Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I would be very happy if Dez is actually back, mostly because it would mean that certain horrible things which were rumored to occur did not happen and perhaps many of us here were too quick to jump to conclusions. Also, a strong Xavier team is good for the conference, and I think with Dez they have a decent chance for an invite to the dance. I am hoping for a record number of A10 teams dancing this year, and a very exciting conference season.

·
Registered
10 Posts
With or without dez, this young xavier team was not making the final 68. Few teams can compete at the top when most of your starters have moved on.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
One can hope, but it's hard to imagine he would come back after we publicly expelled him.
I agree that it is less likely given that they expelled him. Did Xavier provide a press release or official comment on the situation at any point though? If not then perhaps he was not expelled, but rather suspended from the university (which includes being kicked off campus) or expelled for the time being until the situation was fully investigated and/or something was proven otherwise.

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Is this going to turn into a Kwamain Mitchell scenario where he redshirts this year? It would probably be difficult for the process to play out in time for him to return this semester, which would mean he could return when classes begin in January. If that is an option and he takes it, by then it may just be better to redshirt instead of wasting a full year on half a season.

I would think it would be hard to return to a place that kicked you out, but the power of liking teammates and coaches could bring him back. It would be interesting, for sure.

Like sands through the hourglass...

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Dez has a lot of options out there. He will sit down with UCLA, UK., Memphis, UNC and never look back. I think the only way he comes back to X is if hes reinstated immediately.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Why post a Dez is gone thread prematurely, if this was not official?
Why post a Dez is back thread prematurely, as this is not official?

Let it play out first...

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Board of 24 decided his fate. Don't see them saying they screwed up, unless new shocking evidence to the contrary.

·
Banned
5,541 Posts

This looks as "official" as it gets:

Xavier University Announces The Expulsion Of Sophomore Dezmine Wells (Xavier University - August 21, 2012)

Wells Is No Longer An XU Student

CINCINNATI
- Statement from Xavier University:

"The Xavier University Conduct Board (UCB), made up of faculty, students and administrators, found Xavier sophomore and basketball player Dezmine Wells responsible for a serious violation of the Code of Student Conduct. The punishment for the violation is expulsion from the University."

"While we understand there is heightened interest in this situation because it involves a student-athlete, we must reiterate that first and foremost Xavier's interest and responsibility to all of our students is to provide a quality education in a safe and nurturing environment."

"A serious violation of Xavier's Code of Student Conduct will not be tolerated. All Xavier students are subject to the same protections and consequences."

"Because of Federal privacy law restrictions, no additional comments may be made in order to protect the privacy of those involved, and to honor the integrity of the UCB process."

Wells, a 6-5 guard/forward and member of the 2012 Atlantic 10 Conference All-Rookie Team, started 32 games as a freshman in the 2011-12 season. He finished fourth on the team in scoring (9.8 ppg.) and third in rebounding (4.9 rpg.).

·
Registered
5,781 Posts
Lot of administrators around Xavier with a puckered up backside today. The county prosecutor just came out and said you dump trucked a kid for no reason, and did it through a clown show process. On top of that, they are being investigated for possibly covering up other allegations.

The f*ck is going on down there? Is anyone in charge, or are they just winging everything they do?

·
Banned
3,990 Posts
What a disaster! The prosecutor says that he should be re-instated and there was no proof.

It is burning up the airwaves at 700 wlw. They are going to rebroadcast it in the next hour. Unbelievable.

700 WLW, The Big One

I would like to thank Obama's Department of Education and Justice Departments for the recent settlement with Xavier University. Thank God we no longer have to deal with the silly notion of innocent until proven guilty.

·
Banned
3,990 Posts
Deters said Xavier operated under a consent decree with the Department of Education and not the courts. Wells’ expulsion was determined by a university board.

OBAMA! OBAMA! OBAMA!

·
Banned
3,990 Posts
I think they will rebroadcast the interview with the Hamilton County Prosecutor at 2:07 this afternoon if anyone would like to listen, after that I am sure a podcast will be made available.

Thanks Obama!

·
Banned
3,990 Posts
Wonder if we'll see any apologies from those who flat out called Dez a rapist in the other thread.
As an Alum of Xavier University, I would like to publicly apologize to Dez Wells. He is in my prayers and I wish him the best. It is horrible what the liberals at Xavier and the Department of Education has done.

Another black man taken down by the system!

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
What a screwy sitaution. SOMETHING obviously happened, arrestable or not, and I'd sure like to think the Xavier board had SOME detail as to the nature of the incident before acting. If they did have solid information, and made a decision based on that, so be it....and I don't think any county prosecutors should be making statements like that. The University can throw someone out if they see fit, regardless if law enforcement proceeds with any charges.

If they threw him out WITHOUT much information, solely because they were scared from the prior incidents and subsequent agreement, that's spineless and unconscionable.

·
Banned
335 Posts
Why do people always just assume a criminal standard is what Universities use in cases like this?

They don't

The things are completely unrelated.

1 - 20 of 154 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.