Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for all you fans.

Do you think that Dirk Nowitzki is the worst defender in the NBA. If so, why and if not where abouts do you rank.

Personally I have him worst 20 but he isnt as pathetic as some of you people make out.

Theo

·
That'll do Pigley...
51,262 Posts
How can he be the worst, when he at least rebounds.

Glenn Robinson, Maurice Taylor, Jerry Stackhouse, Danny Fortson, Juwan Howard are all pretty damn awful at defense.

Probably because they don't like playing it. LOL.

·
Registered
13,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by <b>KL Dawger</b>!

Rebounds do not equal defense. Just look at Boozer, he averages a lot of rebounds, but he defense is sub par.
I think what he's saying is that Dirk at least attempts (succesfully) to rebound whereas the other guys are quite happy to cherrypick

·
Elite Member
15,161 Posts
Dirk's defense is getting better, but he's not a horrible defender. His defense is below average, or average at best. Maybe someday it'll be average to good.

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
He was playing good defense against Sacremento in the playoffs. So obviously there's potential there. I think if you build a defensive team intsead of an offensive one around Dirk, he becomes an infinitely better defender. He can rebound and block shots pretty durn well. Especially when motivated.

·
Banned
7,135 Posts
The above mentioned offense-only ballhogs (and others like them) are the worst defenders. Dirk isn't like that. He's not a very good defender, but I think that's the fault of his horrible coach, more than himself. He does look like he's trying a little bit out there, and like people said, he can rebound.

Get rid of Nelson, please.

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Pan Mengtu</b>!
The above mentioned offense-only ballhogs (and others like them) are the worst defenders. Dirk isn't like that. He's not a very good defender, but I think that's the fault of his horrible coach, more than himself. He does look like he's trying a little bit out there, and like people said, he can rebound.

Get rid of Nelson, please.
I agree, it's more the coach's fault in this case than the player's. Don Nelson has never been a good defensive coach and sometimes doesn't even care about it at all. Don needs to go for Dirk to become a better defender.

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
He's definitely not a horrible defender in an absolute sense, that is, compared to every single player in the nBA, including the scrubs.

I think when people say he's a "horrible defender," they mean "relative to other elite players." Compared to a sample selected for the best players in the game, Nowitzki does look much worse.

So, in an absolute sense, he's probably only a bit below average. Compared to other elite players, he's quite substandard.

But he "has all the tools" to be a better defender.

·
Beer Drinker!!!
8,247 Posts
Hes prolly the worst defender out of all the Super-Stars in the league,but hes not the worst defender in the league!!!

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Originally posted by <b>theo4002</b>!
I have a question for all you fans.

Do you think that Dirk Nowitzki is the worst defender in the NBA. If so, why and if not where abouts do you rank.

Personally I have him worst 20 but he isnt as pathetic as some of you people make out.

Theo
hard to be a good defender on a team that plays a ton of zone. all you need to know is he's going to be at least a plus ten against just about every guy in the league that he goes against and probably more in the 4th quarter when he gets to the line.

·
Incognasho
4,061 Posts
I think Nowitzki's somewhat subpar defense often gets overstated by his critics for lack of other knocks against him, and people take that and turn it into something bigger than it really is.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts