Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
22,939 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jtx</b>!
Looks like the Nets won't be hanging up another Eastern Conference champ banner this year.
how can you say that? Say it ends up kings vs. nets in the finals, I couldn't just say "Looks like the kings won't be winning" since the nets beat them the other day. You can't base it on one night. Yes, the nets aren't as good as the past few years, but its not like they are done for good, you don't know whats gonna happen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
493 Posts
Meaningless records

Detroits 5 games holding opponents under 70 pts is meaningless and not impressive at all.

Why???

Because even a crappy team like Cleveland held opponts under 75 points 17 games in a row a few years ago.

Yes, only 5 points more allowed than Detroit, but for 17 games, not only 5 like Detroit.

Why Lebron's 20/5/5 are meaningless too despite people mentioning that only a few rookies had those kinds of numbers.

Because those other rookies all shot over 50%, that's why, ANYBODY can do it the Lebron way while shooting onbly 40% in 40 minutes.

How about this.

Adrian Dantley is the only player ever to average more than 30 points per game on better than 55% shooting

90% of people here don't even know who Adrian Dantley is, and according to those stats if we are to follow these meaningless stats scenarios he should be the best player ever.

The point of all this.

It's all nonsense, just Like Lebron hype and bricklaying teams like Detroit.

All that matters is real players shoot around 50% or better and most importantly win games.

A bricklayer like Lebron is crap and will always be crap as a player, and a 6'11" guy like KG who only shoots around 49-50% and cannot get out of the first round in 9 years can never be considered a great player, no matter what kind of other stats he puts up.

And a 6'11" guy like Jermaine O'Neal shooting only 43% is a piece of you know what, no matter what anybody says.

Don't even get me started on T-Mac , AI and guys like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,527 Posts
Re: Meaningless records

Originally posted by <b>therealdeal</b>!How about this.

Adrian Dantley is the only player ever to average more than 30 points per game on better than 55% shooting
and 2 of the 3 years he did it his teams won 28 and 25 games.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,527 Posts
the league fg% hovered below 46% for much of the 70s. guess what happens in '77? the run-and-gun aba merges with the nba. guess what happens next? we see a steady increase in fg% until it peaks in '84 at 50%. it didn't start with magic and bird showing a new way to play the game. it was a simple change in style. by '87, we're already down to 48%.

fg%'s are down now for a number of reasons. so are scores. it's not just early entrants. i assure you if you drop byron scott into today's game, he doesn't shoot 54% from the field, as he did in '85, as good a shooter as he was. guarantee.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
22,939 Posts
I actually agree with the realdeal on something...never thought I'd see the day.

But yes, I agree, the streak is/was meaningless. As was the nets winning streak, as was the magics losing streak, as was any other streak this season. They're great while they are happening, but in the bigger picture, what does it matter. You could make the argument that the streaks had an effect on their record, but it doesn't matter if they come in a row or throughout the season. All that matters when the playoffs start is winning the games then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,552 Posts
Realdeal, what makes you happy? Why are you wasting your time watching a league you obviously loathe so much and then wasting our time by writing about?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,144 Posts
therealdeal, you go on about meaningless stats, but you also seem to hold FG% as the most important stat of all.

It's not really all that important. CONTRIBUTION TO SUCCESS is what matters, however you achieve that. Some players achieve it by scoring lots (regardless of their FG%) - some do it by getting lots of assists and rebounds. Some do it by playing limited minutes but scoring a high % in those minutes.

What matters is putting a team together whose COMBINED talents are enough to win ballgames. LeBron is a scorer. He is also very young. Most of the big scorers, especially the guards, shoot 45% or worse from the field, but they are still doing a good job (2/21 nights aside). For the Cavs, Lebron scores the most (as he is the most natural scorer on the team), Z posts up and defends big men, and shoots well from mid range, Boozer shoots a high % FROM CLOSE RANGE and gets the boards. McInnis and Williams have done a nice job in fitting round the 3 main pieces to good effect.

FG% on its own is pretty meaningless.

Oh by the way, care to back up your statement about Cleveland with evidence? I have checked all the schedules back to 96/97, and no such streak exists in that time. The best they managed was 4 games in a row under 76 pts, which is nowehere near as good.

Detroits streak may be effectively meaningless, but it is nonetheless impressive.
 

·
We Warriors
Joined
·
15,623 Posts
Re: Meaningless records

Originally posted by <b>therealdeal</b>!
Detroits 5 games holding opponents under 70 pts is meaningless and not impressive at all.

Why???

Because even a crappy team like Cleveland held opponts under 75 points 17 games in a row a few years ago.

Yes, only 5 points more allowed than Detroit, but for 17 games, not only 5 like Detroit.

Why Lebron's 20/5/5 are meaningless too despite people mentioning that only a few rookies had those kinds of numbers.

Because those other rookies all shot over 50%, that's why, ANYBODY can do it the Lebron way while shooting onbly 40% in 40 minutes.

How about this.

Adrian Dantley is the only player ever to average more than 30 points per game on better than 55% shooting

90% of people here don't even know who Adrian Dantley is, and according to those stats if we are to follow these meaningless stats scenarios he should be the best player ever.

The point of all this.

It's all nonsense, just Like Lebron hype and bricklaying teams like Detroit.

All that matters is real players shoot around 50% or better and most importantly win games.

A bricklayer like Lebron is crap and will always be crap as a player, and a 6'11" guy like KG who only shoots around 49-50% and cannot get out of the first round in 9 years can never be considered a great player, no matter what kind of other stats he puts up.

And a 6'11" guy like Jermaine O'Neal shooting only 43% is a piece of you know what, no matter what anybody says.

Don't even get me started on T-Mac , AI and guys like that.
I agree with all of your post 67%.

1. Pistons against 5 bad teams record: show they are one of the best defensive team.

2. Lebron stats: show he has good skills.

3. KG's Playoffs: I never consider KG is a great player. Only American reporter and the people who don't know basketball consider kg as MVP.
 

·
Incognasho
Joined
·
4,061 Posts
Originally posted by <b>JazzMan</b>!
Oh by the way, care to back up your statement about Cleveland with evidence? I have checked all the schedules back to 96/97, and no such streak exists in that time. The best they managed was 4 games in a row under 76 pts, which is nowehere near as good.

Detroits streak may be effectively meaningless, but it is nonetheless impressive.
Their best stretch from 1985-current was when they held four opponents to 73, 62, 72, and 75 points in 1996.

Your arguments are more compelling without the bogus history lessons, but it's like comparing a rotten egg to spoiled milk.. smells bad either way, just a different kind of stink.. so preach on..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
Detroits 5 games holding opponents under 70 pts is meaningless and not impressive at all.

Why???

Because even a crappy team like Cleveland held opponts under 75 points 17 games in a row a few years ago.

Yes, only 5 points more allowed than Detroit, but for 17 games, not only 5 like Detroit.
An actual, valid point. I'm not sure if the fact you cite is correct, but it's a good point if it is.

Why Lebron's 20/5/5 are meaningless too despite people mentioning that only a few rookies had those kinds of numbers.
The only other rookies to put up those numbers were MJ and the big O, not "only a few other rookies had those numbers."

Because those other rookies all shot over 50%, that's why, ANYBODY can do it the Lebron way while shooting onbly 40% in 40 minutes
Using FG% to say that one player is offensively better or more effective for his team than another is incorrect and ignorant. And before you argue, this doesn't mean I'm saying Lebron is offensively efficent. If you want to respond, respond with why FG% is the valid measurement for offensive efficency.

How about this.

Adrian Dantley is the only player ever to average more than 30 points per game on better than 55% shooting

90% of people here don't even know who Adrian Dantley is, and according to those stats if we are to follow these meaningless stats scenarios he should be the best player ever.

The point of all this.

It's all nonsense, just Like Lebron hype and bricklaying teams like Detroit.
You aren't making logical sense. First you bash Lebron for a low FG%, then you say the stats don't mean anything. Which is it?


All that matters is real players shoot around 50% or better and most importantly win games.
This again is an ignorant statement. FG% is not an effective means of measuring the quality of a player, in fact, it isn't very effective in measuring offensive efficency.

A bricklayer like Lebron is crap and will always be crap as a player, and a 6'11" guy like KG who only shoots around 49-50% and cannot get out of the first round in 9 years can never be considered a great player, no matter what kind of other stats he puts up.

And a 6'11" guy like Jermaine O'Neal shooting only 43% is a piece of you know what, no matter what anybody says.

Don't even get me started on T-Mac , AI and guys like that.
Basketball is not 1on1. The 11 other guys on your team matter. Quite a bit in fact.
 

·
We Warriors
Joined
·
15,623 Posts
which is more important to win, shooting accuracy (fg) or point per game?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
"3. KG's Playoffs: I never consider KG is a great player. Only American reporter and the people who don't know basketball consider kg as MVP."


I put this quote on my IM Away message and got like 5 messages sayin I was "F***in retarded"... "should be banned from ever looking at another basketball... I had to tell them it was someone on a message board. Needless to say... I SLIGHTLY disagree
 

·
We Warriors
Joined
·
15,623 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Kray_Z_Cat</b>!
"3. KG's Playoffs: I never consider KG is a great player. Only American reporter and the people who don't know basketball consider kg as MVP."


I put this quote on my IM Away message and got like 5 messages sayin I was "F***in retarded"... "should be banned from ever looking at another basketball... I had to tell them it was someone on a message board. Needless to say... I SLIGHTLY disagree
talk to magic johnson in regard to KG's 7 years' playoffs, then you'll understand.

Remember it is playoff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
59 Posts
KG has help this year.... now if they get ousted in the 1st round this year... then you have ME convinced.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,047 Posts
Ohh, RD. Give Kareem some dap. Don't just state Dantley was the ONLY one to go 30 PPG/55%.

http://www.basketballreference.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=ABDULKA01

1970-73, I believe. Bob McAdoo was very close in 73-74 whikle he played in the ABA.

As far as your point, stop obsessing over FG%. Just stop. If it were high, you'd probably blame bad defense.

Want high FG%? Look at Shaq. But I'm sure you think Shaq owns the refs, so you'd like the refs to not call so many fouls. But if they do that, there'll be more no-call muggings and missed shots. And I'm sure it will cycle on in some imperfect way, which sucks for a game for people with human players and refs. Psssh.
 
61 - 80 of 84 Posts
Top