Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
On the pre-game show, Mike Rice says Omar Cook will be signed tomorrow. Cook is the best player available he says.

·
Registered
14,070 Posts
he is the best available. Was averagin over 8 assirts per game in the nbdl

·
Registered
6,509 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
zach darius and omar are from the same HS class.. it was fun watching them a few years ago on national teams and such

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Omar Cooke was a stud in HS, and for all of us who've been clamoring for a "pass first" PG since Damon's arrival, it'd be interesting to see if Omar is that.

Of course, the odds are that he's a fringe player, at best, because of his utter and continued lack of a jump shot.

Hopefully we'll sign him and find out.

Ed O.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Omar Cook? :no:

I was hoping we would sign MATEEN CLEAVES..lol...but i am not the GM....:laugh:

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Eww...i dont want Mateen Cleaves.

I really like this omar kid. He is young and looks alot like a good passer. Maby a poor mans TJ Ford?

I wonder what ever happend to Steve Logan. He was the 1st pick of the 2nd round in 2002.

nbadraft.nt had Omar Cook a projected 1st rounder 2 years ago. He left HS as a freshman. If we can work on his J, i wonder if he can eventualy be a good NBA player.

He had 15 points, 9 assists, 3 rebounds, 2.3 steals a game as a freshman. But shot only 36%.

Here is some info(From NBADraft.net)

NBA Comparison: Jason Kidd

Strengths: Like J-Kidd, pushes the ball well and is a scintillating passer... Very strong point guard skills. Passes, handles, and defends extremely well.... Penetrates very well..... Has supreme strength and quickness... A very confident player with good leadership traits...

Weaknesses: With a better jumpshot he would be a lottery pick. Offensive game is still very undeveloped. 36% from the field is atrocious.... Mechanics on jumpshot need work... Could substantially increase his draft position with another year at St John's...

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
Originally posted by <b>bfan1</b>!
stats
Omar Cook

As a freshman, Cook averaged 15.3 ppg, 8.7 apg and 3.0 rpg for the Red Storm. He was named Third All-Big East Conference as a freshman, joining Seton Hall’s Eddie Griffin as the only freshman in the conference to be selected to an All-Conference team. Cook finished second in the nation in assists (8.7 apg) behind Markus Carr of Cal State-Northridge (8.9 apg). His 252 assists set a freshman school record, previously held by Erick Barkley (Portland Trail Blazers) and ranks second on the all-time single-season chart.
WOOOOHOOOO! We managed to land a guy who gets mentioned in the same sentence as Eric Barkley. No stopping us now! I FEEL....GOOD!

(Incidentally, I happen to like how Miles looked tonight running backup point. he's got some experience at the job from Cleveland, although there they tried giving him the starting job. give him 20 minutes a night against the second squad and he'll do fine.)

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I am a fan of Mateen Cleaves, I always thought he could be really good if he got playing time but he never has, I haven't seen Omar play but Ive heard good things, either is an improvement and good to stop the hurt in confidence for Qyntel, we gotta find Q minutes else where. I would take Cleaves but who knows.

·
Registered
16,001 Posts
Originally posted by <b>ThatBlazerGuy</b>!
Eww...i dont want Mateen Cleaves.
Me, neither. Cleaves couldn't play at the NBA level as a rookie at age 23, and I seriously doubt he's better equipped to do it now at age 26 and after numerous injuries.

Cook might not ever amount to anything, but at least he's 4 years younger and higher reward situation.

Ed O.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts