Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Penny has been shooting the ball horribly,but if you look at the rest of his game he is sooo much better than Houston..maybe thats one of the reasons we are winning???

Penny,and Shandon play D, rebound and most importantly dont hold on to the ball for 15 seconds...

I really think van Horn and Houston are too similar in their games and shouldnt be on the court at the same time..Both are soft,bad penetrators and need the ball..

on a positive note,it was great to see Sweets get some PT...Wouldnt mind seeing what Demarr has..Could be our starting front line of the future

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
1. Houston hasn't been driving because he has a bad knee.

2. Van Horn drives to the basket frequently despite his rep. I take it you missed his behind the back moves against the Celtics and his ownage of Artest/O'Neal.

3. You must have a short memory if you forgot so fast how effective Houston was at the beginning of the Marbury trade. When he WASN'T INJURED.

4. Van Horn and Houston do not have similar games in the slightest. Other than their shooting and defense, the comparison doesn't hold. It's like saying Wally Szczerbiak and Sam Cassell are too similar.

·
Registered
95 Posts
yeah but the Heat didn't even reach 70. Holding an opponant to 62 points and winning is better than scoring 101 and losing. Maybe the team is but I would like to see Marbury play with a healthy Houston first since the last 2 weeks or so has been hurt Houston.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I Like KVH..but his penetration to the hoop is always an adventure..it seems like he gets stripped,turns the ball over or gets his shot blocked half the time...

its not that i forgot how effectine H20 was,its just that other than shooting Penny seems to be superior to him in every facet of the game..And thats after how many injuries and operations??

I still think KVH and Houston are similar type of players..Other than their shooting and defense???Thats all Houston does is shhot..he doesnt pass,and never rebounds..

Anyway,i am not saying H20 isnt talented..I just think his game lacks alot

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Without him the zone defense would smother starbury and take advantage of KVH's and Penny's lack of mobility. Houston is needed. Horrible question, neither penny or KVH is a good substitute for the scorer, clutch shooter, and leader houston is.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
yeah but the Heat didn't even reach 70.
Don't kid yourself, that's what the Heat typically average when Wade is out of the lineup. They're not a good offensive team.

Don't kid yourself into thinking Penny's defense is the reason they only scored 64 either. Penny wasn't guarding Lamar Odom. Penny himself only scored 3 points. If Houston scores 15 points and gives up 5 more points than Penny, that's a net gain.

Furthermore I don't see how Penny's defense gets more credit than Shandon Anderson's, since Penny only played 2 more minutes.

Penny's contributions have been vastly overrated by the media. He's shooting the ball poorly, he's not quick by any means, and he is only averaging 1.8 assists per game.

He's a nice role player, but the Knicks won't get by forever on a Penny/Anderson tandem. Neither can shoot, Marbury is not a marksman, and everybody is jumping on and off KVH's bandwagon every game. That leaves the Knicks depending on Kurt Thomas/Michael Doleac pick and rolls to save the day against any decent zone. Fun.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
What he said holding the heat to a low point total isn't to much of a spectacular feat. I mean they have a severally injured Caron, no Dwade, and a weak offensive scheme.

Don't read to much into that after all we always beat the heat :p

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For what its worth,the Knicks have been winning without an INJURED Houston..i am fully aware of that..

Ild like to see the 20 million dollar man have more than 2 rebounds and 2assists per game,considering his D sukks..

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Houston's D is underrated. He doesn't get steals or blocks, but other than that, is there any particular moment you can recall him getting burned on a play? I think he plays it safe, just trying to focus on staying in front of his man instead of taking chances. He's good at defensive rotations. Besides, how many other gunners are good defenders? Reggie wasn't, all he could do was flop. Peja Stojakovic, Glen Rice, Kyle Korver, Hubert Davis, Michael Redd, Mike Miller, Wesley Person, how many of these guys are/were good defenders? Houston's no Dan Majerle, but Majerle couldn't shoot like Houston either. The best defensive gunner in the league is probably Kerry Kittles. The Nets would take Houston over Kittles in a heartbeat. They wouldn't get zoned anymore.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.