Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
My take on the article is that it was written because dude had an article to write and no worthwhile subject. I think most of the points he raises are red herrings.

Importantly, I don't see the Wiz "structuring their team" dependent on whether MJ comes back. They seem pretty set in acquiring young players that will help in the long term.

The biggest "structure" change that will occur because of MJ is that one or two of the younger players are going to spend more time on the bench this year . So, perhaps Dixon and Jeffries play less this year than they would have if MJ doesn't play. I just can't imagine how that will set back the team's long term development.

The one part of the article I agree with is that MJ shouldn't be trying to play 35 mpg, and he shouldn't be trying to get them at SF. Were I doling out advice, I'd start him and play him maybe token minutes at SF in the beginning of the game, then minutes at SG when Rip is out, and finally time at PG (or SF, depending on matchups) at the end of the game. He'd be getting about 24 mpg total, with most coming from the guard positions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The Washington Times is a local rag and nothing more. If they stopped trying to make articles that sole responsibility is to make them the most sensationalistic and most controversial pieces possible, they might just become a reputable source and just maybe rival their competition in the Post.

Jordan has said all along. last year and this year, go ahead and make moves a peperations assuming he's not playing. There is absolutely nothing the Wizards would have done differently this offseason based on MJ's decision next year. If the Wizards management would have been held hostage by MJ's decision, I don't see us making the move for Larry Hughes.

Of course, playing the waiting game for Jordan is not sensationalistic enough for the Times. The whole story has to be turned into a life and death situation, where the entire future of the franchise is held in the balance of MJ's decisions. Give me a break!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I also got the impression that the writer was just trying to create some buzz. I'm sure Collins has a pretty good idea of what MJ will do. It's not like the Wizards are saying if MJ stays will go ahead and pull the trade for Gary Payton and Dikembe Mutombo so we can contend and if he retires we'll start rebuilding right now. I think his comeback was two things...one, a challenge for MJ and two, a way to make the Wizards a marketable franchise. He sold a lot of jerseys and got the Wizards back on TV. What other player could have or would have done that for that franchise?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts