Registered
10,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're cursed

Spurs notebook: Brown to miss up to two weeks with bad back
Web Posted: 03/24/2005 12:00 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

INDIANAPOLIS — Two days after announcing Tim Duncan could be sidelined until close to the playoffs, the Spurs learned they also will be without their top reserve for a while.

Devin Brown is expected to miss 10 days to two weeks because of inflammation around a nerve root in his lower back, coach Gregg Popovich said.

An MRI taken Wednesday morning revealed the problem. Brown is taking medication to reduce the swelling and will be re-evaluated in a few days to determine a more accurate timeframe for his return.

Brown, who said he has had similar trouble the previous two seasons, injured his back while warming up before Sunday's game in Detroit. The team sent him home Tuesday.

"It's kind of weird for a strong, young kid like that," Popovich said. "All of a sudden his back does that — it's kind of a surprise.

"It's really unfortunate for him and for us because he was starting to play real well."

Brown averaged 18.3 points and 5.7 rebounds in his last three games, two of which he played hurt.

Also back at the ranch: Duncan spent time in the pool and a hyperbaric chamber Wednesday while rehabbing his sprained right ankle, but he isn't walking on the foot, Popovich said.

"He's getting on it as little as possible," Popovich said. "The swelling has gone down a little bit from the beginning, but it's still pretty big."

Popovich initially thought Duncan had broken his foot. Veteran official Danny Crawford, who was working Sunday's game against Detroit, told Brent Barry it was the worst sprain he has seen.

"When you've had that injury, you know what you have to go through to get yourself back to health," said Barry, who missed eight games in the 1998-99 season with a sprained right ankle. "And it just isn't fun."

When your team is lacking energy and effort it's never good to lose one of the main players that provides those things. Devin has played fantastic ball lately and it sucks that he's going to miss a bunch of time as well. He could possibly end up on the DL as well.

I guess this secures a spot for Glover.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Speaking of Dion Glover, local news reporter Don Harris brought up a pretty fun thought:

That's Glover on the left and actor Omar Epps on the right. I definitely see the resemblance.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
This is another big blow to our team, but I'd rather the injury bug hit us before the playoffs rather than during. Brown was starting to play really well of late, so it is extra disappointing, but as long as he and TD are back for the playoffs, we should be in good shape. One positive of this and Timmy's injuries are that it gives our back-ups time to find confidence, play a bit more and learn to play as a team.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
The end of the season is not looking so good for the Spurs. As a Mavs fan this is good news but I hope Ginobili can keep you guys alive.

·
Charge!
3,922 Posts
Isn't that about the last thing that the Spurs need. Play darn good ball for most of the season, lose some key players to injuries late in the season and find your team potentially slipping in the playoff seeding.

For many teams, this would be potentially devastating. But for the experienced Spurs, they will likely just keep rolling on after they get Timmy and everybody else healthy for the playoffs. You just want to make sure that you do not fall too far in the seeding so you can hold onto the home court advantage as long as possible, especially considering the Spurs home record this season.

G-Force

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
speechless

·
Registered
721 Posts
ezealen said:
The makes four spurs who have a look alike that I've seen, five if you count my own (Marks/Willy Wonka)
:laugh:

Sorry about Brown though... at least Parker isn't out.

·
Registered
256 Posts
he hasnt missed a game since like '02....(im debating whether thats good or bad right now)

btw ezealen...u spelled my name wrong on the manu club roster :(

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
If it's true that he will be out for 2-4 weeks then he will miss the rest of the season up to the playoffs. :(

At least we might get to see Linton Johnson III sniff a little playing time and see what he is capable of.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts