Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I want to recommend Avril Lavigne's new cd "Under my Skin"

Don't be me wrong, I have no other Avril CD's besides this, but I think this one is a quality CD with a lot of good songs. Its not just her whaling away, there is a combination of pop music, soft music, sad music, happy music, and story telling music as well.

Here is the list of songs on the CD.

1. Take Me Away: Very good song, however I like the gitar version on AOL much better, on this one her voice does not pick up well, but overall its a good song. Overall the song is a 7 or a 8, if it was the version without the metal gitar it is easily a 9 or a 10.

2. Together: This is probably the weakest song on the CD, not get lyrics and I just don't get the vibe of it. Overall I would say its a 5 or a 4

3. Don't Tell Me: I absolutely love this song, it has heart and passion and it just sings to me. I would say this is a 10 or a 9 easy.

4. He Wasn't: This song has a nice pace to it, ok lyrics and it a solid song on the cd, again the version of it I have seen better, I think the load background music takes away from her voice, but I would say its a 7 or a 6.

5. How Does It Feel: I really like this song, its a sad song but her voice really sounds good in it and it has deep feeling as well, say a 9 or a 10.

6. My Happy Ending: I really like this song also, even though I have over listened to it, its a quality song, nice speed and her voice is strong is this one, I give it a 8 or a 9.

7. Nobody's Home: Its a solid song, not the best version of it though, the lyrics are great and the story is captivating but overall I give it a 6 or a 7.

8. Forgotten: One of the weaker songs of the CD, its ok but nothing special, one of the two that I don't like on the CD, I give it a 4 or a 5.

9. Who Knows: I really enjoy this song, great tempo and beat, her voice really takes thing one and runs with it, easily its a 9 or a 10.

10. Fall to Pieces: Another solid song, very fun to listen to, nice pace and tell a good story, I give it a 7 or a 8.

11. Freak Out: One of the few songs that are more metal, and its not all bad, some good solos in this song, her voice is more aggressive and its a solid song, I give it a 7 or a 8.

12. Slipped Away: A good last song on the CD, its a quiet sad song, her voice is great in it and its a good rap up to the CD, I give it a 8 or a 9.

I know Avril is not the most masculine of choices for CD's, but if you like songs that sound like they are from the heart, have feeling and are sung beautifully, you should get this CD.

You can listen to parts of the songs here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0001UL7RY/104-4283359-6017549?v=glance#product-details

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
hey Tom, I just saw this thread and the accompanying reviews. I can add some input on jazz recommendations, although my library isn't nearly as complete as I wish it was.

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Dumpy said:
hey Tom, I just saw this thread and the accompanying reviews. I can add some input on jazz recommendations, although my library isn't nearly as complete as I wish it was.
Cool. I love jazz myself, and would love to discuss albums I know and learn about albums I don't.

I had really hoped to get a great music dialogue going on my personal forum, with my reviews, and so forth, but at the time, my music related friends were kind of inactive, and it sort of died out.

Perhaps we can get things rolling again.

Thanks, Dumpy.

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
I'll do my best . . . I posted a recommendation in the other thread. The BMG Music Club has many classic jazz albums available--say, maybe as many as 75 or 100 of the widely recognized top 200 most essential jazz albums. That's a gerat place to build a collection.

·
36,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I have a collection that is better than the average bear, but nowhere near as complete as I'd like.

I liked the Jarrett review. That album is on my want list.

I have some KJ on a few compilation lists and certainly like what I heard. As you may have surmised, improvisational music is definitely up my alley.

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
I just popped over to the all music guide site on a whim, and was completely shocked--I've never, ever, read a review like that on their site before. Improvisational music can be hard to listen to at times when the musicians think that they have to play "free" and discordant. Like Ornette and Cecil Taylor. But Jarrett, though, is something else. He comes up with some really incredible melodies off the top of his head (allegedly). And, he completely blurs the distinction between different genres. What is the blues? What is jazz? What is gospel? What is classical music? He manages to combine it all into just . . . music. And it is all good. What he plays can't be classified as one type of music or another--one style just flows seemlessly into another. Basically, he's managed to create his own genre.

For some reason, I find that if I'm trying to do something creative, listening to his music makes me more creative--somehow it allows me to tap into my creative side. I can't say that about anything else I've ever listened to. Weird, huh?

·
36,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Poignent observation.

What you describe is, to me, the gestalt of improvisation at its finest.

If the improvisor(s) can truly let himself (or the ultimate expression, true improv in a group setting, themselves) go, find "the muse" and just reach that unconsious flow, AND find beauty there -- something free, that remains pleasing to the ear -- there is nothing better. At somelevel, it confirms in the mind order and structure in the universe, rather than chaos and discord.

Since music is a language of mathmetics, it makes sense to me that a true symbiosis of music and the musician should produce order.

Its a tough task, and probably one that is truly achieved by improvosational musicians a small fraction of the time. To me, its worth sifting through the debris to find that One Perfect Moment.

Hope that doesn't sound too much like patchoulli-soaked mysticism, but that is the ultimate pleasure to me as a fan of music.

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
It sounds a lot like what Jarrett has said he is trying to achieve, as a matter of fact.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts