Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
21 - 40 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Originally posted by <b>prlindo</b>!
Lebron should of went to NCAA and won somethign like Carmelo instead of buying tickets to playoff games stop offering these kids so much money and sneaker contracts ! Let them enjoy atleast a year at college its best for them
So let me get this straight...

Say you're in high school.

You really like...let's say business and accounting. Over your four years of high school you take all of the accounting classes you can, get really good at it, attend seminars and things on your summer breaks so you can get even better at it.

Then, during your senior year you realize that hey, you're really good at this stuff, and you can go to any college you want for free. They'd love to have you, you have all of these awards, and reccomendations, and everything.

But then some guy, approaches you before you graduate. Says his name is Robert Willumstad, President of Citigroup, the world's top company right now in your field. Says he likes your potential, sees big things from you. You know enough to get by to start, and he says he'll teach you the rest as you go along, and you'll earn millions in bonuses and stock options over the years.

You tell him you're gonna turn down that job and not make the millions now to go to college for a year?

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Re: hype = playoffs.

Originally posted by <b>sherako</b>!
I don't think he matched the hype personally, he was made out to be a bigger stronger Magic, but he couldn't even get his team into the playoffs in the weak East. People will say "ah look at his weak cast". Fact is he had one of the few true centers in the league and couldn't get anywhere. We'll see what happens this year, because he looks to be improving with Brown's tutelage.

And for that 20/5/5 thing, it doesn't mean much really its just a cheap way for the media to connect him with Jordan and Robertson. I could just as easily say, only two rookies in history averaged over 27/5/5 out the gate, simple manipulation of statistics. Educate yourself.
The team was horribly flawed with no defensive stopers , no consistant shooters , and a good shotblocker(not even factoring in the 1600 trades they did which caused no chemistry). Basketball is a team game and you need a good supporting cast.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I remember before last season's fantasy basketball drafts I thought to myself: "A rookie from high school? No more than 13-14 ppg 5rb 3ast with horrible percentages and loads of turnovers". So statistically speaking, he definitely lived up to my expectations.

I would call his impact on Cavs team winning-wise quite visible too, because the season before cavs won 17 games.

His Olympic performance was allright too - he is a good energy spark from the bench. As most of his Olympic teammates he can't shoot though, and this aspect of his game needs serious development. His defensive ability will come with experience.

It seems he keeps winning as nr 1 goal and satisfaction, and that makes me feel optimistic about his future.

·
Registered
402 Posts
re

Another question, had Lebron entered Ohio State for college would he of won as many NCAA titles as years he has been in college? If he had been in college 4 years could he of had 4 championships???

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
LeBron James had a much better year than I expected, and I was one of his big supporters.

He also led the Cavaliers to many more wins than they had the season before.

I would say James exceeded his hype by a fair amount.

·
Player
7,852 Posts
doesnt work like that child

Originally posted by <b>SamTheMan67</b>!
And sherako would mother carmelos baby
hmmm.......
:no: :sigh: :uhoh:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Matt85163</b>!

So let me get this straight...

Say you're in high school.

You really like...let's say business and accounting. Over your four years of high school you take all of the accounting classes you can, get really good at it, attend seminars and things on your summer breaks so you can get even better at it.

Then, during your senior year you realize that hey, you're really good at this stuff, and you can go to any college you want for free. They'd love to have you, you have all of these awards, and reccomendations, and everything.

But then some guy, approaches you before you graduate. Says his name is Robert Willumstad, President of Citigroup, the world's top company right now in your field. Says he likes your potential, sees big things from you. You know enough to get by to start, and he says he'll teach you the rest as you go along, and you'll earn millions in bonuses and stock options over the years.

You tell him you're gonna turn down that job and not make the millions now to go to college for a year?

No will turn that down, Im saying guys need to stop offering big contracts before they play games Let Lebron enjoy a year or 2 at college dominant there and go to the NBA I think it benefits him more

·
Player
7,852 Posts
Re: Re: doesnt work like that child

Originally posted by <b>SamTheMan67</b>!

Im just joshin ya sherako.... but i know you would haha
:no: :sigh: :uhoh:

·
Registered
8,825 Posts
It's funny how it's pretty much impossible to mention LeBron's name without someone bringing up Carmelo.

And vice versa.

Those two are siamese twins for the rest of their careers.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Originally posted by <b>PauloCatarino</b>!
Hmmm... I found LBJ´s rookie season somewhat underachieving...

Don´t get me wrong: i think he is already an exciting player and has all the potential to become one of the Top-5 players in a couple of years...

But his hype (wich wasn´t really his doing) was so great that i sincerely expected more.

Disregarding the fact that he was, what, 18? last season and coming straight from high school, i assumed he would do better.

In fact, averaging 39.5mpg in the season and getting all the touches in offense (mainly after the Davis trade), he didn´t do much more than Carmelo (only one year older). On the other hand, his .417FG% is simply horrible.

"But he is just a kid", you´d say, and rightfully so.
But this kid was MADE to be the Next Michael Jordan; the "Choosen1", the 100mill shoe deal, etc., etc...

So, taken that into account, i say he dind´t live up to the hype in his rookie season .
But only because the hype was sooooo out of hand...
If you honestly thought Lebron was going to do better than 21/6/6 in rookie season, you need to find a new sport to follow. James exceed even the most unrealistic expectations anybody possibly could have had for an 18 year old rookie, and actually played better than his stats show.

Now if you're just ripping the kid because he shot 42% and you miss your showtime days in the 1980's when everybody shot 50% because nobody played defense....

well, then I'd also find a new sport to follow...

·
Registered
9,527 Posts
i think he exceeded expectations by alot in some ways, and didn't in some other ways.

his production certainly exceeded expectations.

the uniqueness of his game may not have exceeded expectations.

he showed much more of a jordan game than a magic game. the magic part was supposed to be what separates him from the other 2's we've seen before him.

he still seems to show a feel for the game (well, at least the no-look pass) that exceeds his counterparts. how much he hones this feel for the game will determine, imo, how he separates himself from his peers.

he has enough raw basketball talent to shine without that, but to fully realize his potential, imo, that's the path. we'll see how much of a priority this is for lebron and the cavs coaching staff. the immediate may override the long-term.

·
Registered
61 Posts
lol I don't get how people call him King James before the NBA draft and he can't even carry a team with Boozer and Big Z former all star to the playoffs atleast ofr an 8th seed Carmelo did it in the WEST a much harder thing to do

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
lol I don't get how people call him King James before the NBA draft and he can't even carry a team with Boozer and Big Z former all star to the playoffs atleast ofr an 8th seed Carmelo did it in the WEST a much harder thing to do
LeBron and Boozer did their best with the Cavs, but the fact was that the team was a mess. They had almost 20 different starters last season, can you even imagine trying to lead a team like that somewhere, let alone in your first year out of High School?

He did a great job leading that team, and for someone who was so overworked he never cracked. He had to play point guard, a position he had never played before, for a few months because their only point guard on the roster to start the season was Kevin Ollie!

Few rookies ever have had such scrutiny and such a demanding situation.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Yeah Big Z and Boozer are soooo good.:rolleyes:
The Cavs had to add Lebron, Mcinnis, Eric Williams, and Tony Battie to that team just to get them competitive.

Z only really contributed the second half of the season. And Boozer doesn't win games for you. He's like a poor man's elton brand in that he gets nice enough stats, but he doesn't carry your team to victory.

The Cavs are on the right track. Boozer and Z gave up after Mcinnis went down. The only reason they won even 1 game once Mcinnis went down is because Lebron went off on New Jersey.

Boozer and Z are way overrated. You can't build a team around either of them.

·
Registered
259 Posts
lebron most definitely surpass my expections, to tell u the truth i thought he was gonna put up darius miles number 9/5/3, didnt think he was gonna have much impact because he was a highschooler.
as for lebrons cavs, i remember everyone thinkin they'll be the worst team in the L again this year, and the cavs suprised me with a 9th place finish in the east.
lebron has certainly lived up and surpass the hype as for his rookie season

·
Registered
8,825 Posts
To be competely honest, as only I can, LeBron disappointed me greatly.

I thought he'd average 25 8 and 8 on 47.6% shooting. Let's face facts: the guy simply didn't live up to his billing.

You say he was 18 years old? I say: 18 years old, shmateteen years old. I was once 18 years old. Big deal.

You say he came in with ungodly hype? I say: so did Mike Miller, but that didn't stop him from winning ROY, now did it?

You say he was a rookie who had to be the focal point of a horrible franchise and had to deal with Ricky "Resentful Cancerous Green-Eyed Substance" Davis? I say: shut up with your cold, hard truth and let me revel in my LeBron hatred, you SOB.

Carmelo is the best player in the NBA.

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
Originally posted by <b>spriggan9</b>!
To be competely honest, as only I can, LeBron disappointed me greatly.

I thought he'd average 25 8 and 8 on 47.6% shooting. Let's face facts: the guy simply didn't live up to his billing.

You say he was 18 years old? I say: 18 year old, shmateteen year old. I was once 18 years old. Big deal.

You say he came in with ungodly hype? I say: so did Mike Miller, but that didn't stop him from winning ROY, now did it?

You say he was a rookie who had to be the focal point of a horrible franchise and had to deal with Ricky "Resentful Cancerous Green-Eyed Substance" Davis? I say: shut up with your cold, hard truth and let me revel in my LeBron hatred, you SOB.

Carmelo is the best player in the NBA.
:grinning: Good post!

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ArtestFan</b>!

Well, they won about half their games, so by just about any definition of the word "mediocre," they were a mediocre team. But that doesn't have anything to do with LeBron James.

I would say that his stats were much better than what I expected, but his impact on the Cavs' success was a little bit below what I expected. If I had known before the season started that Carlos Boozer would have as good of a year as he did, I would have assumed that Cleveland was a playoff team. But they weren't, because they couldn't play defense or hit an outside jump shot. LeBron was as much to blame for those things as anyone, and I thought he'd be a better shooter and defender than he was.
My feelings exactly ArtestFan.

Originally posted by <b>blabla97</b>!

If you honestly thought Lebron was going to do better than 21/6/6 in rookie season, you need to find a new sport to follow. James exceed even the most unrealistic expectations anybody possibly could have had for an 18 year old rookie, and actually played better than his stats show.

Now if you're just ripping the kid because he shot 42% and you miss your showtime days in the 1980's when everybody shot 50% because nobody played defense....

well, then I'd also find a new sport to follow...
Um, didn't you once say Sam Cassell was a slasher?

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ArtestFan</b>!
I would say that his stats were much better than what I expected, but his impact on the Cavs' success was a little bit below what I expected. If I had known before the season started that Carlos Boozer would have as good of a year as he did, I would have assumed that Cleveland was a playoff team. But they weren't, because they couldn't play defense or hit an outside jump shot. LeBron was as much to blame for those things as anyone, and I thought he'd be a better shooter and defender than he was.
That sums up my thoughts on his rookie season.

21 - 40 of 135 Posts