7 games. Is that pure dominance different then just winning 7 games? Yes it is.

As Nets fans when we had our win streak, and remember the streak we had in double digit victories? Our guys loved it.

I compare this to a team running away with a game and a team trying to make a stop. Instead of a game, it's the rest of the season. Instead of calling a time out, or fouling someone, we did what he had to deflate the Pistons a bit.

-Petey
I'm for 1 glad we stopped 1 streak tonight honestly.

-Petey

·
Registered
6,580 Posts
Wow. The pistons might have something afterall. I'll be keeping my eye on them in the offseason.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts