Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1708761

The Knicks released Chaney and have hired Lenny Wilkens as their head coach. Should the Blazers wave goodbye to Cheeks and test the waters with Mike Fratello? Of course, it might take some convincing to get him here, but it's worth a shot, right?

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Fratello??

why in the world would we even bother thinking about Fratello, let alone hiring him?

He's a horrible coach, who's teams never go anywhere.

I'd rather let the Blazers get some new guys, and give Mo another year.

No ones going to make this team, this year, any better than Mo can.

No even the great Phil Jackson could win a title with just Kobe Bryant and a bunch of scrubs that the Lakers currently have. (w/out Malone, Shaq and Payton).

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Yeah, I'd rather see Mo finish the year than have Mike F. come in.

Lenny Wilkens as a Blazer coach again might have been cool though.

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
Mo's a decent, if unspectacular, coach when his heart is in it...

...but the dude already needs a vacation from this team in the worst way. I swear, he looks older every time I see him.

PBF

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
The question is....

Why did we not go after Wilkens???

·
Registered
731 Posts
We don't want EITHER Fratello or Wilkens.. Wilkens.. the losing-est coach in NBA history... Fratello.. no one has given him a job for a long time.. that leaves me suspicious.. the time to get a coach was the last offseason (van gundy, silas, carlisle)..

·
Schilster Supreme
13,610 Posts
Originally posted by <b>yangsta</b>!
We don't want EITHER Fratello or Wilkens.. Wilkens.. the losing-est coach in NBA history... Fratello.. no one has given him a job for a long time.. that leaves me suspicious.. the time to get a coach was the last offseason (van gundy, silas, carlisle)..
He's also the winningest coach in NBA history...;)

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Why does Portland want either Fratello or Wilkins? They define the term "retread." They're essentially clones of one another: slow-down coaches who are .400 - .500 season generators.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
I vote for Pat Riley. He'd dump some whupass on our motley crew of boneheads.

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Schilly</b>!

He's also the winningest coach in NBA history...;)
I think that depends on how you look at things. Cup half full or half empty. Wilkins would be a huge reach into the Blazers past, wouldn't it? :yes:

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
everybody needs to have their named mentioned a first time, so I might as be the guy for once:

Steve Kerr

he could teach defensive, hardnosed basketball, he could show our superstar athletes how to suck it up for big minutes, and he could really relate to the modern NBA athlete. and I just know Sheed would dig it.

yup, you heard it here first. Kerr is our man (or at least until Mark Madsen retires).

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
by the way, anybody watch that great Spurs/Mavs game tonight? I didn't think Mad Dog could look any more goofy, and then he goes and jams two inches of toilet paper up his nose and makes a free throw.

we really shoulda signed this guy. it'd be nice to crack a smile once in a while during a Blazer game.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Blazers should have got Carlisle

The Blazers should have let Cheeks go to Philly and they should have picked up Rick Carlisle!

If they let Cheeks go to Philly then they would not have looked bad to the fans. Cheeks wanted to go, they should have let him.

Rick Carlisle was available at the time and is a much better coach than Cheeks is.

·
Registered
9,192 Posts
The Blazers have already had both Wilkins and Fratello as head coaches. I don't see a reason they should return.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
"The Blazers have already had both Wilkins and Fratello as head coaches."
Huh? When was Fratello ever head coach of the Blazers?

·
Banned
11,117 Posts
In this new, austere Allen era, he would NEVER pay Frat-boy $4-5 mil a year (what he was reportedly asking of the Knicks) to coach the Blazers. :rotf:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts