Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Few seconds ago, end of the Sixers/Lakers game. Sixers are up 4, Lakers have no timeouts left and there are 4 seconds left. The last words by Snapper "If you're the sixers, you're up by 4...you foul!"

...da fug? Don't you think it would be a better strategy to do anything EXCEPT foul? Did anyone else hear that? Good lord.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,581 Posts
Burn said:
Few seconds ago, end of the Sixers/Lakers game. Sixers are up 4, Lakers have no timeouts left and there are 4 seconds left. The last words by Snapper "If you're the sixers, you're up by 4...you foul!"

...da fug? Don't you think it would be a better strategy to do anything EXCEPT foul? Did anyone else hear that? Good lord.
:stupid:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,104 Posts
Well, the reason behind it would be this. You foul and they go to the line twice. They have to make both. They foul you, you go to the line. They have no timeouts to advance the ball, so they've got to go the length in two seconds or so. But if you're up by three (assuming you make 1 of 2 free throws), you can foul again. You should win by 1 if you make 1 of your 2 free throws and they make all 4. There's a big line of theory among announcers that says if you are up three you foul so that the other team doesn't get a chance to tie with a three. I think it all depends on who gets the ball, and how good the three point shooters on the floor are. I would not usually foul in that situation though, unless maybe you have a great FT shooting team and don't have trouble getting it to the right guys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,137 Posts
ShuHanGuanYu said:
Well, the reason behind it would be this. You foul and they go to the line twice. They have to make both. They foul you, you go to the line. They have no timeouts to advance the ball, so they've got to go the length in two seconds or so. But if you're up by three (assuming you make 1 of 2 free throws), you can foul again. You should win by 1 if you make 1 of your 2 free throws and they make all 4. There's a big line of theory among announcers that says if you are up three you foul so that the other team doesn't get a chance to tie with a three. I think it all depends on who gets the ball, and how good the three point shooters on the floor are. I would not usually foul in that situation though, unless maybe you have a great FT shooting team and don't have trouble getting it to the right guys.
what he said
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
You are 100% correct Burn. I was laughing so hard after he said that. Snapper seems to be getting senile. If you're up by 4 with 3 seconds left and no timeouts for the opponent, you might as well just walk off the court and let them shoot from wherever they want. Even if they make the shot, there will be no time left for anything else to happen anyways. Fouling is the LAST thing on Earth you want to do in that situation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,581 Posts
TonyMontana_83 said:
You are 100% correct Burn. I was laughing so hard after he said that. Snapper seems to be getting senile. If you're up by 4 with 3 seconds left and no timeouts for the opponent, you might as well just walk off the court and let them shoot from wherever they want. Even if they make the shot, there will be no time left for anything else to happen anyways. Fouling is the LAST thing on Earth you want to do in that situation.
:clap:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But they're up 4. Lakers go the length of the court and make a 3...time runs out and you still win. If you foul, you stop the clock. If you foul while they're shooting a 3, you stop the clock and give them 3 free throws. If you foul while they're shooting a 3, and they make it, you've just made the worst defensive move in the history of defensive moves.

Sorry but in that situation fouling is the stupidest thing you could do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
ShuHanGuanYu said:
Well, the reason behind it would be this. You foul and they go to the line twice. They have to make both. They foul you, you go to the line. They have no timeouts to advance the ball, so they've got to go the length in two seconds or so. But if you're up by three (assuming you make 1 of 2 free throws), you can foul again. You should win by 1 if you make 1 of your 2 free throws and they make all 4. There's a big line of theory among announcers that says if you are up three you foul so that the other team doesn't get a chance to tie with a three. I think it all depends on who gets the ball, and how good the three point shooters on the floor are. I would not usually foul in that situation though, unless maybe you have a great FT shooting team and don't have trouble getting it to the right guys.
That makes things so needlessly complicated it's not even funny. Plus, there's the risk of fouling on a 3pt shot.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,660 Posts
snapper's face looks like a big poop with eyes and a mouth shoved into it.
 

·
We Just Wanna Chill
Joined
·
12,088 Posts
sometimes announcers dont have any idea what theyre saying.

Best announcer by far: Marv Albert "yeesss!"
Worst announcer by far: Bill Walton. "throw it down big man! throw it down!" i feel like killing myself when i hear that lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
with only 4 seconds remaining, and the way Philly's defense was playing, I didn't agree with the call to foul and in the end it wasn't neccessary. But then again, this is the NBA and wierder things have happened. I still can't get over the fact that AI didn't foul TJ Ford in the opening game of the season to prevent him from making that pass to Redd who hit the tying 3pt shot to send the game to OT :curse:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,660 Posts
rofl I love Bill Walton.

"Basketball is 100% physical and 100% mental."

Response: "You can't have 200%."

Bill's Response: "No, no, no... you're confusing apples and oranges."
 

·
Your Humble Homer
Joined
·
11,083 Posts
7M3 said:
rofl I love Bill Walton.

"Basketball is 100% physical and 100% mental."

Response: "You can't have 200%."

Bill's Response: "No, no, no... you're confusing apples and oranges."
Lol, on the second day of the season. It was Lakers vs Denver and Camby got Kobe to charge him and then Bill followed that nice defensive play with "Thats one of the best defensive plays of the year!"


May I remind you, it was the second day of basketball.......
 

·
We Just Wanna Chill
Joined
·
12,088 Posts
7M3 said:
rofl I love Bill Walton.

"Basketball is 100% physical and 100% mental."

Response: "You can't have 200%."

Bill's Response: "No, no, no... you're confusing apples and oranges."
lol, aside from being a bad announcer, he does make funny comments.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
Yea, in tonight's game he said "Speaking of Clyde Drexler there are some Blazer legends in the stands tonight; Terry Porter, Chris Dudley" he stopped at Dudley.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,104 Posts
TonyMontana_83 said:
That makes things so needlessly complicated it's not even funny. Plus, there's the risk of fouling on a 3pt shot.
Needlessly complicated you say? Geez, I can barely get through my own post when I try and read it. Imagine trying to coach it...hehe. Really, I still think "play defense" is the best way to win in the end. If they tie, win in overtime. Stopping the clock can backfire just as easily as trying to defend the shot.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top