Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Diop is the most underated player on the cavs he is a good defensive center and with mor playing time he could become a more polished center. get rid of z get a SF and start Diop!

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Diop is very underrated. Especially throughout the league. I constantly see Bulls fans consoling themselves about their two towers by saying Diop is a failure. When really Diop is just a diffrent type of player, and his development has been on a diffrent scale than those guys. And I think he'll be better for it. Paul Silas knows what he's doing with this kid.

I think the Cavs know they have something special with him, that's why they traded Mihm. But they aren't going to rush him. He's getting used about how he needs to be right now.

But in a year or so we could be talking about a special, special player in terms of shotblocking and rebounding(he's even got a nice J at the elbow). He's going to be perfect with Lebron and next to Boozer.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Originally posted by <b>futuristxen</b>!
I constantly see Bulls fans consoling themselves about their two towers by saying Diop is a failure. When really Diop is just a diffrent type of player, and his development has been on a diffrent scale than those guys.
You are right in what you say here, but I don't know if it is in the way you believe. Yes, Diop is different. He is a role player, I believe. LeBron and Boozer will become the focus of this team. I don't see Diop as ever being someone who wants to lead. He will block his shots, grab his rebounds and go home. He will quietly win games for the Cavs while LeBron and Boozer take home the praise. Curry and Chandler are guys who should be stars. They are treated that way and treat themselves that way. They just don't play that way.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jdg</b>!

You are right in what you say here, but I don't know if it is in the way you believe. Yes, Diop is different. He is a role player, I believe. LeBron and Boozer will become the focus of this team. I don't see Diop as ever being someone who wants to lead. He will block his shots, grab his rebounds and go home. He will quietly win games for the Cavs while LeBron and Boozer take home the praise. Curry and Chandler are guys who should be stars. They are treated that way and treat themselves that way. They just don't play that way.
Agree.... one thing I noticed about Diop is that he does not show a lot of emotion. He makes a big block, or makes a nice play, he just turns around a trots down to the other end of the floor. I'm not sure if I have even ever seen him smile? Has anyone?

As for my eval on him.... I hope he continues to improve... he is never gonna be a scorer like Curry could be, but as everyone knows, we don't need that. If he could average 6 points, 11 rbs and 4 blocks while playing stellar individual and team defense.... that'd work for me! They say he works hard, and he did lose the needed weight, and even tho he has been a bit nicked up, he's still healthier than Z or Battie.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
Originally posted by <b>jdg</b>!

Yeah this is pretty much what I'm saying. I think Diop's "smaller" contributions right now are more valuable than anything that Chandler or Curry are doing or not doing. The Cavs don't need the all-star. They need the PJ Brown type guy. Which I think is what Silas has told Diop, which is why is succeeding. The game is very simple for him. Come in play your harderst. Rebound, Block shots. And that's what we need from you.

With Curry and Chandler and even Kwame Brown, the problem is that they can't consistently bring it and bring the little things that their team needs at minimum. Diop can and does. I don't know if he has the ceiling that any of those guys do on the offensive end(he does on the defensive end though).

I think Diop can easily eventually be what Theo Ratliff was for the Sixers before they traded him for Mutombo.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Chandler is better than all of them. Can't fault the man for being injured. Diop is probably only behind Chandler at the moment.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Offensively he is at the beginning... he is unpolished but defensively is already great..The attitude is more important...u can teach a lot but is hard to change the attitude... Diop is not a super talent but slowly can become a solid contributor on offense and will always be a totem on D.. This kind of player is always harder to find in the Nba...and anyway who cares if he doesn't put on many points?? There are already Bron, Boozer and Wagner... A player who can D and doesn't pretend too much shoots is always essential in a good team.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts