Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With maybe Larry Bird as owner? That'd be cool. I'll bet they'd sell out like they used to with no more George Shinn. They have already approved the new arena and now its up to the league this summer to do something. I think Charlotte will get it. Charlotte averaged over 22500 fans a game for 14 years. No other NBA city has lifetime attendance anywhere near that. Plus we had Shinn selling the players as soon as their contract came due and Wooldridge threatening to move the team almost from the second he hit town. Anyway, wish us luck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
hey that would be really cool, but i dont think the people of charlotte really care anymore, but i think it was just george. so maybe nang.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Originally posted by nang1980
With maybe Larry Bird as owner? That'd be cool. I'll bet they'd sell out like they used to with no more George Shinn. They have already approved the new arena and now its up to the league this summer to do something. I think Charlotte will get it. Charlotte averaged over 22500 fans a game for 14 years. No other NBA city has lifetime attendance anywhere near that. Plus we had Shinn selling the players as soon as their contract came due and Wooldridge threatening to move the team almost from the second he hit town. Anyway, wish us luck.
You guys will get a team in a matter of years no question. Once/if the NBA approves the new arena you will be set to go. I feel sorry for you guys tho you had a great team that is gonna do big things in new orleans. With Baron, Masburn and Maggloire you had one of the brightest futures. It is a shame that the NBA left Charlotte but with the attendance records you mentioned in your post they are bound to be back.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually what happened to the team probably will turn out to be the best for Charlotte. Right now we have four groups vying for the new team, with the one lead by Bird being the frontrunner. They are hoping to begin play in 2003. They are backed by a billionaire plus several of the business's in the city. Last night we got approval for a new arena. Its hard for a small market team to retain talent since many of them want to go to NY and LA, but having a high profile person like Bird may help us overcome this problem. George Shinn simply did not have the resources to be an NBA owner. As a result we never signed any of our free agents. This irritated the fans to lose players like Kobe, Mourning, Eddie Johnson, the list goes on and on. Also, Shinn got himself in a sex scandal mess that did not look good. Charlotte is growing very fast and has the 25th largest TV market. We hold all the attendance lifetime records. We can support an NBA team. Actually we were still doing real well with attendance until Ray Wooldridge came on the scene and threatening to move the team every five minutes. Only then did attendance completely go into the toilet.. Even as late as the 2000-2001 season, I think we sold 14000 season tickets which ain't bad.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
ya you guys will definately no questions asked get a team within a couple of years. maybe even in time for the 03-04 season

1 - 5 of 5 Posts