Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
he went 2 for 2 with it on big ben. If he gets one or two low post moves? it's over for the league.

THERE IS NOBODY in the league who can stop dirk. He has too many movess. He has those mchale like up n under fakes. He can put it on the floor and fade away to create space on shots. If you're too small he'll shoot over the top of you all game. Most big men his size can't keep up with him cause he's too damn quick and has an explosive first step. his footwork is rediculous. He can stop on the dime like a guard. He'll even post up on a big man and then fade away to create space on his jump shot

This is why the mavs are dangerous. both of their forwards can put the ball on the floor and can hit jumpers. If you don't "close out" on them and go for their ball fakes they'll go around you and either score or find an open teammate.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by <b>PetroToZoran</b>!
No one can stop Dirk and Dirk still can't stop anybody. Call me when he starts playing some D.
*sigh* and peja is so good defensively? how about cwebb? how about zach randolph? or melo? or ray allen? or shaq? how about gp getting torched by everyone? it's all good. Peeps can continue to diss dirk all they want but they WISH they had him on their team

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I actually like Dirk as a player and think he is one of the better players in the league... but I don't like it when people come on the board hail their favorite player as the best player in the league. I don't come on the boards and make a thread about Jason Kidd being the shiznit at point guard and must have x-ray vision to make those passes.

You brought up Dirk as being the most unstoppable offensive player and I made a point about how he's a terrible defensive player.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by <b>PetroToZoran</b>!
I actually like Dirk as a player and think he is one of the better players in the league... but I don't like it when people come on the board hail their favorite player as the best player in the league. I don't come on the boards and make a thread about Jason Kidd being the shiznit at point guard and must have x-ray vision to make those passes.

You brought up Dirk as being the most unstoppable offensive player and I made a point about how he's a terrible defensive player.
so dirk gives up 50 a night right? I give up man. I'll just stop posting here. You can't post anything about the mavs or dirk without someone trying to criticize something instead of big upping what they do right. You refused to answer my question. Why is it ok for peja to be 6 10 and grab less than 6 boards a game and play worse defense than dirk and be praised for his game while dirk consistently gets dissed on this board no matter what he does? it's sad really

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Originally posted by <b>merc_cuban</b>!

I give up man. I'll just stop posting here.
Please do.

You can't post anything about the mavs or dirk without someone trying to criticize something instead of big upping what they do right. You refused to answer my question. Why is it ok for peja to be 6 10 and grab less than 6 boards a game and play worse defense than dirk and be praised for his game while dirk consistently gets dissed on this board no matter what he does? it's sad really
Maybe people would be a little more receptive to a Mavs discussion if you weren't so overbearing and hardheaded.

You constantly come on here and talk about how great the Mavs are and as soon as somebody tries to make a counterpoint to anything you say you fall to pieces and start moaning about how everybody hates the Mavs and everybody hates Dirk and then for some reason always bring Peja into the conversation.

And do you want to know why the Mavs get criticized? Because they can't play a lick of defense. They gave up 108 points the Pistons of all teams. How can they ever expect to win a series against teams like Minnesota or San Antonio when they can't stop anybody from scoring. Tonights game was a perfect example, if Dirk doesn't play out of his mind and score 40 points the Mavs loose at home because teams can take it inside and get layups any time they want.

Why can't the Mavs play defense? They probably could if they tried, but there is absolutely NO commitment to it, they just watch guys go by them in transition and are completely disinterested in fighting to keep people off the block. I blame that on coaching, Don Nelson neads to realize this team is going to continue to underachieve unless he can get his guys committed to playing good defense.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by <b>Mike luvs KG</b>!

Please do.

Maybe people would be a little more receptive to a Mavs discussion if you weren't so overbearing and hardheaded.

You constantly come on here and talk about how great the Mavs are and as soon as somebody tries to make a counterpoint to anything you say you fall to pieces and start moaning about how everybody hates the Mavs and everybody hates Dirk and then for some reason always bring Peja into the conversation.

And do you want to know why the Mavs get criticized? Because they can't play a lick of defense. They gave up 108 points the Pistons of all teams. How can they ever expect to win a series against teams like Minnesota or San Antonio when they can't stop anybody from scoring. Tonights game was a perfect example, if Dirk doesn't play out of his mind and score 40 points the Mavs loose at home because teams can take it inside and get layups any time they want.

Why can't the Mavs play defense? They probably could if they tried, but there is absolutely NO commitment to it, they just watch guys go by them in transition and are completely disinterested in fighting to keep people off the block. I blame that on coaching, Don Nelson neads to realize this team is going to continue to underachieve unless he can get his guys committed to playing good defense.
The mavs gave up 50 points in the second half of tonights game. They played great "D" in the 3rd and great "D" late in the 4th. The lakers allowed the pistons to average 106 points against them in 2 games. Well what do you know? The pistons scored 108 against the lakers too? *gasp*
http://www.nba.com/games/20031118/LALDET/boxscore.html

that was with the big four playing too. So no excuses.

The spurs average 85 points a game against the mavs this year. The mavs only averaged like 88 against the spurs and won both games. So let's dead that.

The mavs won a game against minnesota where they only shot 37 percent against the field because they only gave up 88 points and grabbed 60 boards (27 offensive)

There's been plenty of games where kobe has had to go for 40 plus (remember his hot streak last year?) for the lakers to win games.

The problem is I back my arguments with facts. you guys come with opinions.

You guys don't watch the games. You see the final scores, look at efficiency ratings and deem such n such good and such n such bad. that's why you guys get mad at me. I watch the games. I'm a HUGE bball fan. i catch as many games as possible. I don't just used a few twisted stats in my arguments I support em wit the real deal and it pisses you guys off because you can't debate them so instead you ignore my questions and arguments and come back with lame attacks or cry to the mods to have threads locked.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts

The mavs gave up 50 points in the second half of tonights game. They played great "D" in the 3rd and great "D" late in the 4th. The lakers allowed the pistons to average 106 points against them in 2 games.
50 points in a half isn't good. You shouldn't let teams score 100 a game, that's something the East has realized that the West still needs to learn.

And the Pistons have averaged 112 points against the Mavs.

You're not the only one who watches games buddy, and anyone who watches the Mavs play notices they have no interior defense.

And if you thought the Mavs played "great" D in the second half you need to watch more basketball. Detroit got sloppy with the ball and Dallas forced some turnovers, but the Pistons got to the rim at will and the Mavs were never able to force them into taking any bady shots.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

50 points in a half isn't good. You shouldn't let teams score 100 a game, that's something the East has realized that the West still needs to learn.

And the Pistons have averaged 112 points against the Mavs.

You're not the only one who watches games buddy, and anyone who watches the Mavs play notices they have no interior defense.

And if you thought the Mavs played "great" D in the second half you need to watch more basketball. Detroit got sloppy with the ball and Dallas forced some turnovers, but the Pistons got to the rim at will and the Mavs were never able to force them into taking any bady shots.
the east has learned that? since when? I don't call slowing down the pace of the game and bricking more shots than wnba bench players good "D" the west has alot of dope offensive players. Those teams are hard to stop. The mavs score alot more than most teams so teams get alot more scoring opportunites against them. They don't just wait until there are 2 secs left on the shotclock every time before shooting. If someone has a good shot they take it. once again. can you read? I said in the 3rd quarter and late in the 4th the mavs played good "D". The pistons only scored 19 on them in the 3rd. Why is it cause the pistons turned the ball over it was from their "sloppy play?" You just admitted that the mavs "forced turnovers" so that's a contradiction. The pistons had like 4 24 second shot clock violations in the fourth quarter. billups and rip were 12 outta 29 from the field. They didn't play well at all. Did th epistons play good "D" tonight? The mavs shot the same percentage against them as the pistons shot against them. All that matters is the final score. I can live with the pistons big men scoring 45 points if the pistons 2 leading scores don't even combine for 30. The point is the lakers gave up alot of points ot the pistons too. Why not talk about that? Cause it's not the mavs. And this thread is about dirk's offensive ability. not this other stuff you're taling about

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
4 shot clock violations in the 4th? Where do you get this stuff. That didn't happen.

The Pistons played good D in the sense that they didn't give up a lot of easy buckets. They only gave up 32 points in the paint, Dirk and Nash were just hitting all their jumpers.

Detroit scored 56 in the paint- no interior D, like I've been saying all along.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
4 shot clock violations in the 4th? Where do you get this stuff. That didn't happen.

The Pistons played good D in the sense that they didn't give up a lot of easy buckets. They only gave up 32 points in the paint, Dirk and Nash were just hitting all their jumpers.

Detroit scored 56 in the paint- no interior D, like I've been saying all along.

They did? since when is allowing a team to shoot 56 percent from the field good? You guys have twisted logic. You've backed yourself into a corner and you're too proud to admit that you're wrong. I meant in the game. I know they had 2 in a row and had alot of forced shots with the clock running down. The mavs have never scored alot in the paint. So let's not go there. It's funny how the pistons allowing 56 percent from the field is "good d in a sense" but the mavs do the same thing and win the game but it's "bad"

·
Skokie, IL 60076
17,170 Posts
merc you seem to be a delusional fan of the Mavericks that refuse to believe that there is any weakness to Dirk's game and when someone does you point to other players. A healthy discussion involves both strength and weaknesses of a team or player. All you are doing is boasting of the Mavericks and how great they are doing and that no one can stop Dirk. I'm not going to state your intentions on why you post such things nor am I going to speculate but the quality of these posts are low and serves no purpose than to get

Dirk has holes in his game but who doesn't. I agree that no one can stop Dirk. His defense is so bad that even Dirk can't stop himself. obviously i'm kidding. but the Pistons sporadically score over 100, maybe 2x a month. Mavericks do rely on solid offensive execution and they have plenty of weapons. If they play better D then there is no reason why they can't win 70 games. Dirk is getting better and if he takes this offseason to improve on that aspect then he can very well be the complete package.

but don't post about how good a player is without

1) asking a question to other posters.
2) asking for a comment

if you want to ensure a good discussion.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by <b>spongyfungy</b>!
merc you seem to be a delusional fan of the Mavericks that refuse to believe that there is any weakness to Dirk's game and when someone does you point to other players. A healthy discussion involves both strength and weaknesses of a team or player. All you are doing is boasting of the Mavericks and how great they are doing and that no one can stop Dirk. I'm not going to state your intentions on why you post such things nor am I going to speculate but the quality of these posts are low and serves no purpose than to get

Dirk has holes in his game but who doesn't. I agree that no one can stop Dirk. His defense is so bad that even Dirk can't stop himself. obviously i'm kidding. but the Pistons sporadically score over 100, maybe 2x a month. Mavericks do rely on solid offensive execution and they have plenty of weapons. If they play better D then there is no reason why they can't win 70 games. Dirk is getting better and if he takes this offseason to improve on that aspect then he can very well be the complete package.

but don't post about how good a player is without

1) asking a question to other posters.
2) asking for a comment

if you want to ensure a good discussion.
man I started a thread about dirk adding another offensive weapon to his arsenal. do you see me defending his defense? nope. But other guys are just as bad on defense and peeps on this board give them a pass cause they are fans of that team. No team in the nba this year would win 70 games the west is too deep. The lakers and kings aren't good defensive teams. yet peeps seem to forget that fact or never bring it up. At least the mavs REBOUND the ball. The lakers and kings aren't even in the top 10. How did this thread go from being about dirk's hook shot to this? LOL

So when lebron plays well and peeps praise him that's wrong? It's common knowledge that dirk's "D" isn't great. So why keep bringing it up? Why is it everytime the mavs do something well peeps can't bring up anything other than defense? Then when other teams play bad defensively there are excuses as to WHY THEY AREN'T A GOOD DEFENSIVE TEAM. It's a double standard

·
Registered
7,552 Posts

They did? since when is allowing a team to shoot 56 percent from the field good?
Outside of Dirk and Nash, the Mavs only shot 44%. Like I said, they didn't play bad D, Dirk and Nash were out of control.

And I DID notice during the game that Dirk had developed a hook. He even hit a couple nice lefties.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

Outside of Dirk and Nash, the Mavs only shot 44%. Like I said, they didn't play bad D, Dirk and Nash were out of control.

And I DID notice during the game that Dirk had developed a hook. He even hit a couple nice lefties.
\

so now you wanna take away how well certain mavs shot against the pistons to lower the FG PERCENTAGE? lol gee man I'll remember that the next time the mavs face shaq. :laugh:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by <b>catcher</b>!
He actually complimented dirk, which i think is what you were looking for. Im just happy they beat detroit.:)
yep and it only took 14 replies for him to compliment dirk once. :laugh:

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I've been saying he's been playing incredibly all night, you just see what you want to see.

I'm not knocking the Mavs AT ALL by saying the rest of the team shot 44%, I was SHOWING how important Dirk and Nash are to the team and how they are singlehandedly winning them games.

My whole point was that Dirk and Nash were indefensable tonight, meaning no matter what you did on D, they were hitting their shots.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've been saying he's been playing incredibly all night, you just see what you want to see.

I'm not knocking the Mavs AT ALL by saying the rest of the team shot 44%, I was SHOWING how important Dirk and Nash are to the team and how they are singlehandedly winning them games.

My whole point was that Dirk and Nash were indefensable tonight, meaning no matter what you did on D, they were hitting their shots.
and i'llmake sure i use this argument whenever you mention the mavs "defense" from now on :laugh:

·
Our Sentence Is Up
40,250 Posts
This thread had so much potential when I clicked on it. Hell even through the first post, I was like, ALRIGHTY...but then it just took a turn...

I like Dirk's offensive game. And I like watching him grab a rebound and start a fast break at 7 feet tall and then pull up and drain an unblockable 3. He's like a crazy out of control taller version of Tracy Mcgrady. I love it.

Adding a post game would solve a lot of problems for Dallas. Maybe he's the future answer at the 5 for them?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts