Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My God, this guy is a tease! He had an incredible game against the Knicks and looked like a future All-Star and Hall of Famer. But the last 2 games he's been incredibly flat and has done next to nothing.

It's almost like 2 different personalities in the same player.

What really bothers me is that he was able to get all fired up against his cousin Stephon Marbury, but he can't find a reason to get as fired up against any other team. The kid has got to learn to give it the same effort every night. I want him to succed in the worst way, but my patience is starting to wear thin. I'm still rooting for him, of course, but I'm starting to get a little concerned, too.

I realize he's only 20 years old, but can't he at least give 100% every game?

·
Excentrifugal Forz
6,985 Posts
I wonder if Nate got on Telfair for caring to much about scoring? He mention players caring more about personal stats rather than team play.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Telfair may have good court vision and throw some nifty passes here and there, but his game is geared towards being a ball-dominating, score-first point guard, and if he'd gone to college that's the mold of PG he would have developed into.

But Nate is old school and IMO he wants his PG to be a set up man first, not a scorer. This leaves Telfair in a tough spot. Instead of getting the free reign he would have got in college, his natural developement of becoming a scorer is being hindered under Mcmillan's structured offense.

Can Nate mold Bass into the point guard he wants? With score-first points like Allen Iverson, Stephon Marbury, Steve Francis, and Damon Stoudamire it never really works.

That is why I think Jarrett Jack may eventually take Telfair's spot. Jack may not be better than Telfair at this point but with the tools JJ has, I can see him being more of the traditional PG Nate wants running his team. Not to mention, at three inches taller, Jack will almost surely end up being a better defender than Telfair, and we know how much Nate values defense.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I agree with Hap, it's ridiculous to start reading so much into a few games. That said, I personally haven't seen an issue with effort from Telfair. He's out there working, but guys aren't getting to their spots because they can't run sets efficiently. I don't think Bassy's ever going to suffer "Starbury" disease. Yeah, he can score, but on the whole he's pretty unselfish, and creative too. His defense is slowly improving to boot.

McMillan's looking for an efficient, controlled offense, rather than an "anything goes, throw a bunch of **** at the wall and see what sticks" Mo Cheeks approach. I think our biggest problem is that guys still haven't got the plays down pat. It's also a matter of trusting the system (wow, they actually have one now!), and because it's still new to everybody ('cept Rube) it's going to be awkward for a while. I'm giving it a season before I can make any conclusions about our pg's.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Nate and Payton got into it in Seattle if my memory serves me right.
Gary was very much a free lance player and Nate and he co-existed for quite some time. Gary became a better player IMO as well.

Telefair has more natural ability than Jack but Jack is more of the kind of player now that Nate probably wants. Telfair's defense is getting better evidenced by his fighting over screens very well with Marbury. He seems to be using his quick hands and feet better although as some say he is shorter than many PG's.

As evidenced by the short stretches in the first half in the Miami game when the team begins to buy into Nate's passing offense, Telfair will get better along with it. Same goes for the team. Passing as most know, spaces the floor better and gives seams to drive or opens up shots for all.

Also in the Miami game I think Telfair had a sprained wirst and just couldn't play very well.

gatorpops

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
My God, this guy is a tease! He had an incredible game against the Knicks and looked like a future All-Star and Hall of Famer. But the last 2 games he's been incredibly flat and has done next to nothing.
That was my point after the Knicks game. I root for the guy as much as anyone, but some of the praise he's gotten is premature because he's yet to actually outplay any of the competition. He doesn't have the consistency yet, just the tools. Until then, we have to expect a lot of downs to go along with the ups and probably a pretty average stat line overall.

Dan

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
whoa , there's that all-star and hall of fame (??????!!!!!!) talk again....

agreed about the game by game seesaw . miles has 2 games , he's the Punisher - since then never heard anyone call him, dixon has a good game - we finally have our sg! next game he is back to missing a few and everyone is on him again.

this whole board is living on kneejerk reactions atm , gonna make an awfully bumpy ride...

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Talkhard said:

It's almost like 2 different personalities in the same player.

What really bothers me is that he was able to get all fired up against his cousin Stephon Marbury, but he can't find a reason to get as fired up against any other team. The kid has got to learn to give it the same effort every night. I want him to succed in the worst way, but my patience is starting to wear thin. I'm still rooting for him, of course, but I'm starting to get a little concerned, too.

I realize he's only 20 years old, but can't he at least give 100% every game?
didn't he go down hard and have to get his wrist X-rayed at half time?
i'm pretty sure there wasn't 100% to give.

·
mere fan
6,553 Posts
BlayZa said:
whoa , there's that all-star and hall of fame (??????!!!!!!) talk again....

agreed about the game by game seesaw . miles has 2 games , he's the Punisher - since then never heard anyone call him, dixon has a good game - we finally have our sg! next game he is back to missing a few and everyone is on him again.

this whole board is living on kneejerk reactions atm , gonna make an awfully bumpy ride...
I guess it might seem that the whole board is a bit schitzo when the majority here have spoken their piece and are just sitting back watching things unfold. I think it's just a few of us who are all over the map starting threads on every possible subject after every other game that are making it seem that way.

I've certainly not built up much expectations for this year. To me this Blazer team is playing as expected... sporatically. They're young with some talent but unbalanced and without an established identity.

Expecting the bumps make them easier to absorb.

STOMP

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Here is the problem as I see it. Sebastien can score, and can pass, but Nate doesn't want the offense to focus on the point guard. The problem is, this team needs scoring and the younger players need to be able to figure out when they have the green light to score without looking over at the coach before a shot and go "Now coach?". Sebastien is the type of player that plays better when he is agressive, looking for his shot. I honestly think that when he scored 27 at NY that Nate reigned him in. Unfortunately, he reigned him in too much. Sebastien was looking apprehensive to shoot again last game, and that can only come from either team mates or Nate saying to not shoot so much. Unfortunately, when he gets that apprehensive, teams sag off him and double down on Zach and Miles, compounding the issue. So what we need to find is, some sort of happy medium. I believe that involves Sebastien shooting the ball with more regularity and with some plays being run for him. This give garbage collectors like Zach who love offensive rebounds, their chance to do their thing too. :clown:

·
Grumpy Pragmatist
3,410 Posts
One sure way to create failure, is to set unobtainable goals. (see Iraq: war in)

There is a need to keep expectations reasonable. For a young team/player (Telfair should be a college sophmore) inconsistency is unavoidable.

In other words, take a chill pill people! :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
DrewFix said:
didn't he go down hard and have to get his wrist X-rayed at half time?
i'm pretty sure there wasn't 100% to give.
Mike Rice mentioned before the Memphis game that Sebastian picked up a cold/flu after the NY game on Sunday and has been feeling misserable (can't sleep, head congestion, coughing) We tend to forget this guys aren't machines sometimes. Just like we have days when we're not 100% at work, so do they. I can't imagine having to play an NBA basketball game with a bad cold/flu. Even if he wasn't sick, I'm expecting an up/down season from him--It's his 2nd year out of high school!! However, I think that his extremely low output the last couple of games has a lot to do with this flu.

·
Banned
1,487 Posts
Telfair is not going to lead the Blazers anytime soon. I feel the Jack is the Blazers best PG. Nate McMillan also feels that way but can't start Jack because Nash is looking over his shoulder.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Oldmangrouch said:
One sure way to create failure, is to set unobtainable goals. (see Iraq: war in)
aint that the gods honest truth. It leads to scapegoating real quick. It's what's happening to Joel right now, and Sebastian. People are expecting him to be super great, because they're reminded (either by themselves or fans on here) of how other players are doing (mostly on their good games) and are being told over and over that so and so is doing good.

Take for example Deron Williams. He's averaging fewer points, shooting (much) worse, and yet people are still saying he'd be a better pick.

It doesn't matter that Deron and Chris Paul are getting more shots per game, and have a different system that calls for them to shoot more...

There is a need to keep expectations reasonable. For a young team/player (Telfair should be a college sophmore) inconsistency is unavoidable.

In other words, take a chill pill people! :biggrin:
amen. Anyone calling for Telfairs head now, is missing the boat.

kaydow said:
Mike Rice mentioned before the Memphis game that Sebastian picked up a cold/flu after the NY game on Sunday and has been feeling misserable (can't sleep, head congestion, coughing) We tend to forget this guys aren't machines sometimes. Just like we have days when we're not 100% at work, so do they. I can't imagine having to play an NBA basketball game with a bad cold/flu. Even if he wasn't sick, I'm expecting an up/down season from him--It's his 2nd year out of high school!! However, I think that his extremely low output the last couple of games has a lot to do with this flu.
you're crazy. Michael Jordan won an NBA title with an open bullet wound! If Telfair can't play with a cold, he's obviously wimping out and not near the PG that Jack is!!!!!!

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Zidane said:
Mj go shot and played through with a wound?I never heard it on the news or anything.
He also once got a double-triple. Points and turnovers.

No, sorry, that was Kobe.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mj go shot and played through with a wound?
I think that was a joke.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Hap said:
aint .
you're crazy. Michael Jordan won an NBA title with an open bullet wound! If Telfair can't play with a cold, he's obviously wimping out and not near the PG that Jack is!!!!!!
I knew somebody was gonna bring that up . . . Damn it!!!

1) It was the NBA finals.
2) How many guys have ever done anything like what MJ did? IV at half-tme, half dead, and hits for 36? That was redic.
3) I doesn't sound like ST has been dealing with a common head cold. It's more flu-like and energy zapping. You ever called in sick from work?

This poor guy. An announcer mentions he's got the flu, and guys are calling him a wimp because he didn't play well. Telfair didn't make any excuses--it was M. Rice!

I don't think we have to choose between Telfair & Jack AT THIS POINT. They both bring different things to our line-up right now. It's nice to have them both for what they do. Maybe someday we have to decide who are PG is, it's not going to be this year. I like what I've seen from both of them so far.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
kaydow said:
I knew somebody was gonna bring that up . . . Damn it!!!

1) It was the NBA finals.
2) How many guys have ever done anything like what MJ did? IV at half-tme, half dead, and hits for 36? That was redic.
3) I doesn't sound like ST has been dealing with a common head cold. It's more flu-like and energy zapping. You ever called in sick from work?

This poor guy. An announcer mentions he's got the flu, and guys are calling him a wimp because he didn't play well. Telfair didn't make any excuses--it was M. Rice!

I don't think we have to choose between Telfair & Jack AT THIS POINT. They both bring different things to our line-up right now. It's nice to have them both for what they do. Maybe someday we have to decide who are PG is, it's not going to be this year. I like what I've seen from both of them so far.
I'm not sure if it's me missing you joking, or you missing me joking...or you reffering to others who actually called him a wimp.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts