Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2388580

They did not agree about why Francis did not fly with the Rockets to Phoenix on Sunday, Francis' latest explanation, or whether his absence merited a one-game suspension.

"I don't think you ever (just move on)," Van Gundy said. "Look, we totally disagree. I don't think there is any doubt about that. He's not backing down on what he thinks, and I'm not backing down on what I think.

"I'm not trying to minimize what Steve and I went through. The critical thing is ... what he told me on the phone, he has said that was not correct. He was trying to not let on about the personal problems. We both acknowledge that what he told me is what he told me, but now he's saying it was something else.

Francis said he was so angry about the suspension that he was not sure what he said in his phone conversation. Van Gundy had called Francis from Phoenix on Sunday afternoon and said Francis told him that he was in the Reliant Stadium parking lot. Francis said Wednesday he was home when he and Van Gundy talked on the phone.

"It's just something that happened. I'm not looking to make anybody look bad."

Van Gundy was unconcerned about how he looked, even to Francis' teammates.

"I don't think," he said, "they question my honesty at all.

"You don't turn things like this into a positive. You make the best of the situation. There's nothing positive from having to suspend your best player. Through the meeting we had, it was a great chance to clear the air. Steve and I will be fine, and we'll have disagreements. I don't think there is any doubt he feels at times that maybe I'm a bit too stern."

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Man, JVG is one hard-*** little dude.

"I don't think you ever (just move on)," Van Gundy said.

I'm not saying at all that Van Gundy is totally wrong, but you'd think Stevie skipped practice to go kill Van Gundy's kids or something.

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by <b>Mikedc</b>!
Man, JVG is one hard-*** little dude.

"I don't think you ever (just move on)," Van Gundy said.

I'm not saying at all that Van Gundy is totally wrong, but you'd think Stevie skipped practice to go kill Van Gundy's kids or something.
That's true. Francis wasn't acting very professional when he just "ditched" the team for supposedly the Super Bowl. But it's not very professional of JVG to refuse to "move on" from just one incident like this either, especially if Francis apologised or something already.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
He's sending a message the team is run his way. You show up, you practice, you pass to Yao. Or you don't play.

-Petey

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Petey</b>!
He's sending a message the team is run his way. You show up, you practice, you pass to Yao. Or you don't play.

-Petey
Yep. The rest of the team sees this. Do you think they'll be missing any practices without a real valid excuse? I dont think so. Van Gundy is doing what he should be doing for a new coach trying to establish a system. Maybe if he had been with the Rockets for years and years and already had everything in place it would be different.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
The Rockets did have a system in place. Rudy is/was an excellent coach. Francis is just not used to the tighter rules.

-Petey

·
Registered
8,925 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Petey</b>!
The Rockets did have a system in place. Rudy is/was an excellent coach. Francis is just not used to the tighter rules.

-Petey
Rudys not the coach anymore, Van Gundy is. I agree Rudy was a very excellent coach, but his style/rules dont carry over and JVG has to establish his own. Thats what hes doing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts