Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
November 16, 2005 -- Lamond Murray has been here before: on a team waiting for a chance. But that doesn't make the waiting any easier for the veteran who was brought in for depth on the Nets' bench. Murray sounds terribly frustrated.

"You start questioning yourself. You [say], 'It must be me.' Going from place to place, with three different coaches and they do the same exact thing to you. You just don't know what it is so it's got to be me, something I'm doing," said Murray, who didn't play last night for the third time in eight games.

"I'm here to play and help the team out. But they must feel they don't need me or I can't contribute, and that's not something I can change."

In eight games, Murray, 32, never left the bench in three, played a 27 seconds in another, three minutes in a third. His longest run was 15 minutes — but it came in garbage time at Indiana.
Link

Should had put up a pool to take wagers on when this would have had happened! LOL

-Petey

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Aww, I feel sorry for him. Seems like there are a lot of people who aren't playing, but we're not far into the season yet. Hopefully he'll get his chance, just like Padgett.

·
Registered
7,119 Posts
he's on the team for when injuries take their toll--just like Padgett. He'll get his chance. Frank's concern is how to juggle minutes when everyone is healthy, so players like Murray can be ready to go and effective when their name is called.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Dumpy said:
he's on the team for when injuries take their toll--just like Padgett. He'll get his chance. Frank's concern is how to juggle minutes when everyone is healthy, so players like Murray can be ready to go and effective when their name is called.
correct...it's early in the season and everyone is relatively healthy (except twin)...though I wish everyone will continue to stay healthy, its an 80+ game season. last season we had players at the end of the bench getting heavy minutes. he probably thought he would come off the bench to give vince or rj some rest. but because of zoran's development and his own complete lack of defense and intensity, he never got the chance. he's been in the league long enough to know nobody will hand anything to you...he's got to be ready and bring it every game. if he shoots 42% from the arc like last season and throw his weight around the paint when he is called upon then why wouldn't larry use him to give vince or rj a few more minutes of rest? as it stands, rj is playing 40 mins a game and larry probably wants to bring that down to around 35.

·
Registered
8,452 Posts
"You start questioning yourself. You [say], 'It must be me.' Going from place to place, with three different coaches and they do the same exact thing to you. You just don't know what it is so it's got to be me, something I'm doing," said Murray
Must be. Try playing defense and hustling and you will be in.

"I'm here to play and help the team out. But they must feel they don't need me or I can't contribute, and that's not something I can change."
This team is obviously dying for help off the bench and he thinks they don't need him? That's not something he can change? Play harder. Play some defense you stupid ***!

·
Registered
5,657 Posts
BigThree said:
Aww, I feel sorry for him. Seems like there are a lot of people who aren't playing, but we're not far into the season yet. Hopefully he'll get his chance, just like Padgett.
but when rj's playing 40+ min per game you don't get much pt! Expecially when scott p is droppin 13, 9 on the other team!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Pagett get his PT, because when he comes into the game he makes his presence known. He hustles play D and makes the most out of his time. I know its only been 8 games but the only thing I remember Murray doing was taking away the rebound from RJ stopping his triple double. I think LF would love to limit RJ's minutes but Murray has to show he wants them. Thru Hustle and D. I hope he does. :cheers:

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Lamond Murray has been unimpressive so far to me this season. Scott Padget, Marc Jackson, Zoran Planinic, and Jeff Mcinis has all earned their spots off the bench. Hopefully Cliff Robinson can start playing well soon too.

·
Nets Fan
10,426 Posts
Hes a 3pt threat and he should be on in those many circumstances when we need a 3pt shooter, nothing else.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
jirohkanzaki said:
correct...it's early in the season and everyone is relatively healthy (except twin)...though I wish everyone will continue to stay healthy, its an 80+ game season. last season we had players at the end of the bench getting heavy minutes. he probably thought he would come off the bench to give vince or rj some rest. but because of zoran's development and his own complete lack of defense and intensity, he never got the chance. he's been in the league long enough to know nobody will hand anything to you...he's got to be ready and bring it every game. if he shoots 42% from the arc like last season and throw his weight around the paint when he is called upon then why wouldn't larry use him to give vince or rj a few more minutes of rest? as it stands, rj is playing 40 mins a game and larry probably wants to bring that down to around 35.
Uh, who is Larry? I hope your not getting confused with the Knicks.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I'm just amazed that it took him 3 coaches before the notion even crept into his head that it might be him. That's hilarious. Wouldn't riding the pine for just one make ya think you need to work harder? It's a little late in the game to think Murray's gonna turn into any kind of hustler or defender but here's to hoping he does.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Murray is in a case of 'show me something.' Show what you can do then get time in. Otherwise sit down, Scott Padgett showed what he can do, and he might get more play. Until he can be relied on then I dont see why he's *****in.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Petey said:
Link

Should had put up a pool to take wagers on when this would have had happened! LOL

-Petey
I don't think it's that big of a deal...of course he wants to play rather than sitting on the bench. He's just saying the obvious, at least he isn't complaining about it and bringing down the team. I'm sure Linton Johnson and Antoine Wright feel left out too.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Maybe Murray should get his head in a game, and no I don't mean hit the ball with his head like he did when we played Toranto.

He's been awful, what does he expect?

·
Registered
525 Posts
I think we all could have seen this coming. All he has to do is work his tail of in practice and really show in games that we are completly out of or games that we're way in front. As for Padgett, I think he's really found a spot in the rotation, hopefully above Robinson. For teams with really tough defensive frontcourts (Wallace boys, Yao and Swift, Mourning :biggrin: )I would like to see Frank put in Padgett and Robinson in to really spread the defense.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts