Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Dikembe

Dikembe to the nets, and vanhorn back on the sixers along with Todd mac. just saw on espn bottomline

·
A!
9,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting note:

MacCulloch goes back to Philly after leaving via free agency....Van-Horn also goes back to Philly after being traded on draft day to the Nets for Tim Thomas.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Who got the better deal?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Nets by far. Kidd wanted a big man and they got one. Mutumbo is a great rebounder and defensive player. The Nets now have someone who can handle Shaq ( I said handle not stop). The Nets got rid of Van Horn(thank GOD!!!!!!!!!!!)

they will win the east next year definetly.

This starting line up will when the east next year :

kidd
Kittles
Jefferson
Martin
Mutumbo

·
Jersey Girl
10,482 Posts
Originally posted by <b>hunterb14</b>!
Nets by far. Kidd wanted a big man and they got one. Mutumbo is a great rebounder and defensive player. The Nets now have someone who can handle Shaq ( I said handle not stop). The Nets got rid of Van Horn(thank GOD!!!!!!!!!!!)

they will win the east next year definetly.

This starting line up will when the east next year :

kidd
Kittles
Jefferson
Martin
Mutumbo
and let's not forget how good nj's bench is too.

thorn is doing all that he can to keep kidd in jersey.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Originally posted by <b>KC</b>!
Interesting note:

MacCulloch goes back to Philly after leaving via free agency....Van-Horn also goes back to Philly after being traded on draft day to the Nets for Tim Thomas.
Yeah, you're right. Good call, KC.

HEY, CARON BUTLER! When is it okay for me to remove my foot from my mouth? Do I REALLY have to keep it in there for the rest of the day? A man's gotta EAT, you know!

ALSO! The Nets will find out just how beat up Dikembe's body really is. But at LEAST they get rid of Van Horn. Oh well, this is yet ANOTHER example of why you pay guys for PERFORMANCE, not POTENTIAL--you get stuck with paying a guy like Van Horn a ton of money and you are forced to give up a nice cheap young center like Todd MacCulloch for a broken down super-expensive old man like Mutombo!

I think Van Horn could actually be a great fit in Philly. He's the first legit #2 option that team has had during The Iverson Administration. And, if anybody can get Van Horn to play up to his potential, if ANYBODY can get that dude to play some damn defense, it's Larry Brown, the best coach in the Eastern Conference, and the best defensive-minded coach in the league! And I'm not sure that Todd MacCulloch isn't a better player at this point than Dikembe Mutombo. He's certainly a hell of a lot cheaper!

Let's take a look at both teams:

New Jersey

PG Jason Kidd--Chris Childs
SG Kerry Kittles--Lucious Harris
SF Richard Jefferson
PF Kenyon Martin
C Dikembe Mutombo--Aaron Williams--Jason Collins

Are they REALLY better? No, they aren't--Van Horn was obviously overpaid and needed to go because of his contract, but they'll miss him more than you guys think. Who is this team's #2 scorer now? KERRY KITTLES? The Nets are gambling that Kenyon Martin has a HUGE year next year--I'm talking 25 points/game! Can he do it? MAYBE! And is Mutombo really a significant upgrade over MacCulloch? Maybe not during the 82-game regular season, ABSOLUTELY NOT in 2003-04 or 2004-05, but during the 2003 NBA Finals versus the L.A. Lakers? ABSOLUTELY. The team needs somebody to throw at Shaq, and Mutombo fits the bill better than anybody in the league today (because of his size). MacCulloch is useless against Shaq.

Philadelphia

PG Eric Snow--Aaron McKie
SG Allen Iverson--John Salmons
SF Keith Van Horn--Greg Buckner--Monty Williams
PF Derrick Coleman
C Todd MacCulloch

Hopefully, the Sixers can SOMEHOW come up with another PF/C-type. Maybe they could trade either Snow or McKie for another big body? [Either Snow or McKie with some filler for either Danny Fortson or Erick Dampier? How about either Snow and McKie with Matt Geiger for BOTH Fortson AND Dampier? The Warriors would do it.] In any event, Dikembe Mutombo never was a very good fit up in Philly, and like I said, Van Horn could really blossom under Larry Brown. Or the two could really HATE each other. And how well will Iverson and Van Horn get along? Anyway, this trade COULD really blow up in Philly's face--OR it COULD work out great, maybe Van Horn just needs a chance of scenery!

I give Philly a BIG edge here from a basketball standpoint--but, from a financial standpoint, the Nets obviously have an even BIGGER edge. The Nets save a whopping $27 MILLION in this deal. And Mutombo comes off the payroll in three years, while Van Horn and MacCulloch are both locked up for another FOUR years.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
THE BEATS OF THE EAST IS BACK!!!

OHH MY.....
Looks like the Nets have positioned themselves back on the top of the East, Deke will make his presence known, just like he's done in his career, The Nets have an outstanding balance of Offense and Deffense now, JKidd will run this team for many more years, what a trade!!!

To: Caron Butler (Board Poster)
Thanx for the quick insider!!! GOOD JOB!!!
And keep it up........you were way ahead of everyone;) :grinning:

·
Registered
50 Posts
is kidd really going to sign a long time deal in Jersey, just because they got Mutuombo? I mean the guy is 36. I like his game, but isnt the reason philly traded him because of his uninspired playoffs against boston?

·
Jersey Girl
10,482 Posts
Originally posted by <b>reggiemiller43</b>!
is kidd really going to sign a long time deal in Jersey, just because they got Mutuombo? I mean the guy is 36. I like his game, but isnt the reason philly traded him because of his uninspired playoffs against boston?
no, but the nets got rid of van horn's heavy contract, and by the time mutumbo's gone, collins will have some experience as a center and krstic will be playing for the nets. the only reason why this trade will lead to kidd signing a long time deal with the nets is because rod thorn is proving to kidd that whatever jason wants, jason gets.

·
Beware of Elbows
18,500 Posts
First of all...Mutombo can't contain Shaq at all. Just look at Shaq's numbers in the 2001 Finals, he killed Deke.

Second...This deal is good for both teams

Third...Dikembe won't contribute to the Nets any more than he did to the Sixers. He will contribute a lot, but not as much as you people seem to think he will.

Fourth...Another key to this deal for the Nets is that Richard Jefferson will get to start, and he should be very good as a starter.

Fifth...Van Horn is a steal for the Sixers, I don't care what anyone else thinks, scoring 15ppg as a 3rd option is good. He is a soft player, but he can play inside and has shown that he has a nice hook shot.

Sixth...MacCulloch gets screwed here, because he just left Philly last year, and now he gets dragged back there. MacCulloch is much better than he was 2 years ago, and should be even better than he was last year with the Nets.

Here are my predictions of the stats for the Sixers and Nets:

NETS (54-28):
C: Dikembe Mutombo...11ppg 10rpg
PF: Kenyon Martin...16ppg 8rpg
SF: Richard Jefferson...13ppg 5rpg
SG: Kerry Kittles...12ppg 4apg
PG: Jason Kidd...15ppg 9apg

SIXERS (52-30):
C: Todd MacCulloch...10ppg 8rpg
PF: Derrick Coleman...13ppg 7rpg
SF: Keith Van Horn...18ppg 6rpg
SG: Allen Iverson...29ppg 4apg
PG: Eric Snow...10ppg 7apg

·
Registered
41 Posts
Jason Kidd isn't going to stay in Jersey because the Nets picked up that fossil Mutumbo. If anything that should scare him away. Mutumbo stinks big time. He was completely non- existent in that Celtic series and they don't even have a center. They would have been better off with T-mac. Deke should put a fork in it, he's done. Even if Jersey makes it to the finals again, the results will be the same, sweep!!! I bet Philly fans are happy somebody was stupid enough to take Deke off their hands. Jason wants to win, and he would have a better chance if he comes out west to play with Timmy. And still there is no guarantee with the Lakers standing in the way. Oh yeah and whoever said Deke could "handle Shaq", see 2001 finals against Philly. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think this is good deal for both teams but Mutombo is too damn old but still he is big man in defense..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts