Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Deng a mistake? Not really. Iggy is a very good player but Deng is equally good if not better and in the long run I like Deng because of his enormous potential.

·
Train Em While Young.....
3,628 Posts
Sir Patchwork said:
Drafting both Deng and Iguodala might have been the best move for this team.
Do you ignore what Ben Gordon has done for this team?

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,794 Posts
Future said:
No, I just don't overlook what Deng has done for this team. I think both Deng and Iguodala are bigger impact players than Gordon right now, but neither are as good at scoring, which is the stat people favor most.

·
BAIT
12,946 Posts
I'd have to say, if we were to redo the draft, I'd still want Deng and Gordon.

Is Igoudala great? Yeah, so what? Let him be great in Philly.

We can't get every player we'd like. I'm happy with our 41 wins right now, and our rookies have a lot to do with that.

·
Registered
8,438 Posts
I booed at the draft when we didn't draft Iggy. Now I see him and Ben and Lou as players with very similar high ceilings. If we would have drafted Iggy and Deng as I desired at that time, we would have had a more imposing defensive team, but who would be scaring people at the end of games? Would our record have been as good? The impact Gordon has made has been unbelievable, proving that it's not just the size that matters. After the beginning of the season when Luol got many shots, he has been relegated to finding his shots in the flow of the game. I still see him as a our best penetrator, our overall most versital player, and an eventual uber role player and many time all star on the level of a Shawn Marion.

·
Train Em While Young.....
3,628 Posts
Sir Patchwork said:
No, I just don't overlook what Deng has done for this team. I think both Deng and Iguodala are bigger impact players than Gordon right now, but neither are as good at scoring, which is the stat people favor most.
I agree with you, I think Deng is very underrated. He does the dirty work and scores when he needs to. He is also a great defender consistantly.

I still would draft Gordon and Deng because you can't deny what Gordon has done for this team. His scoring in the 4th quarter along with Deng's defense are huge factors for our winning percentage.

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,794 Posts
Future said:
I still would draft Gordon and Deng because you can't deny what Gordon has done for this team. His scoring in the 4th quarter along with Deng's defense are huge factors for our winning percentage.
Deng and Gordon is probably better than Deng and Iguodala, since Deng and Gordon do such different things, and Deng and Iguodala do some of the same things. Of course, I'd love to see Deng and Iguodala on the wings together. We'd rely on Deng and Hinrich a lot more as scorers, but they also wouldn't have nearly the same defensive load with Iguodala, so they'd have the energy to do it. Igoudala is also capable of playing 35+ minutes, which is something Gordon can't do yet.

·
Queensbridge
1,936 Posts
Going back to the draft, I'd do the same thing all over again. Deng is a much more complete player than Iggy at this point in their careers, and is every 'bit as talented on the defensive side of things. As proven when he was put up with LeBron James or Stephen Jackson, any tall guards that can create off the dribble and are tough match-ups, we can count on both him and Nocioni. On top of all this, Luol is a proven winner, and has a nice mid-range jumper.

And.. I'm also happy with Gordon. He is a flat-out playmaker, and without him on this team, we'd fall apart in a lot of tight ball games.

Good job by Paxson. Cheers!

·
Registered
8,660 Posts
Future said:
Nah, he just hates Gordon and apparently thinks scoring isn't that important to win a game. Remember, scoring = flashy. And flash = BAD, un-fundamental basketball :rolleyes:

As far as Iggy goes, who doesn't love him? But thing is, Deng can do all of the stuff Iggy can(aside from the ridiculous athleticism), and already has a more polished offensive game. And on the Bulls right now, we need O since the D is set.

I wouldn't change how we drafted one bit. Deng is a great all round talent and is only 19. Ben can flat out get it done, and I just can't imagine where this team would be w/o him.

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,794 Posts
SPMJ said:
Nice find. Afterall, I was the only one who believed that :rolleyes:

There are plenty of "clueless" people roaming around here then.
You should make a habit of respecting other peoples opinions instead of labeling them clueless or haters if they disagree with you.

·
The Snake
6,527 Posts
We all love Iggy and Deng, but the Bulls would be right back in the lottery without Ben Gordon. Our defensive system has helped turned the Bulls around, but what the Bulls never had no matter how good Jalen Rose was, was a guy who we knew could score, especially in the 4th quarter. I said Gordon was going to be the best player out of the draft and I stick by that. Honestly he reminds me of a taller, slower version of Iverson, and believe me I'm okay with that. 22 games with 10 or more points in the 4th. Averaging 15 a game in 24 minutes a game. Gordon is going to be the star this team so deseperatly needed. Iggy isn't a dime a dozen, but like somebody said, this team already plays defense.

Reactions: ChiBron

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Even though Deng is a better player, Iggy fits this team much better. He's a better defender of shooting guards and shores up any remaining defensive weaknesses nicely. Iggy is also a great passer, and can play point forward, leaving Gordon to do this thing. Also, we already have a very capable 3 in Nocioni. Having both Nocioni and Deng is redundant.

So, in hindsight, I would have taken Iguodala rather than Deng.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
T.Shock said:
I said Gordon was going to be the best player out of the draft and I stick by that. Honestly he reminds me of a taller, slower version of Iverson, and believe me I'm okay with that..
WOW. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I've had the same thoughts in my head lately, but I didn't have the balls to mention him and Iverson in the same breath. Thanks for doing it for me.

That said, I think he's only slightly slower than Iverson, but he lacks his motor. He simply is not as relentless at this point as AI#1 is or was....but when ben decides to attack the rim, there's nothing any one defender can do.....

One thing that should be noted though is that Ben Gordon is alread a better shooter than AI has ever been in his career....and likely will be. But AI is still far and away the better ballhandler and a slightly better defender.

To stay on topic....If IGGY was 6'7 or 6'8, I might have taken him over deng.

If I'm Skiles, I FORCE Gordon and Deng to concentrate on ballhandling this offseason (Deng has the talent to be a point forward...he just lacks the skill right now). And I force Duhon to concentrate on long range shooting.

This brings me to another question that I will ask in another thread...

·
Skokie, IL 60076
17,170 Posts
Where would the offense come from if we had Iggy? I had Iguodala as my guy from the beginning but Deng proved me dead wrong. Now that Iggy is stepping up, I'm less wrong.

Pax had a hard decision to make and if Deng wasn't there, he would have taken Iggy. Didn't he work him out twice? Still you can't go wrong with Deng. Deng does a fine job guarding defenders but offense and his surprising jumpshot propels him ahead of Andre.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts