Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been posting my CD recommendations for more than a week now, and I thought I'd start this thread to get some feedback.

Any comments on the material I've selected for recommendation?

I sure would like to start getting some feedback...Anything you like? don't like? Anything that sounds like something you'd like to check out?

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
I don't have much to comment on any of the specific albums, but I would like to take time to appreciate the work and time that you put into each review. While it may not look like it by the lack of feedback, I and I'm sure many others take great pleasure in checking up on what exactly ol' TB#1 is reviewing for the day. It always interesting to get another person opinion on an album, and some of your reviews have actually prompted me to get out that very CD and pop it in. All in all, the reviews are all well written and informative, and I look forward to the newest one each day. Great job.

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
I just picked up Love's Forever Changes yesterday since you and cafeteriabananas mentioned in the same week.

Wow! It's hard to find a better flowing album, and it's length is perfect too. Not a weak track on it, and I've listened to it at least a dozen times so far.

My favorites are: (they're actually the least "psychadelic" ones now that I think of it)

A house is not a motel
Maybe the people........
The Good Humor man........

and the bonus track Wonder People

I still haven't heard Da Capo yet, but I'll look for it. What else would you recommend in that genre?

·
Me lose brain? Uh oh!
5,702 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Electric Slim</b>!
I just picked up Love's Forever Changes yesterday since you and cafeteriabananas mentioned in the same week.

Wow! It's hard to find a better flowing album, and it's length is perfect too. Not a weak track on it, and I've listened to it at least a dozen times so far.

agreed strongly. Fantastic and criminally overlooked album. Alone Again Or is one of my favorite songs by anyone, ever, and certainly one of the best opening tracks ever put to tape. But the whole thing is excellent.

I wanted to comment on Meddle. For a long time that was my favorite Floyd album, partly out of need to have a different "favorite" from my friends, who all naturally chose Dark Side, or in a couple cases, The Wall. While I think Animals has overtaken it as my favorite in the last few years, I still find Meddle to be a brilliant album and endlessly engaging listen. Fearless is definitely in my top 5 favorite Floyd songs. Maybe top 3. As you discussed in your review, it's a perfect synthesis of Gilmour's sensibilities and Waters's (and Floyd at large's) progressive and atmospheric leanings.

Liked the Clash discussion too. It took me a while to really get into the Clash, but London Calling is a fairly consistent member of the "heavy rotation club" in my various CD players. Train in Vain might be THE best closer I've heard, other than perhaps "A Day in the Life". High praise.

·
Me lose brain? Uh oh!
5,702 Posts
TB#1, I like the Yardbirds review. They get lost in the mix sometimes and are often only remembered because of their prestigious alumni, not the quality of their output. What do you think of their BBC sessions CD? It has smoking versions of Train Kept Rollin, Smokestack Lightning, Little Games, and a variety of others.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
Referring to JBMD....Freedom Rider has always been a favorite of mine.I think one of the most striking things about the song is Jim Capaldi's relentlessly driving beat,and Winwood's piano dissonance at the end gives me chills.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
I've always considered "Strange Days" and "Morrison Hotel" to be the two best Doors albums.The reason for both are Robbie Krieger's dominance in them. When Jim Morrison said that Robbie Krieger was the most underrated guitarist in rock he wasn't just having his bandmate's back,he was right.Of all the Doors albums this showcased that the best on "Strange Days",be it the suttlety of "You're Lost Little Girl",the interpritations on "Moonlight Drive" or showcasing that he can rock as heavy as anyone on "When the Music's Over". This is the album before fame and excesses started to get to Jim Morrison and it shows,the next two ("Waiting for the Sun"and "The Soft Parade") were mediocre by comparison.

·
Nobody
6,373 Posts
Liquid Soul

Liquid Soul is awesome. I recommend their album Make Some Noise. I don't have much to say about it but I love the energy of their music and the mixture of styles. The music just grooves. I'd love to see them live sometime. They must be a great show.

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Liquid Soul is an awsome band. Our Jazz band @ school made an arrangement of It Don't Mean A Thing, If It Ain't Got That Swing in a super swanky funk-a-delic style a la Liquid Soul (no DJ though). I was ripping a funky bass line for that one the entire time. It was a really cool arrangement that our music director does with his band called Jazzmosis, who is touring in Europe right now, which is cool. I wish I had a copy of our recording of it. I don't have any Liquid Soul CDs but I will probably pick some up when I get the chance.

·
36,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got a PM from Zach about my Zeppelin review.

In the review, I said:

Stairway: 'Nuff said.

but I've been asked to comment further on the song. So here goes.

I actually remember the first time I heard Stairway. I was blown away. It was like it was every great rock song ever written condensed into a single track. I could listen to it over and over. To this day, I can play that song back in my head, note for note. Every word, every riff. Every solo. Every drumbeat. I can play it note for note on my guitar.

But overfamiliarity is a bit of a problem. I don't look forward to hearing it anymore. The No Stairway rule from Wayne's World was so funny because it is so true.

Several years ago, Monty Python alumn Michael Pailin did tv commercials for my favorite radio station, WXRT in Chicago. His point was that WXRT did not play a bunch of tired out songs that were played to death. He held up a pizza, with the toppings dripping off and claimed "I think this record used to be Stairway to Heaven."

Stairway is an important song and is a great song and is an influential song. And it deserves its legendary status and reputation. But at the same time, it is a song that is a victim of its importance and greatness and influence.

And, of course, as great a song as it is, it lacks cowbell.

·
36,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by <b>Yyzlin</b>!
Great job, TB, on the Zeppelin studio albums summary. It provided some great retrospective on their illustrious and trend setting career even if I don't necessarily agree with all the song opinions, :D. Keep up the good work.
Do tell. Where do we disagree?

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Originally posted by <b>TomBoerwinkle#1</b>!

Do tell. Where do we disagree?
Ah, it's nothing. Mainly just Immigrant Song, which you said wasn't one of your favorites, and it just happens to rank as a personal fave of mine. The first time I heard the "OOOOHHHHHHH AHHHH OOHHHHHHHHH OH" sent chills up my spine.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Hey, I've been listening entirely to The Clash for the past 7 days, mostly because of your review. I really liked your song choices.

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Hey Tom,

I just made it through your reviews. Awesome stuff.

I was at that Chicago Blues Fest where Keith joined Chuck Berry. That was awesome. I think I was a HS Senior or College freshman so it must have been a long time ago.

the Mats - Unsatisfied is one of my all-time favorite tunes. For a while I think that I should come up with some Satisfied/Unsatisfied mix disk, of course the Rolling Stones Satisfaction would be on that list. Also, Crackers first self titled album has a fantastic tune, Satisfy You, that really rocks. Great lyrics. That album also features Teen Angst which is hard to beat.

Looks like you are more into Jazz than I, but Lee Morgan's Sidewinder is one of the best (old) albums that I have heard this year. I don't live in Chicago anymore but seeing Kurt Elling at the Green Mill is a must for any jazz fans that likes vocalists.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts