Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dan Dickau was drafted to replace Jaque Vaughn as the backup. He won't get more than 22 minutes. Yet, chad Ford calls him Atlanta's true franchise point.

umm, according to Peter Babcock they already have a point named Jason Terry.

Just because Terry plays SG every once in a while he gets the label "Not A True Point" He is a damn good point guard.

Dicky was drafted last in the first round yet Atlanta needs to find people to tutor him and start building around him.

I hate Chad Ford.

Please refrain from using phraises you used here to describe a writer. truebluefan

·
Registered
471 Posts
i agree Jason Terry is a good point guard, but i like him shooting... i read in Slam Magazine one time that he has this insane shooting regiment... like he cant leave the gym until he makes a certain amount of baskets (im sure someone on this message board knows the number)

dickau looked solid in summer league (yeah i know that means nothing) so i say, the guy works so hard, let the guy shoot...

J, T, Money!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Everybody says JT shot too much.,but when your
teammates are:Hanno Mottola/Mark Strickland/
Leon Smith/Matt Maloney/Jim Jackson(played poor
the second year with us)/Cal Bowdler/Emanual
Davis/Dickey Simpkins.

The only other scorer we had this year was Shareef...
Nazr wasn't consisant and Kukoc was injuried and
inconsisant.

The year before that Wright was probably our second
best scorer.

I expect him to drop to around 16PPG and average
7.5APG.That's fine with me.If he can put up Sam
Cassell numbers I am fine.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Malakian</ Dan Dickau was drafted to replace Jaque Vaughn as the backup. He won't get more than 22 minutes. Yet, chad Ford calls him Atlanta's true franchise point.

umm, according to Peter Babcock they already have a point named Jason Terry.

Just because Terry plays SG every once in a while he gets the label "Not A True Point" He is a damn good point guard.

Dicky was drafted last in the first round yet Atlanta needs to find people to tutor him and start building around him.
I hate Chad Ford.
because he has an opinion. Maybe the man is right. Dikau an play, simple as that. Paul Peirce took Boston the playoffs. Carter took the raptors to the playoffs. Allen Iverson took the no talent 6ers to the finals. Where has Jason Terry taken the Hawks, nowhere. I'm not Jason Terry hater I'm just a Dan Dikau fan.

i edited his post and therefore had to edit your reply. You were right to question him on the choice of words he used. truebluefan

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Dan Dickau will never be a starter in this league. Doesn't have a killer crossover to get by people, and doesn't have the speed like most PGs. Can't rebound, and isn't a great defender.

To me, that isn't the description of a franchise PG! Dickau is a mediocre backup at best, IMVHO.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Originally posted by <b>GeorgiaSports</b>!
Dan Dickau will never be a starter in this league. Doesn't have a killer crossover to get by people, and doesn't have the speed like most PGs. Can't rebound, and isn't a great defender.

To me, that isn't the description of a franchise PG! Dickau is a mediocre backup at best, IMVHO.
Since when a starting PG must have a 'killer crossover'? Look at John Stockton, he was every bit of the type of player you said above in his rookie season. Suprisingly John is still playing for will play his 19th season AS A STARTER!

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
John is a GREAT defender and a GREAT passer. Two things Dickau isn't. Stockton also played most of his career with the best PF of all time.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Originally posted by <b>GeorgiaSports</b>!
John is a GREAT defender and a GREAT passer. Two things Dickau isn't. Stockton also played most of his career with the best PF of all time.
Check out John's rookie season stats, he wasn't that GREAT right? Obviously you can learn things like defense and passing when you actually start playing in NBA. According to scouts Dan Dickau is a better athlete then Stockton was although they aren't really similar.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You know what? there is no comparison between Stockton and Dicky. Stockton has the most assists of all time and is the third best PG of all time, while Dicky is a backup jumpshooter.

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
Jason Terry is a terrible point guard and a pretty good sg. Jason Terry is looking to get stats and doesn't pass to anyone. Why do you think Atlanta got Dickau because they probably want to move Terry, no big loss there he's a streak shooter who doesn't run a team very well. Dickau is more of a Mark Price type of player with solid passing skills and natural point guard instincts ,He'll be a fine point, much better than Terry. Dickau runs the pick and roll very well either looking inside or pulling up I'd compare him to Price. Hawks will be better off with Dickau at point than Terry. Dickau will eventually start, teams don't trade for 1st round picks at the pg position if they're happy with what they have already.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Uh no. They got Dickau because he's a cheaper backup than Vaughn. Lots of great PGs look to shoot, but you don't see people calling them SGs.

Edit: What makes you think JT is a bad PG? He did everything a point guard is supposed to do. Distribute, score, win. The Hawks were over .500 with JT at PG (granted, that wasn't many games).

·
Registered
9,447 Posts
They didn't trade for a 1st rd pick because he was cheaper hell they could sign or trade for any cheap back-up pg , Terry is being shopped and Georgia you probably watch most of their games but come on Terry had a bad year last year I'm not blaming him for all the teams woes but he's more like an Iverson, a short 2 guard , he wants to score all the time when he should be distributing the ball he's not a natural point guard and everyone identifies that as the weakness of the team, thats why that other guy was the starter early at pg before he got hurt I forgot whats his name. Starts with an e.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Jazzy maybe you should watch him play before
opening your mouth.He averaged 20.2PPG 7APG
the second half of last year.Is that bad to you?
20/7 is bad?Get real.Do I have to bring up his
second half stats for ESPN again to show them
to you..,Does SG's get 10 assist in 4 out of 5
games?Does that happen?Show me ONE SG
that did that IN any 5 games this year.Show
me ONE SG that did that.I bet you would be
unable to find one.Go look....I dare you.

And stop comparing Dickau to Stockton.The law of
averages goes againest Dan.ONE player doesn't
pull it in Dan's favorite.Since John there has been
Bobby Hurley/Jacque Vaughn/Rumeal Robinson and
more PG busts that you can count.Sorry,IT ain't
happening, so people might aswell get over it right
now before they become dissapointed.Stockton
came out of college TWO decades ago.TWO decades
AGO.People are trying to find the next Stockton
like they tried for years to find the next Larry
Bird.It's not gunna happen.Get over it.

"everyone identifies that as the weakness of the team,"

Yeah,the people that don't watch the games.Maybe you
should realize Hanno Mottola/Mark Strickland and what
about injuries.Go read Chad Ford some more...Afterall,
he's a scout and a GM so he knows everything....WHATEVER
you will find out this year and you bet your rear I will
comeback and shove it down your throat.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/gamelog?statsId=3333

12 times in April he hit 8 assist or more.That isn't passing the
ball?What do you make of that?

Face it,you are WRONG.

Originally posted by <b>jazzy1</b>!
They didn't trade for a 1st rd pick because he was cheaper hell they could sign or trade for any cheap back-up pg , Terry is being shopped and Georgia you probably watch most of their games but come on Terry had a bad year last year I'm not blaming him for all the teams woes but he's more like an Iverson, a short 2 guard , he wants to score all the time when he should be distributing the ball he's not a natural point guard and everyone identifies that as the weakness of the team, thats why that other guy was the starter early at pg before he got hurt I forgot whats his name. Starts with an e.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
See the thing is, Atlanta is never on national TV, but I have League Pass and Atlanta is one of my favorite teams. I watched like 70 of their games. Terry is a point guard.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Vaughn left cause his PT sliped.He averaged around
19MPG in the second half.That's not alot for a backup
PG....And there is a reason he went from 24MPG to
19MPG....It's because Terry ran this team and led us
to a winning record.

It's funny how people talk about some little dude that
hasn't even made a NBA basket and was basically a
2nd round pick.

·
Premium Member
70,380 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Malakian</b>!
See the thing is, Atlanta is never on national TV, but I have League Pass and Atlanta is one of my favorite teams. I watched like 70 of their games. Terry is a point guard.
That's the thing, the last time the Hawks were on national TV was early last year when JT was still playing SG against Iverson (bad coach move).

I remember that too, Iverson was coming off a wrist injury and Kruger said he told JT to play loose on AI because he wouldn't be as effective. Yeah, whatever Lon. AI lit it up.

·
Registered
427 Posts
He can play both.Doesn't anyone see where our team is
headed?Do you see the model off the team?

Terry-------------------Bibby
Johnson----------------Christie(both better defenders than scorers)
Big Dog------------------Peja(scorers with no defense)
SAR------------------------Webber(best all round players on team)
Theo----------------------Vlade(11/9 centers)

Obviousally we are not as good.But do you see the
model of the team?Then when the subs come in we
have:

Dickau--------------------Bibby
Terry----------------------Jackson
Big Dog-------------------Peja
SAR------------------------Webber
Theo-----------------------Vlade

Do you see what we are trying to do?Lon loves to go with the
small backcourt sometimes.

Obviousally we aren't close in talent level.But surely you can
see what is going on.That is why Dickau was drafted.

Originally posted by <b>Malakian</b>!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts