Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm a big Nets fan but I'm terribly dissapointed in this trade. I have no faith in Dikembe taking us to a higher position than we are now; there's only down to go. Granted, we were only going down with keithe & todd, but I think this trade will accelarate the descent quickly. for byron's sake, its nice that he's getting 'his type of guys' in here, but outside of kidd who is everyones type of guy, there's no reason that anybody in their right mind should put that much faith in his abilities or his role as talent evaluator.
Check out the rest of my thoughts at http://www.njhoopsnet.com/SSAugust6th.html and support a site run by nets fans for nets fans.
peace

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Some quick points/opinions I had after reading your post/article.

1) How could you be unhappy with the drafting of Krstic? He's a legit 7-footer as an 18 year old, that can play. He was arguably the best player at the Youth World Championships last month. Yes, to play center he'll need to bulk up... but I think that even if he doesn't bulk up that much, he can have a great future as a PF.

2) Mutumbo, Jefferson, and Martin are Byron's type of guys because they play defense, and are good for a fastbreak offense. There's no denying that Mac and KVH were the two biggest defensive liabilities on our team. Even if Mutumbo has slowed down... he's still a smart defensive player, who will position himself to alter/prevent shots. Mutumbo is a much better player for a fastbreak offense than Mac is, because Mutumbo helps the team defense, and is a better rebounder... and those are two things that the fastbreak feeds off of (the other is athleticism, which is what Jefferson brings to the table that KVH didn't)

3) Mutumbo has attributed part of his slowdown last year to the fact that he wasn't in the shape he usually was in (due to getting to the finals the year before, and then taking too many days off). He's said that he's worked out since the day after eliminiation, and is ready to go now. Until I see otherwise, I believe him.

4) KVH was never a great 3-point shooter. He was a good shooter, especially for his height, but nothing more. If they gave a large portion of the plays to get him open to Kittles, I'd be much happier. I also wouldn't be too surprised if Jefferson became a similar shooter as KVH was next year. I think Jefferson is a very hard worker, and he realizes that it would help if he stepped up as a shooter... and before you think that it's impossible for someone to gain that much range in one year... check out Vince Carter's career. He started off as a dunker without much range (like Jefferson was last year), with roughly the same 3-point stats as Jefferson... and in his second year he added a good 3-point shot to his game. + there's always the talks about getting Rodney Rogers... who would give them a 3-point shooter that's better than KVH.

5) You think that getting Childs and Mutumbo makes us boring and slow? Were the guys they replaced, Anthony Johnson and Mac, big runners on the fast break? Mutumbo will help the team run more, because he'll get rebounds and kick it out to the pointguard. Childs might not help the team run more, but he's a huge upgrade from Anthony Johnson, in my opinion... especially when it comes to defensive ability and toughness (just watch the clip of Childs punching Kobe in the face. It'll make you smile)

6) We save 27million dollars, without losing any significant part of our future (Jefferson/Martin were going to be the starting 3/4 of the future, and Collins/Krstic were going to be the centers of the future). How can you not like that?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
regarding krstic, i do like the pick in the long run and i think he'll be solid. But, he was not who I was hoping for so I was personally dissapointed in it.. and I was really pointing to just my general dissapointment in the offseason..

regarding muto being a Scott type of guy, since when did we put so much value into Scott type of guys. Sure, Kidd is a Scott Guy, but Kidd is everyone's guy. I dont have that much faith in Scott guys yet to start blindly putting faith into guys he likes. As far as mutumbo starting the break, I admit he should help in that category. But, im more worried about our half-court offense, in which mutumbo and jefferson is a huge drop over keith and todd. the nets overrated motion offense was best with big todd handling the ball in the high post, where dikembe is useless.

despite what mutombo can say his slowdownw as atributed to, the fact is he's getting old, and I dont care how much he works out he'll slow down more. You say he slowed down cause he went to the finals and didnt take days off, then shoudlnt over-exerting himself in workouts cause the same problems in the long run?

as far as keith never being a great three point shooter, i agree. Yet, he was a good one, better than anyone the nets had. as far as them running plays for keith, they barely ever did except until playoff time when he was stroking three's at a very high percentage. coparing rj to vince is interesting, but thats a pretty big stretch.

as far as slow replacing slow, I agree that mac and aj were slow, and I was hoping we'd correct those problems by upgrading speed there.

also, one of my main problems with this trade is the startign forward tandem of rj and kenyon. inidividually their both great talents, but together I dont think they mesh. Both of them are almost carbon copies of each other. with Kenyon firmly in place at PF, he'll be asked to rebound and that will cut down on his break opportunities. at least with keith, keith could board and kenyon could break out.

We now have no one, including kidd, who i feel comfortable taking big shots in tight games. not that I was that comfortable with keith, but at least he has taken big shots in his carreer and actually has a history of hitting some.

basically this comes down to one thing in the end, does this team make kidd any more likely to stay then the one before the trade? No.

If Kidd stays on board, the Nets wont fall into anonymity. But if Kidd does leave, this trade puts us in a very fragile state for the future.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Who were you hoping for in the draft? I can't see anyone picked after him that I think has more potential for the future...

I definately put value into what Scott wants when it comes to "his types of guys." When you hire a coach, you're putting faith into his system... some guys work better for some systems. With Byron Scott, and an offense heavily based on the fast break, we need good defenders/rebounders, and good athletes.

As for the game in the halfcourt... I thought our biggest problem was that we lacked that explosive scorer who could just get to the basket. In my mind, the guy who did that the most last year (even in only limited minutes) was Richard Jefferson. I remember many games where nobody could get to the basket until they put Jefferson in. Even though we lose Mac and KVH (who I think wasn't as effective as he's made out to be in the Nets offense), we'll be at least as good in the halfcourt next year... if only because Jefferson and Martin know they'll have to be primary scorers.

Yea, Van Horn was very good in the playoffs at shooting... but he was not the Nets best shooter. Kerry Kittles without a doubt was. Kittles has a better career % than Van Horn has in his best year.

As for Jefferson and Carter... I just used that as an example because they scored in a similar fashion as rookies... and Carter tremendously increased his range for his second year. Since Jefferson is such a hard worker, I fully expect him to do the same, and become a good 3-point shooter.

Martin and Jefferson are somewhat similar, in that they're both great athletes... but I think that a problem with playing Martin and Van Horn together was that it slowed down the development of Martin. Martin is, and should be a PF in the NBA... and playing with KVH prevented him from getting bigger and stronger, which he should have been doing from day one (but he couldn't, because he had to guard SFs). Also, even though Van Horn averaged more rebounds, I definately trust Martin more to pull down an important rebound, and I think he'll thrive in rebounding around the basket next year. Also, it doesn't kill him as a fastbreak option, as you infer it will. He'll still be faster than his man, and will be ahead of him down the court. Look at McDyess for example. He always played as, and guarded 4s... yet he was still down the court before them. I expect Martin to play the break next year similar to McDyess did.

Kidd took most of our big shots last year anyways, so I'm not that worried about the loss of KVH. Also, one benefit of this is that maybe someone else will be looked at second, and they'll thrive in the role of taking a game-tying/winning shot (maybe Jefferson?)

I disagree with you that this trade won't help Kidd stay (although I thought he was going to stay even before the trade). This trade shows Kidd that the team is serious about winning... and that the Nets won't tolerate players that don't play tough defense.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts