Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching last night's game and it seemed to me that he looked a bit thinner, especially up in the head, neck, chest area. I didn't really think about it too much because the TV I was watching is 13 years old and the picture is starting to go out, so I chalked it up to my bad TV. But today I have had two different people ask me the same thing. Did Shaq look thinner last night?

·
What Do You Know??? Shaqtus
20,601 Posts
I would think that he would have gained weight over this time... Which is the most likely thing, you just havent seen him in a while...

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Originally posted by <b>SacKings384</b>!
I would think that he would have gained weight over this time... Which is the most likely thing, you just havent seen him in a while...
*cough*troll*cough*

Anyway, yeah, he actually did look a bit thinner to tell you the truth.

·
Premium Member
6,937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sackings has a point. One would think that Shaq's inactivity would have caused him to gain weight.

But he really did look thinner. Let's hope he's losing weight the right way and it will all help with his calf/foot/toe problems.

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts

IF HE CANT MOVE, HES GOING TO GAIN WEIGHT! Its not being a troll its having some damn common sense
Sorry, but are you honestly this stupid? Do you have any concept of fitness whatsoever? Seriously, stop right now. You truly don't know what the heck you're talking about.

If you can't move you're going to gain weight? My god. :rolleyes:

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Sean</b>!
But he really did look thinner. Let's hope he's losing weight the right way and it will all help with his calf/foot/toe problems.
Well, with Shaq, all he really needs to do is diet properly. Running will help, obviously, but Shaq's problem is dieting. Notice how Kobe lost weight during the summer with a knee fresh off of surgery. Shaq's toe surgery wasn't quite as serious and he came back about 30-40 lbs heavier.

·
20,601 Posts
Kobe lost weight during the summer with a knee fresh off of surgery. Shaq's toe surgery wasn't quite as serious and he came back about 30-40 lbs heavier.
Is that not proving my point... Shaq didnt move, and he gained 30-40 pounds... Yes i know about fitness, and if u dont excercise for a month or so, and ur already out of shape, your certainly not going to LOSE weight, your most likely to gain...

·
20,601 Posts
If you can't move you're going to gain weight? My god.
You figured it out EHL! You hit it right on the head! Shaqs problem was that he was working out too much! Thats why he gained weight! He needs to sit around and not move for a couple months and hell be in AWESOME shape! Because, sitting around not moving is what you need to be fit. Hell, im buying a lazy boy right now! Thats how Karl Malone is so fit, he just sits around and watches Rocky marathons...

·
Registered
2,127 Posts

You figured it out EHL! You hit it right on the head! Shaqs problem was that he was working out too much! Thats why he gained weight! He needs to sit around and not move for a couple months and hell be in AWESOME shape! Because, sitting around not moving is what you need to be fit. Hell, im buying a lazy boy right now! Thats how Karl Malone is so fit, he just sits around and watches Rocky marathons...
Well, in a way you are kind of right. Sitting around doing nothing but eating good meals will get you in shape for nba players. Why? you say?

Its because of a little thing called RECOVERY PERIOD . Alot of body builders isolate muscle groups and then let them rest for no less than 4 days and no more than 10 days. a week is average.

The most common mistake people make when weight training is OVER training. Not allowing your muscles to rest at all. Therefore they dont regenerate and dont get bigger.

The fact that shaq infact looks thinner baffles me. The only reason i can think of this is maybe he stopped weight training all together and then just sat around. It could have alot to do with his diet as well, maybe he stopped training and taking suppliments. i dunno. IF hes losing weight, hopefully hes shedding off bad mass.

·
Registered
10,840 Posts
I understand SacKings' logic, but I think he is stressing it a little too much. However, this is Shaq we are talking about, and the guy has always been labled as overweight, so I wouldn't realistically think Shaq set himself out to lose weight while he was out. If Shaq doesn't lose significant weight in the offseason, why would anybody believe he would lose it during a brief period like a month?

·
20,601 Posts
u really think shaq has just sit around this whole time???????
Lol, Yes, Yes i do... This isnt Kobe, this is Shaq :laugh: and Koko i agree, if he didnt excercise when he was healthy, he wont excercise when hes not...

Its because of a little thing called RECOVERY PERIOD . Alot of body builders isolate muscle groups and then let them rest for no less than 4 days and no more than 10 days. a week is average.
Im not arguing at all that Shaq may have become healthier, having his calf recover, im saying that, i wouldnt suspect that hes thinner, if anything he would have stayed the same if not gain... thats all im sayin...

·
20,601 Posts
BTW, he did look thinner, but i hadnt seen him play for a while, so maybe i just wasnt used to it, i find it unlikely that he lost any...

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
Well, SacKings384's got a good point.

But if Shaq indeed lose some weight, then that's good, real good for us.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
He looked a lot bigger to me.

·
BBB.net Archivist
26,901 Posts

Is that not proving my point... Shaq didnt move, and he gained 30-40 pounds... Yes i know about fitness, and if u dont excercise for a month or so, and ur already out of shape, your certainly not going to LOSE weight, your most likely to gain...
You can lose weight without moving a muscle. All you have to do is eat less calories than your body requires and your body burns fat (or muscle if you're not careful) for energy.

You should take a health or nutrition class some time.

·
Banned
8,423 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Jemel Irief</b>!

You can lose weight without moving a muscle. All you have to do is eat less calories than your body requires and your body burns fat (or muscle if you're not careful) for energy.
And you think Shaq will do that? Eat less calories. I don't think so and that's what SacKings is trying to say that Shaq no doubt eats a lot and if he's sitting around he will not lose any weight and even when he wasn't injured he looked kind of overweight so when he's injured I don't think he's going to lose weight. BTW he looked thinner (but I don't think he did it sitting around). :cool:
:twocents:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.