Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Originally posted by linus#1
I would have to say that DMX is better...but I really don't like either...they're both bitin' off 'Pac.
Maybe Ja is, but DMX has his own thing going. He isn't bitin anything off Pac.

·
Jesus Shuttlesworth
17,071 Posts
JA..

I am the bigget Ja Rule fan I know!!!!!!!!!!! Besides dude, he was paying tribut to Pac!

·
Premium Member
6,937 Posts
DMX

But I guess I'm showing my age when I say no one compares to Rakim, Chuck D, KRS One, Ice Cube, hell, most of the major MC's from 1985-92.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Originally posted by naesdj
DMX

But I guess I'm showing my age when I say no one compares to Rakim, Chuck D, KRS One, Ice Cube, hell, most of the major MC's from 1985-92.
Yep,, you sure are. There is a whole new world of MC's and lyricist that could not even be imaged back in that time. Sure they were the pioneers, but saying no-one compares is kind of far fetched and only someone who hasn't taken the time to listen to the newer rap from now to maybe 3-5 years ago would say that.

I like some of that older stuff, but there are so many new lyrists that blow my mind with there flow.

Saying Ja Rule is pop is ridiculous, maybe if you listen to his radio singles. But if you pick up an album and take the time to listen, he has some real good tracks. He does have alot of Pac influence in his music though.

·
Jersey Girl
10,482 Posts
Originally posted by raptors32

Yep,, you sure are. There is a whole new world of MC's and lyricist that could not even be imaged back in that time. Sure they were the pioneers, but saying no-one compares is kind of far fetched and only someone who hasn't taken the time to listen to the newer rap from now to maybe 3-5 years ago would say that.

I like some of that older stuff, but there are so many new lyrists that blow my mind with there flow.

Saying Ja Rule is pop is ridiculous, maybe if you listen to his radio singles. But if you pick up an album and take the time to listen, he has some real good tracks. He does have alot of Pac influence in his music though.
yeah, but naesdj does have a point about no one comparing to old school mcs. many rap artists today (not all of them though) are becoming too commercial and even the thug image is becoming too commercial. some rap artists make me question the future of rap (but luckily, no one has really mentioned most of these artists names, so i'll stay away from naming names). back in the day, rap wasn't about money, hoes, clothes, and bling bling. now, that's the main things that i hear about on the radio.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Ja Rule is fake. He is like a pop singer. Honestly he could sound good with Britney Spears. He used to be pretty good back before he got into all the pop stuff. Even before 3:36....

DMX I don't like either. He is takin his music into a different direction. I mean it's still good but I just think he's trying too hard.

For some reason I am really after Nappy roots...i call po'folks my chillin barebeque song.....:D

·
Registered
405 Posts
Originally posted by BizzyRipsta

yeah, but naesdj does have a point about no one comparing to old school mcs. many rap artists today (not all of them though) are becoming too commercial and even the thug image is becoming too commercial. some rap artists make me question the future of rap (but luckily, no one has really mentioned most of these artists names, so i'll stay away from naming names). back in the day, rap wasn't about money, hoes, clothes, and bling bling. now, that's the main things that i hear about on the radio.
Its changing form, the lyrics and beats are coming to the forefront instead of message. There rapping about what they see and what they do. If your slanging or rapping its the same thing, you make some money your going to buy some nice things. I know because I've been there.

There are many that take it way too far, cash money, jd, just a few.

If you want the same thing out of your music that you got when you were listening in the 80's early 90's check out Nappy Roots, Dead prez, black eyed peas, and a few others I can't think of right now,lol. They have your message without the image.

If your like me you like to listen to flow and lyrics I usually check out Nas, fabolous, luda, outkast, em, and many more.

One last thing if you wanna check out some good rap, turn off your radio.Lol. They can make anyone sound pop.

·
Jersey Girl
10,482 Posts
so true...i'd much rather listen to my cds than listen to the radio. and when i said the whole "money, clothes, hoes, and bling bling" thing, i particularly had cash money and master p in mind. i would much rather listen to people like bone thugs (you guys probably know that already). they're real to me. not that i don't listen to other rappers. i listen to a broad range of rap artists (nas, ja rule, redman, dmx, eminem, wu tang, bone...you name them, i bet i have their cd), but it's the image that rap is taking on that's bothering me. beats are cool. i love any song produced by the neptunes. i appreciate good lyrics too. i guess it's the whole flossin thing that gets to me because it's our money that's making them rich and they rub it in our faces. well, and i also don't like the whole "how many half-naked women can we get in our videos" thing.

and anyway, rap used to be more of an artform and more of a "we rap because we love to" thing.

·
Premium Member
6,937 Posts
Of course there are many great MC's out there today that weren't around a few years ago. I guess with my age comes a bit of nostalgia, like when you see older guys listening to Classic Rock. I'm an older guy who listens to Classic Hip Hop. You have to remember that for some of us, this style was something new that we sought after and searched for and found in really bad dubs of mix tapes from all over the US. It wasn't just something that we happened to hear just by turning on the radio. You had to FIND it. It took a long time for the mainstream to embrace it. Sometimes I wish it hadn't.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Originally posted by untitled

For some reason I am really after Nappy roots...i call po'folks my chillin barebeque song.....:D
Yeah good tune, I also like dime,quater,nickel,penny, and ballin on a budget. They've got alot of good tunes, and its refreshing music to listen too.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Originally posted by naesdj
You had to FIND it. It took a long time for the mainstream to embrace it. Sometimes I wish it hadn't.
Finding it has a new meaning. Obviously keeping a good thing underground forever just wouldn't happen. Most artists are going to have their mainstream hits, atleast if they want to make a career that they can live off and drop whatever hustle they had going before.

The new meaning, forget the radio and pick up an album of one of these artists that seem to most as not being Hard. I hated Outkast until I picked up Atliens and Aquemini. Aquemini is one of my favorite albums. I listened to the lyrics and could understand their story for one second. I hated them after that Rosa Parks song, just like alot people I thought to myself two good albums then they sell out. I then found Aquemini, by accident. Got into it and go into the lyrics and now I understand why their was some much underground hype for a group cracking the mainstream.

They're for real regardless of of those non-listeners who've only heard what the radio has to offer. So I guess naesdj has a point old or new, you have to find the true artists and go listen to alot of crap to get what you want.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
DMX(gggrrrrhhhhh)

I ABOSLUTELY HATE EAST COAST MUSIC(except DMX) don't ask me why but his beats and just his enthusiasm towards his music really get me hype. He is also a business man nowadays people aren't as thuged-out as they may seem think about Master P you never hear him say we murder him or her or anything like that they just call themselves soldiers becuase they are part of the rap wars(its all about marketing and advertisement). Almost everybody in the game talks about women,$, and drugs so forth and so on. Half probably aint never murdered no on and of course they got lots of money and hello almost all of them do the green. But Ja is a Mary J Blige with a you know what!!! He is like a pop singer. He need to get back to rappin and come up with something thugged out.

DMX and my old school cat Snoop are the best in the game!!
(master P and Eminem are close)

·
Registered
471 Posts
JA and D both suck...

Are there any underground heads in this piece?

Forgive me for sounding like a backpacker but does anyone like J-Zone, El-P, Mr. Lif, 7L/Esoteric, Dan the Automator, Lexicon, Visionaries?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Originally posted by p
Forgive me for sounding like a backpacker but does anyone like J-Zone, El-P, Mr. Lif, 7L/Esoteric, Dan the Automator, Lexicon, Visionaries?
Nope, never heard of them. Where are they from, your town?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts