Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
now i will be the first to say that lebron had an awesome rookie year, and he looks as though a great career lies ahead.
but after all the hype coming into the league, all the "next MJ" status put onto him, all the 'greatest of all time' labels, did his rookie year live up to expectations, and has his olympics performace affected your oppinion?

·
Registered
15,963 Posts
It went far beyond expectations. I predicted he'd do something along the lines of 10/4/4 his rookie year, while very often looking like the HS kid that he is. He came in and did no such thing, being a legit all-star contender from the get-go.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i actually thought he was going to average around 20 a game, but the 6 and 6 was the thing that really stands out to me about his rookie year, his numbers are absolutely incredible

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
Hmmm... I found LBJ´s rookie season somewhat underachieving...

Don´t get me wrong: i think he is already an exciting player and has all the potential to become one of the Top-5 players in a couple of years...

But his hype (wich wasn´t really his doing) was so great that i sincerely expected more.

Disregarding the fact that he was, what, 18? last season and coming straight from high school, i assumed he would do better.

In fact, averaging 39.5mpg in the season and getting all the touches in offense (mainly after the Davis trade), he didn´t do much more than Carmelo (only one year older). On the other hand, his .417FG% is simply horrible.

"But he is just a kid", you´d say, and rightfully so.
But this kid was MADE to be the Next Michael Jordan; the "Choosen1", the 100mill shoe deal, etc., etc...

So, taken that into account, i say he dind´t live up to the hype in his rookie season .
But only because the hype was sooooo out of hand...

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
well only two rookies ever put up numbers like that, the Big O and MJ. And neither did it straight from High School. So I'd say he surpassed the hype.

I knew he'd be really good. But I didn't honestly expect the 21/6/6.

And the Cavs looked like they were actually going to go to the playoffs this year, at one point even challenging for home court. Which was very suprising.

I will say in the olympics he has yet to meet my expectations. But that's mainly because LB doesn't put him on the floor enough. When he is out there in the brief time, he's looked like one of the best players on the team already. Him, Wade, Iverson, and Duncan have been consistently the top 4 players.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Originally posted by <b>PauloCatarino</b>!

Disregarding the fact that he was, what, 18? last season and coming straight from high school, i assumed he would do better.
How can you disregard that? He's still a kid who is 19 years from his physical prime, was known to lack a good jumper, and still put up 21/6/6.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
The only disappointment that I had regarding LeBron was the fact that he didn't really generate as many free throws as you'd think from a player with his athletic ability. Otherwise he seriously exceeded every goal that I had for him.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Originally posted by <b>prlindo</b>!
Stats are for geeks, He didn't get his team or lead to playoffs like Carmelo did
Let's see...

Jeff McInnis, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Darius Miles, Tony Battie, Eric Williams, Carlos Boozer, and LeBron. Z, Miles, Battie, and Williams are all such underacheivers its funny. McInnis was good, but not there long enough. And Boozer was the consummate overacheiver, who looked great playing next to a guy like LeBron to take all the focus off him.

Marcus Camby, Nene, Vashon Lenard, Andre Miller, Jon Barry, Earl Boykins, and Carmelo. You've got shooters, dirty workers, a true PG, two defensively good big men, a low-post threat. Miller didn't play his best, but he was still servicable. Barry and Lenard can shoot, Nene, Barry, and Boykins do dirty work, Nene and Camby are post defenders, and Camby is a low-post threat.

Who do you think had the better cast?

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
Stats are for geeks, He didn't get his team or lead to playoffs like Carmelo did
Let's not take this thread in that direction. This thread is about the individual performance of LeBron James, not his team and not Carmelo Anthony.

·
What Do You Know??? Shaqtus
20,601 Posts
Well that depends, the average basketball no nothing was saying LeBron was gonna be like Michael Jordan in his first year... But an actual basketball FAN and a knowledgeable one, never set the bar that high and LeBron far surpassed any real NBA fans expectations. Including myself...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Carmelo played in the west if Carmelo was on the east he would of took his team futher Come on MAKING the playoffs in the western conference in your first year from a medicore team?

Boozer and Big Z are very good players Come on you're telling me Lebron can't finish ahead of the Celtics?

·
Player
7,852 Posts
hype = playoffs.

I don't think he matched the hype personally, he was made out to be a bigger stronger Magic, but he couldn't even get his team into the playoffs in the weak East. People will say "ah look at his weak cast". Fact is he had one of the few true centers in the league and couldn't get anywhere. We'll see what happens this year, because he looks to be improving with Brown's tutelage.

And for that 20/5/5 thing, it doesn't mean much really its just a cheap way for the media to connect him with Jordan and Robertson. I could just as easily say, only two rookies in history averaged over 27/5/5 out the gate, simple manipulation of statistics. Educate yourself.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I would have to say that LeBron more than lived up to the hype.

Great all around player. Should have been chosen to the all star game as a rookie out of HS. Amazing!

Where does he stand as an all time rookie?

Nobody I have seen has had the kind of rookie season that Magic had, during which he played center for the Lakers in the final game of the Championship and they won.

Jordan had a great rookie season with over 28 points per game and he led his team to the playoffs where they were swept.

The Big O had an amazing rookie year.

As far as Rookies who helped transform their teams into instant winners:

Bird
David Robinson
Tim Duncan
Russell

None of these players came right out of high school.

LeBron did not have the greatest rookie year of all time but he did have by far the best rookie year for a player right out of school and he ranks in the top 10 for rookies that I have seen play.

Yes, he lived up to the hype

·
What Do You Know??? Shaqtus
20,601 Posts
Carmelo played in the west if Carmelo was on the east he would of took his team futher Come on MAKING the playoffs in the western conference in your first year from a medicore team?

Boozer and Big Z are very good players Come on you're telling me Lebron can't finish ahead of the Celtics?
Since when is

PG-Andre Miller
SG - Vashon Leonard
SF - Carmelo
PF - NeNe
C - Marcus Camby

Bench -
Jon Barry
Earl Boykins
Chris Anderson
Rodney White

A mediocre team?

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Originally posted by <b>SacKings384</b>!

Since when is

PG-Andre Miller
SG - Vashon Leonard
SF - Carmelo
PF - NeNe
C - Marcus Camby

Bench -
Jon Barry
Earl Boykins
Chris Anderson
Rodney White

A mediocre team?
Well, they won about half their games, so by just about any definition of the word "mediocre," they were a mediocre team. But that doesn't have anything to do with LeBron James.

I would say that his stats were much better than what I expected, but his impact on the Cavs' success was a little bit below what I expected. If I had known before the season started that Carlos Boozer would have as good of a year as he did, I would have assumed that Cleveland was a playoff team. But they weren't, because they couldn't play defense or hit an outside jump shot. LeBron was as much to blame for those things as anyone, and I thought he'd be a better shooter and defender than he was.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Lebron should of went to NCAA and won somethign like Carmelo instead of buying tickets to playoff games stop offering these kids so much money and sneaker contracts ! Let them enjoy atleast a year at college its best for them

1 - 20 of 135 Posts