Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
61 - 80 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
Originally posted by <b>PauloCatarino</b>!

Do you think an NBA superstar should be making 42% of his shots? Please... (and no, i´m not therealdeal...)
Ok, if you don't find LBJ to be a superstar, then don't get on his case for shooting 42%. Comparing LBJ to Kobe or Tmac right now is inane.

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
Originally posted by <b>spriggan9</b>!

Melo was actually very hyped pre-season.
Can you honestly say he was as much hyped as LeBron?

I don't know where you were.
In Europe. And unawear (sp?) Melo had something like a 100million shoe deal...

The kid led his college team to a national championship as a Freshman and was probably the best player in the entire tournament. He was hyped up like crazy. Not as much as LeBron, but he got his fair share of hype.
Then why, must i ask, he wasn´t MUCH MORE hyped than LBJ?

People were talking about Melo/LeBron showdowns before the season ever started.
True. Then what?

Besides, there's a considerable difference between spending a year in college playing under a good coach and coming straight from HS.
Exactly my point. How can one uber-hype a highschool kid so much? It´s crazy!!!

Maybe you're just threatened by the constant LeBron/Magic comparisons? That's who everyone likened him to preseason. A huge guard with special court vision. Magic. LeBron.
Before the season started i´ve stated in numerous threads LBJ could NEVER equal Magic´s brilliance on the court...
Now it seems he will play SF....
There goes the chance of a comparison!!!

Same reason all the MJ fans hate Kobe, I guess.
Pure Basketball fans hating on Kobe´s play are idiots, IMHO. I was a MJ hater since day one, but i still saw his magnitude...

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Some guy in 194 joined the Bulls, and improved them by 11 wins, from 27-55 to 38-44. He scored 28 with 6 and 6 as a 21-year old rookie, coming off 3 years in a tremendous NCAA program at NC.

The next year they were 7-11 when he had a seaon-ending injury. The following year he led the league with 37ppg, but his team still had a losing record. He still couldn't shoot a trey to save his life, by this point he was 24/136, a career 17.6% treyshooter.

The Cavs were 17-65 before Lebron. They improved by 18 wins to 35-47, more than double their win total. He was 21-6-6 as an 18/19 year old rookie coming straight out of high school.

His feeble 63 treys at 29% in one season still beats the hell out of 24/136. And he shot 44% from inside the arc.

His "terrible" .417 matched a couple of guys you may have heard of, Tracy McGrady and Vince Carter. (Also superstars on losing teams...)

It was better than:
Chris Webber
Latrell Sprewell
Steve Francis
Paul Pierce
Baron Davis
and Chauncy Billups (only the NBA Champ-MVP)

Anyone who says Lebron didn't live up to the hype is a hater.

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
Originally posted by <b>The Mad Viking</b>!
Some guy in 194 joined the Bulls, and improved them by 11 wins, from 27-55 to 38-44. He scored 28 with 6 and 6 as a 21-year old rookie, coming off 3 years in a tremendous NCAA program at NC.

The next year they were 7-11 when he had a seaon-ending injury. The following year he led the league with 37ppg, but his team still had a losing record. He still couldn't shoot a trey to save his life, by this point he was 24/136, a career 17.6% treyshooter.

The Cavs were 17-65 before Lebron. They improved by 18 wins to 35-47, more than double their win total. He was 21-6-6 as an 18/19 year old rookie coming straight out of high school.

His feeble 63 treys at 29% in one season still beats the hell out of 24/136. And he shot 44% from inside the arc.

His "terrible" .417 matched a couple of guys you may have heard of, Tracy McGrady and Vince Carter. (Also superstars on losing teams...)

It was better than:
Chris Webber
Latrell Sprewell
Steve Francis
Paul Pierce
Baron Davis
and Chauncy Billups (only the NBA Champ-MVP)

Anyone who says Lebron didn't live up to the hype is a hater.
IF LEBRON JAMES HAD SCORED SOMETHING LIKE 30PPG ON THOSE KIND OF SHOOTING PERCENTAGES, MAYBE YOU WOULD HAVE A POINT!!!!!

For the rest, read my posts in this thread..

·
Registered
8,825 Posts

Can you honestly say he was as much hyped as LeBron?
No, that's why in the following sentence I said "not as much as LeBron".

In Europe. And unawear (sp?) Melo had something like a 100million shoe deal...
Uh.. ok. And Melo didn't get a multi million dollar shoe deal from Nike for being obscure.

Then why, must i ask, he wasn´t MUCH MORE hyped than LBJ?
Because LeBron's the best and most complete HS player ever, and Melo was an excellent college player, something we've seen many times before. No one ever saw a player like LeBron. It's no coincidence he's had the best rookie season of any player ever coming out of HS.

True. Then what?
It was a response to your ridiculous "did the media even suggest that Melo could have a great season?" Yes. That's why he was so hyped and compared to LeBron. Once again, I reiterate, he wasn't as hyped as LeBron. But Melo was very very hyped.

Exactly my point. How can one uber-hype a highschool kid so much? It´s crazy!!!
Why is it crazy? He was hyped for a reason. He's really freaking good.

Before the season started i´ve stated in numerous threads LBJ could NEVER equal Magic´s brilliance on the court...
Now it seems he will play SF....
There goes the chance of a comparison!!!
You just basically proved my point. You obviously got pissed at the LeBron/Magic comparisons, so that's why you have something against him now. It's blatantly obvious.

"Didn't exceed the hype." Heh. LeBron isn't one of my favorite players by any stretch, and I've argued against him more than I've argued against any single other player. Ever.

But saying he didn't exceed the hype is just ridiculous.

·
Registered
5,637 Posts
Can you name a rookie guard who came in as a good defender, passer, shooter, and overall scorer? Much less one that came straight out of HS. It's not likely. LeBron was a good scorer and passer last season. He'll develop the jumper and defense (which has already improved a large amount at Athens) with time.
Are you seriously saying, "Sure, LeBron James couldn't shoot or play defense, but that's OK, neither can Ndudi Ebi?" What? LeBron was supposed to be able to do things that no rookie from high school had ever done. If you even have to make the excuse that "Tracy McGrady couldn't do it either when he was a rookie," you're admitting that the answer to the question this thread asked, is no.

Remember how much Cleveland sucked at the beginning of the year? They only improved when they brought in some nice veteran role players like Eric Williams, Tony Battie and Jeff McInnis. Just adding LeBron didn't make them that much better at all. Yes, I did expect a guy who people were saying was already a great all-around player, to add more W's than he did.

·
Registered
14,165 Posts

Because LeBron's the best and most complete HS player ever,
YOU MUST BE COMPLETELY OUT OF YOUR MIND!!!!
YOU OBVIOULY DON´T REMEMBER A CERTAIN LEW ALCINDOR OR A CERTAIN KID WHO BROLE WILT CHAMBERLAIN´S SCORING RECORD IN HIGHSCHOOL!!!

Sorry. Ol´boy, but your credibility has just gone to shambles...

I won´t adress this again with you, since you are clearly so biased....

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
Hype can be very subjective, but no one can deny that Lebron James is the real deal. There is no nonsense with this guy, except for the fact that he is plainly amazing on court. There has not been a single guy like him before in the past. Some one this good and in such physical condition at such a young age, theres no telling what the future holds for him.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts
:rolleyes: Anyone who expected Lebron to do better than he did is on crack. He FAR exceeded expectations....Reasonable people were expecting about 16/5/5.

·
Registered
5,704 Posts

YOU OBVIOULY DON´T REMEMBER A CERTAIN LEW ALCINDOR OR A CERTAIN KID WHO BROLE WILT CHAMBERLAIN´S SCORING RECORD IN HIGHSCHOOL!!!

He said COMPLETE player....Could Kareem run an offense? Did Kareem have a 40 inch vert? Could Kareem pop 3's? Did he already have a mans body in HS? Didn't think so.

Lebron is the most complete HS player ever, but maybe not the best to play HS ball.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
HELL YES he lived up to the hype.

To those who expected more, are you kidding me? He's 19 years old, months removed from HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL, and as a ROOKIE averaged 21/6/6. Not only were his stats insane, but he created matchup problems from hell for every team in the NBA, and always played big-time when he was on centerstage. Remember his great he was in his first game? Remember the show he put on that show with T-Mac on Christmas?

Anybody who think he's been dissappointing in any way is a complete idiot...no offense. Considering what he's already accomplished, and also considering that he's likely to become the best player in the league maybe as early as late next season, he's been anything but dissappointing.

He hasn't just lived up the unbelievable hype, he exceeded it...which, if you were to think about that before the season, is a very scary thought.

·
Registered
8,825 Posts

:laugh:

Who am I biased against? Who am I biased for? Didn't I just tell you that LeBron isn't one of my favorite players and I've argued against him more often than any other player?

YOU'RE calling ME biased? The guy who thinks Magic was a superior player to MJ is calling me biased. I love it.

LeBron was a better HS player than Kobe and Kareem. And Wilt.

He took crappy players who were never going to be Division 1 players and went up against teams with several Division 1 prospects... and beat them all. He defines "making teammates better".

Good job ignoring all my other points too. :greatjob:

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
Originally posted by <b>dmilesai</b>!

He said COMPLETE player....Could Kareem run an offense? Did Kareem have a 40 inch vert? Could Kareem pop 3's? Did he already have a mans body in HS? Didn't think so.

Lebron is the most complete HS player ever, but maybe not the best to play HS ball.
For the record... He said THE BEST...

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
I'll raise the bar a bit here...LeBron may be the most complete BASKETBALL player ever, not just high school...at least he has the potential to be.

Well... maybe not quite yet...but his physical gifts are mind-boggling. He's one of the best prospects ever in any sport, because physically he has absolutely no weaknesses. 6'8, 245 pound player who can play 4 positions (has the physical tools to play the 4 if necessary.) Combine that with his strength, speed (dude's faster than hell!!!) ridiculous court vision/passing ability, and his mind-boggling run-jump, he's clearly the best athlete in the game today, and maybe the best athlete in the game ever...up there with MJ, Wilt, Dr J, etc.

Add all that to a great work ethic and unselfish, almost cerebral approach to the game, and LeBron's potential has no limits. I really don't think people understand how unbelievable he could be.

·
Registered
8,825 Posts

Sorry, Sprigg, but this was too much amusing for me to ignore...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
State your case then. Have fun with it.

·
Registered
14,165 Posts

State your case then. Have fun with it.
Alcindor led Power Memorial to New York City Catholic High School championship in 1963, 1964 and 1965, racking up 2,067 points and 2,002 rebounds in his prep career, both New York City records. In his sophomore season, he became the first soph to make Parade's high school All-American team. Wrote ESPN.com's Sam Smith: "The greatest hype? I'd have to say it was for Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, then named Lew Alcindor. High school games weren't televised back then, but we did have TV and even a couple of stations. When Alcindor was at Power Memorial High School, his game against Morgan Wooten's DeMatha powerhouse was a national story, especially since Power hadn't lost for several years. DeMatha won, and Alcindor went to UCLA and didn't lose again for several years.
8. Wilt Chamberlain (Overbrook High School, Philadelphia)
In a preview of what would come when he hit the NBA, Chamberlain scored a city-record 90 points in one game his senior year, even though he only played about 28 minutes (he ran off 60 points during one 10-minute run). He also averaged 50 points a game for the first 16 games of his senior year, and he ended his prep career with 2,206 points. Overbrook won city titles his junior and senior years, and Chamberlain was recruited by more than 200 colleges before choosing Kansas. You know the rest of his story.
Source

Or
At age 9, Lew Jr. tried his first hook shot. He missed, but it felt natural. He was already 5-8. As an eighth grader he stood 6-8 and could dunk.

As a sophomore at Power Memorial, he averaged 19 points and 18 rebounds as Power went undefeated. It went unbeaten again in Alcindor's junior season. The next year, for the first time in 72 games, Alcindor and Power lost, beaten 46-43 by DeMatha Catholic High School of Maryland. Alcindor, who had been averaging 30 points, was held to 16. It was his only loss in his last three years. He finished his career at Power in 1965 with 2,067 points and 2,002 rebounds (both New York City records).
Source

·
Registered
8,825 Posts
Very good. Now go look up the stuff LeBron did in high school, since you don't seem very aware of it.

Look at this. The guy says exactly what I said! And he actually saw Kareem in person.

"He is the best high school player ever. Ever," stresses Los Angeles Clippers scout Evan Pickman, a 57-year-old New Yorker who saw Lew Alcindor play in high school before he became Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. "LeBron was better in high school than Alcindor, Kobe [Bryant] and Moses Malone. I say that because LeBron took four teammates who are not going to be Division I college players and they went up against teams of three, four and five big-time college prospects -- and LeBron's team beat them all."
Exactly what I said. I feel so proud.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/ian_thomsen/news/2003/07/15/thomsen_insider/

61 - 80 of 135 Posts