Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NJ is 4 1/2 games behind Detriot. They have a tough schedule leading up to the all-star break, with games at New Orleans, Jersey, Dallas and then the Kings at home. Nets have a much easier week, with Philly, Orlando, at home and Cleveland on the road. The only team that SHOULD give us trouble is the Pistons themselves. If we head into the all-star break at least 3-1, possibly 4-0, and Detroit goes 2-2 or 1-3, we have an excellent chance of catching them in wins. The two games following the all-star break also favor the Nets, with games against Toronto and Atlanta while the Pistons face the Bucks and Twolves. However, if the Nets dont take advantage of this, Detroit has a good chance to distance themselves from NJ with a long stretch of easy teams.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
I think catching Detroit is a good goal for the next month. Even if the Nets win the Atlantic, the team with the better record would have home court in a 2 vs. 3 match-up in the 2nd round (see Dallas/Sacramento last year), so catching Detroit, even if Indiana is out of reach, is important.

I still don't think the #1 seed is out of the question.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Originally posted by <b>schub</b>!
I think catching Detroit is a good goal for the next month. Even if the Nets win the Atlantic, the team with the better record would have home court in a 2 vs. 3 match-up in the 2nd round (see Dallas/Sacramento last year), so catching Detroit, even if Indiana is out of reach, is important.

I still don't think the #1 seed is out of the question.
With the Pacer's history in the 2nd halves (of the last few years), I think there is a shot. But the Nets can not rely on other teams wanting to give them games, they have to take them.

-Petey

·
Premium Member
19,992 Posts
Originally posted by <b>R-Star</b>!
You have to remember that the Pacers had Isiah Thomas as their coach and not Rick Carlisle.
Very good point...Carlisle(for the first few years anyway)is a great motivator...Isiah is similar to Scott...they think that just because they won some titles, they just have to show up for work and the same will happen. Frank and Carlisle are very similar CEPT we got the players Coach!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
True, Thomas had proved he was not a good coach. With that, as said the Nets have to get the wins instead of wait for someone to falter.

-Petey

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Originally posted by <b>PSUmtj112</b>!

Didn't Carlise's Pistons stuggles just like the Nets and the Pacers in the second half of last year?

I remember a stretch last year where all three teams couldn't buy a win.
19-16 after the break, including a 7 game losing streak.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,150 Posts
Originally posted by <b>PSUmtj112</b>!

Didn't Carlise's Pistons stuggles just like the Nets and the Pacers in the second half of last year?

I remember a stretch last year where all three teams couldn't buy a win.
Not sure, but probably. Every team goes through rough patches. But he is a huge upgrade over thomas.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Tom</b>!
Kind of makes you wish Kenyon got snubbed again:)
Yup Tom, so he played like a beast again, and so he would not command max dollars in the offseason.

-Petey

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Detroit lost to New Orleans last night, so the Nets are within 3 1/2 of them, and only 2 back in the loss column.

Nets' last 3 before the break:
2/08 Philadelphia
2/10 Detroit
2/11 @ Cleveland

Pistons' last 3 before the break:
2/07 @ Dallas
2/10 @ New Jersey
2/11 Sacramento

Things look somewhat favorable for the Nets to get within a 1/2 game, and actually ahead of them in the loss column by the break.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Well, with a win over the Pistons tomorrow night, the Nets will tie them in the loss column.

One of the things I plan on doing over the All-Star break (along with analyzing Nets stats under Frank vs. under Scott) is to take a look at the winning % of future opponents for the Nets, Pistons, and Pacers.

And maybe the Knicks too. :eek:

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
I'm looking forward to the results. I don't have a good read on what the Pistons and Pacers' strength of schedule has been so far and what it will be in the 2nd half of the season. If the Nets have an easier schedule the rest of the way in comparison, they should reasonably take 2nd in W-L standings with a chance at 1st.

I'd like to see a Nets/Knicks post-season match-up at some point, too - instant classic.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Originally posted by <b>NYCbballFan</b>!
I'm looking forward to the results. I don't have a good read on what the Pistons and Pacers' strength of schedule has been so far and what it will be in the 2nd half of the season. If the Nets have an easier schedule the rest of the way in comparison, they should reasonably take 2nd in W-L standings with a chance at 1st.

I'd like to see a Nets/Knicks post-season match-up at some point, too - instant classic.
It would really be something if Frank could get us back up there with the elite (elite I mean by record, not just first in the weak Atlantic). Not only is this exciting for me now, I wonder if he could speed up Kristic's transition to the NBA like he has helped Zoran do, more so then Scott.

-Petey

·
*Floor General*
7,589 Posts
Originally posted by <b>schub</b>!
Well, with a win over the Pistons tomorrow night, the Nets will tie them in the loss column.

One of the things I plan on doing over the All-Star break (along with analyzing Nets stats under Frank vs. under Scott) is to take a look at the winning % of future opponents for the Nets, Pistons, and Pacers.

And maybe the Knicks too. :eek:
If you didn't mind could you also see hown many back to backs these teams have. Because we have had too many 4 games in 5 nights stretches.

·
Banned
7,719 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Petey</b>!
It would really be something if Frank could get us back up there with the elite (elite I mean by record, not just first in the weak Atlantic). Not only is this exciting for me now, I wonder if he could speed up Kristic's transition to the NBA like he has helped Zoran do, more so then Scott.

-Petey
Good point about Krstic. We'll find out next year.

I know its early, but I'm starting to think that the Nets have a better shot in the Finals if they get there with Frank. I know he was here the last two years, but I somehow think that he'll make more of an effort to figure out a new approach if they run into the Lakers or Spurs again.

Originally posted by <b>DetBNyce</b>!
If you didn't mind could you also see hown many back to backs these teams have. Because we have had too many 4 games in 5 nights stretches.
Will do. I know the Nets had a lot of total back-to-backs (21 maybe?) when I looked at the schedule back in October, and since they're a few games behind most teams, they probably have more in the 2nd half than most.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Petey</b>!

. . . I wonder if [Frank] could speed up Kristic's transition to the NBA like he has helped Zoran do, more so then Scott.

-Petey
You know what? I hadn't thought of this before, but your point makes me wonder how much Scott's treatment of Planinic specifically contributed to Thorn's decision to fire him. The fact that first Overton and then Pack - neither of whom was even the best available free-agent PG - were dropped from the roster strongly indicates a preference by Thorn to develop the rookie. In addition to Scott's missteps with Planinic, his methods would have been easily contrasted with Frank's more-productive handling of Planinic over the summer.

Also to be considered. Thorn wouldn't want the Nets to gain a reputation via Scott of mistreating Euros, not in today's NBA, especially with Krstic - the Nets' highest-prized Euro prospect - not yet guaranteed to join the team. Thorn may be counting on a fully integrated and a well-adjusted Planinic to facilitate Krstic's rapid transition to the Nets next season, a plan that wouldn't work so well with a marginalized, unhappy Planinic and an unsympathetic coach.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.