Status
Not open for further replies.

Dez is Back

13K views 153 replies 42 participants last post by  Flyer75 
#1 ·
Maybe.

There is noise.

#5 ·
I agree that it is less likely given that they expelled him. Did Xavier provide a press release or official comment on the situation at any point though? If not then perhaps he was not expelled, but rather suspended from the university (which includes being kicked off campus) or expelled for the time being until the situation was fully investigated and/or something was proven otherwise.

#3 ·
I would be very happy if Dez is actually back, mostly because it would mean that certain horrible things which were rumored to occur did not happen and perhaps many of us here were too quick to jump to conclusions. Also, a strong Xavier team is good for the conference, and I think with Dez they have a decent chance for an invite to the dance. I am hoping for a record number of A10 teams dancing this year, and a very exciting conference season.

#7 ·
Is this going to turn into a Kwamain Mitchell scenario where he redshirts this year? It would probably be difficult for the process to play out in time for him to return this semester, which would mean he could return when classes begin in January. If that is an option and he takes it, by then it may just be better to redshirt instead of wasting a full year on half a season.

I would think it would be hard to return to a place that kicked you out, but the power of liking teammates and coaches could bring him back. It would be interesting, for sure.

Like sands through the hourglass...

#11 ·

This looks as "official" as it gets:

Xavier University Announces The Expulsion Of Sophomore Dezmine Wells (Xavier University - August 21, 2012)

Wells Is No Longer An XU Student

CINCINNATI
- Statement from Xavier University:

"The Xavier University Conduct Board (UCB), made up of faculty, students and administrators, found Xavier sophomore and basketball player Dezmine Wells responsible for a serious violation of the Code of Student Conduct. The punishment for the violation is expulsion from the University."

"While we understand there is heightened interest in this situation because it involves a student-athlete, we must reiterate that first and foremost Xavier's interest and responsibility to all of our students is to provide a quality education in a safe and nurturing environment."

"A serious violation of Xavier's Code of Student Conduct will not be tolerated. All Xavier students are subject to the same protections and consequences."

"Because of Federal privacy law restrictions, no additional comments may be made in order to protect the privacy of those involved, and to honor the integrity of the UCB process."

Wells, a 6-5 guard/forward and member of the 2012 Atlantic 10 Conference All-Rookie Team, started 32 games as a freshman in the 2011-12 season. He finished fourth on the team in scoring (9.8 ppg.) and third in rebounding (4.9 rpg.).

#13 ·
Lot of administrators around Xavier with a puckered up backside today. The county prosecutor just came out and said you dump trucked a kid for no reason, and did it through a clown show process. On top of that, they are being investigated for possibly covering up other allegations.

The f*ck is going on down there? Is anyone in charge, or are they just winging everything they do?

#14 ·
What a disaster! The prosecutor says that he should be re-instated and there was no proof.

It is burning up the airwaves at 700 wlw. They are going to rebroadcast it in the next hour. Unbelievable.

700 WLW, The Big One

I would like to thank Obama's Department of Education and Justice Departments for the recent settlement with Xavier University. Thank God we no longer have to deal with the silly notion of innocent until proven guilty.

#18 ·
As an Alum of Xavier University, I would like to publicly apologize to Dez Wells. He is in my prayers and I wish him the best. It is horrible what the liberals at Xavier and the Department of Education has done.

Another black man taken down by the system!

#19 ·
What a screwy sitaution. SOMETHING obviously happened, arrestable or not, and I'd sure like to think the Xavier board had SOME detail as to the nature of the incident before acting. If they did have solid information, and made a decision based on that, so be it....and I don't think any county prosecutors should be making statements like that. The University can throw someone out if they see fit, regardless if law enforcement proceeds with any charges.

If they threw him out WITHOUT much information, solely because they were scared from the prior incidents and subsequent agreement, that's spineless and unconscionable.

#21 · (Edited)
That's a good point. But if they are expelling someone for getting drunk and having sex on school property, well, kick over half the school out.

I don't think there is any doubt Dez Wells was expelled because of other, unrelated allegations going around the school. He was made an example of how serious Xavier takes things now. If you're going to do that, you better be right. It looks like they weren't.

I think it's pretty easy to see that Dez Wells was railroaded by a system that right now cares less about the truth and more about saving face. This exact scenario played out a few years ago with another Xavier player. He went through the process and was ultimately allowed to stay. But now, Wells is gone. What happened between those two cases? Some "regular" students exposed some mishandling of allegations by Xavier admins.

There is your answer.

#33 ·
Xavier has only itself to blame.

It can't seem to figure out how to handle charges of sexual misconduct.
The feds gave Xavier University some assistance in that area:

OK, time for the real deal without the sugar-coating:

Xavier had developed a reputation with the feds in terms of their dealings with alleged rape cases on their campus. They showed themselves to be more concerned about Xavier's image than the rights of the alleged victim. See this link:

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20120731/NEWS/307310041/Feds-crack-down-Xavier-after-sex-assault-claims

Imagine that a board made up of professors and students from Xavier review the actions of a basketball player who was investigated for a "sexual incident" recently and suggest his expulsion from the university. Do you think the basketball interests within the university will have the clout to step in and manipulate the ruling with the feds looking over their shoulders? It might have happened back in the days of CJ Anderson, before the world was catching on to how things are run by the X basketball mafia and the feds were involved, but not now. If they did it under current circumstances, it could go nuclear as a scandal.

Sidenote: X even prevented students from protesting the CJ Anderson situation at Cintas Center back in the day. They said that it could "endanger students".
Xavier really had no other option than to kick Wells out of school in this case. See my post above.

Not many people know they are in trouble with the feds.

These are some conditions of the agreement that X had to sign with the feds:

Xavier must:

• Create new procedures for students and employees to file sex discrimination, assault and harassment complaints.

• Designate and train a Title IX coordinator.

• Include students on its Title IX task force.

• Conduct “climate checks” on campus to see if the procedures are working.

• Review sexual assault complaints during the last two years to ensure discrimination is not ongoing.

• Pay for counseling services from April 2011 to the present and for one year for one complainant who still is a student. If the male student in that case returns to Xavier, it must “take appropriate measures to protect Student A in the educational setting.”

Background of federal investigation:

• Complaints were filed with the Education Department’s Office of Civil Rights in July 2011, November 2011 and January 2012.

• Two of the three complainants have graduated from Xavier.

• A male student was found responsible in 2009 for sexual assault in a campus disciplinary hearing but allowed to remain on campus to complete that semester.

• After a one-semester suspension, he was involved in another incident and again found responsible by a disciplinary board. Xavier again allowed him to complete the semester before his expulsion.

• The third complainant still is a student at Xavier.

• She complained in 2009-10 about sexual harassment and stalking, resulting in a no-contact order.

• XU contended that the case was not a sexual harassment case because there was no sexual contact, and lifted the order, according to the OCR report. It also did not report the case to the OCR.

#27 ·
If there was no evidence, why did the prosecutor present a case to the grand jury? There is nothing to compel the prosecutor to bring a baseless case to a grand jury.

Aside from that, I find it bizarre for a prosecutor to PUBLICLY give his opinion on the matter and campaign for Wells' reinstatement. If he knows the X officials, why not simply call them? Sounds like the prosecutor is a big X basketball fan and wants to pressure X into giving Wells an opportunity to return to the team. There are some ethical concerns here.

#29 ·
Aside from that, I find it bizarre for a prosecutor to PUBLICLY give his opinion on the matter and campaign for Wells' reinstatement. If he knows the X officials, why not simply call them? Sounds like the prosecutor is a big X basketball fan and wants to pressure X into giving Wells an opportunity to return to the team. There are some ethical concerns here.
As much loitering as you do on the Xavier boards and anywhere Xavier is mentioned, you should know that Deters is a UC graduate and big supporter of their program. Ethical concerns stem only from Wells getting railroaded out of the University. BTW, he said that he did call X officials and give them his "opinion" of what X should do.

#31 ·
Xavier's really got their heels dug in. That's fine, but it's a dangerous precedent to set.

#35 ·
Wells is the victim in this situation, and Xavier is in a lot of trouble. In trying to better their image they've made it worse.

1. Dez is clearly innocent and they handled the situation terribly. They felt the need to make an example out of an athlete when they could have done it to anyone else. And like someone said before, if you're using a person as an example then they better actually be guilty. This really hurts Xavier's reputation.

2. In trying to make a statement, they happened to do this to a black athlete, which only makes the situation worse.

3. Basketball is the face of Xavier. If you want a stronger image and rep then you need to sustain a good basketball team. Why take out your star player to simply prove a point when there are many other students who have done the same thing? Even if he is reinstated I'm afraid it's too late as Wells will definitely go to another school due to trust issues with Xavier. And now the team suffers too.

Xavier blew it, and now their national reputation will plummet in many areas.

#39 ·
Wells is the victim in this situation, and Xavier is in a lot of trouble. In trying to better their image they've made it worse.

1. Dez is clearly innocent and they handled the situation terribly. They felt the need to make an example out of an athlete when they could have done it to anyone else. And like someone said before, if you're using a person as an example then they better actually be guilty. This really hurts Xavier's reputation.

2. In trying to make a statement, they happened to do this to a black athlete, which only makes the situation worse.

Xavier blew it, and now their national reputation will plummet in many areas.
I agree with your point 3 for the most part. I disagree with 1 and 2. Dez may be innocent of any crime, and I have to think that he is innocent of any crime, but it still doesn't mean he isn't guilty of a violation of a student misconduct, which is all the school stated anyway. I don't recall the school ever saying he was guilty or committed a crime.

Point 2: because Wells is a black athlete is actually helping his case right now. Look, in my line of work, I've seen a lot of joe schmoe students kicked out of UD for the littlest things that would be absolutely nothing to any of us as adults but it happens, more then you think. You just don't ever hear about it BECAUSE they aren't basetball players. Now, there are certainly holes in these standards at private schools and not every kid gets caught and not every kid gets kicked out, but some do and we don't ever hear about it and no prosecutor gets on a radio station and talks about it. They go home with mommy and daddy and start over a new at Sinclair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.