Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And if so .. would they accept Fizer and Blount ?

Curry
Chandler
Patterson
Crawford
Hinrich

bench

Davis
Williams
Robinson
Dupree
Gill
Brunson

Acquiring Patterson makes for a fairly strong defensive nucleus of Chandler, Patterson and Hinrich in the starting 5 to cover for Curry and Crawford

Then that's backed up by Davis, Williams, Dupree and Gill.. all capable defenders

Target Wes Person or Bob Sura in free agency ... use the draft pick to secure the best 2 guard available

So .. who would go for Rubes if expiring contracts could net him

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
They have been trying to trade him away for a while. No one has even come close, why would you trade expiring for him? Why not offer Robinson for say Patterson filler? I have read several times in this forum where you (fans) have been all down on Robinson.

-Petey

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I'm not too thrilled about acquiring a convicted sex offender even though he is a great defender and comes at the price of nothing. Not that I'm trying to come across as the holier than thou type, and yes I know not all our athletes are wonderful law abiding citizens, but I just feel it's necessary to draw the line somewhere. A quick list of Patterson's transgressions:

November 2002 - Arrested for felony domestic assault
2001 - Plead Guilty to attempted rape of his 24 year old nanny
February 2001 - Convicted of misdemeanor assault for attacking a man in which he allegedly broke his jaw

And Patterson also got his eye bone broken last year in a fight with Zach Randolph.

Of course the argument that will ensue will be the double standard that exists for Kobe Bryant, but let's remember that Kobe has yet to be convicted and US law operates by a notion of innocent until proven guilty. Also, without discussing the trial too much, there are many reports that makes it appear as if Kobe's guilt is far from a sure thing.

·
Registered
31,975 Posts
Originally posted by <b>sp00k</b>!
2001 - Plead Guilty to attempted rape of his 24 year old nanny
http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2001/0510/1194759.html

Defense attorney John Wolfe has said Patterson would enter a modified guilty plea.

Patterson is accused of attempting to rape the family's nanny in September at the family home in Bellevue.

Wolfe has said Patterson plans to enter an Alford plea, in which a defendant does not admit guilt but agrees there may be sufficient evidence for a jury to convict him.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
i love pattersons effort and hustle and i love the way he brings hustle off of portlands bench but i seriously cant cheer for the guy.

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Hey if my team would trade our huge waste of contracts, say Zo and this years pick, I'd take on Patterson and happily root for him. I realize what he did but he doesn't do it daily, nor has he done it again. I beleive guys deserve a 2nd chance.

-Petey

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Petey</b>!
Hey if my team would trade our huge waste of contracts, say Zo and this years pick, I'd take on Patterson and happily root for him. I realize what he did but he doesn't do it daily, nor has he done it again. I beleive guys deserve a 2nd chance.

-Petey
I don't disagree with the idea of a second chance either, it's just once you start talking about 4th and 5th chances where I begin to think maybe he's just a bad person. But it's funny that as a Nets fan you would be willing to take on Patterson. How are Nets fans reacting to the whole Eddie Griffin ordeal?

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Originally posted by <b>sp00k</b>!
I don't disagree with the idea of a second chance either, it's just once you start talking about 4th and 5th chances where I begin to think maybe he's just a bad person. But it's funny that as a Nets fan you would be willing to take on Patterson. How are Nets fans reacting to the whole Eddie Griffin ordeal?
I don't think Patterson is on his 4th or 5th chance. Where is his 2nd?

You can take a look in the Nets forum. Alot of fans understand the NBA/Nets is not what he needs now in his life. He was signed to a min contract, it was understood what he may or may not have brought to the team.

-Petey

·
Registered
17,149 Posts

-Petey
He doesn't do it daily!?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Jason Kidd whooped his missus

Allen Iverson threatens his cuz and his wife with a pistol

Penny Hardaway threatens his woman with a gun

Glen Robertson whooped his woman

Sam Cassell and Gary Payton throw unwanted attentions on a stripper in Nudie Bar and then whoop her male friend when he tried to intercede

Kobe? Uh huh innocent until proven guilty.. but with public opinion overwhelmingly in tune with the notion that he was set up .. well because he's Kobe and secretly we appreciate the soap opera and the drama in otherwise dull and pathetic lives .. but please don't take our Kobe away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kobe must have been set up ... mustn't he

But Rubes doesn't have a pot to piss in to the same level as these other NBA notables who we are so quick to forgive and re-embrace.. not the same glitz and marketing currency .. nowhere near the same level of chutzpah... so we condemn him ignorantly without knowing or even being sure of the facts. We do know a plea was entered into without admission of guilt per se

Here is how we see Rube

1. He raped his Nanny . ( Debateable )
2. He broke a guy's jaw in a fight ( Have none of you ever been involved in a physical altercation ? )
3. And he bruised Puzzy Zach's hand with his eye socket when two other Portland players held him . ( Yeah poor Fat Zach . Props buddy .. we love ya dawg cuz you got it all going on with QWoo in your Jon and Ponch routine and the ESPN/SLAM Media Mafia loves you good guy bad boyz )

Give yourselves an uppercut ( or better yet get Rubes to give you one ) you sanctimonios hypocrites

If your going to grant moral impunity .. be consistent

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
They have been trying to trade him away for a while. No one has even come close, why would you trade expiring for him? Why not offer Robinson for say Patterson filler? I have read several times in this forum where you (fans) have been all down on Robinson.

-Petey
And I wouldn't do ERob necessarily as I would prefer to keep him unless he could be used as filler with one of the C-Unit to grab a star

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Mikedc</b>!

He doesn't do it daily!?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Was in reference to raping his baby sitter. It was a 1 time incident.

-Petey

·
Banned
58,028 Posts
Originally posted by <b>F.Jerzy</b>!
And I wouldn't do ERob necessarily as I would prefer to keep him unless he could be used as filler with one of the C-Unit to grab a star
Why not trim back the payroll by keeping Fizer and trading Robinson? Has Robinson had a potential suitor?

And if it's filler, a signed MLE player this year could be used with one of Curry, Chandler, and Crawford to get a max player.

-Petey

·
Registered
2,160 Posts

Was in reference to raping his baby sitter. It was a 1 time incident.

-Petey
I think allegedly raping his baby sitter is the fair way of putting it if you are afford someone the same degree of innocent until proven guilty rah rah that gets heaped on Kobe

·
Registered
2,160 Posts

Why not trim back the payroll by keeping Fizer and trading Robinson? Has Robinson had a potential suitor?
Why ?

Because we are not going to be a player in free agency for a good while anyway and we are in no danger of transgressing a luxury tax

For these reasons and also for the fact that I think Eddie Robinson can be a worthwhile basketball player in the right situations is why I would prefer to retain him for now

In addition to which , ERob is in the last year of his deal next year and earns close to $7M . So he will provide cap relief to another team by next season's deadline . This factor combined with a $4M cost of Curry or a Chandler gives you the ammo in the $11M to $13M max market to get your stud closer .. if that is what we want to do at that time

The MLE + one of these two only gets you to $8.5M -$10M

Plus if we're acquiring a free agent at the MLE over the summer it will be on the premise that they can help this team in how its is emerging ( if it emerges I should say ) rather than the Krausian roll the dice adn throw enough crap at the wall and hope it sticks ( which it didn't - see Miller, Mercer, Ollie , Marshall )

So the premise will be ( or should be ) that stability is the key and what we are looking at in who is existing and who may go via trade .. is akin to a weeding exercise

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Ruben Patterson?

Don't want "The Grim Raper" on this team.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts