Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The thing I love about what the Bulls have done -- and it's probably a great model for teams to follow -- is they're doing what the New England Patriots are doing. They're bringing in guys who love basketball first, over themselves, guys who have been winners, guys who have been strong character guys, and guys who don't care about being a star.
Out Loud: Doc Rivers

The New England Patriots of the NBA? Well, it's nice to have the endorsement of a good coach like Doc -- he's a democrat, too.

But I was amazed to read that his house was burned down, probably for racial reasons, in the 90's, in San Antonio. Unbelievable.

The more I read his quotes, the more I like the guy.

Edit: And, by the way, Happy Easter everyone!

·
Administrator 12/02--7/07
36,839 Posts
The thing I love about what the Bulls have done -- and it's probably a great model for teams to follow -- is they're doing what the New England Patriots are doing. They're bringing in guys who love basketball first, over themselves, guys who have been winners, guys who have been strong character guys, and guys who don't care about being a star.
Why were the Patriots bringing in guys who love basketball?

Whatever works, I guess..

·
A deserving All-Star
2,319 Posts
I think he meant that the patriots were bringing in guys who love the sport and the concept of teamwork over individual accolades. That is why there is the mention of the Patriots.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Jeez, it's about time somebody noticed.

I've been saying this for over a year now. I even made a post a while back on another board comparing Skiles' coaching highway to Belichick's:

- Both were not very successful in their first coaching job (1 playoff appearance, got fired in the end)

- Both were thought to be maniacal control freaks who could never coach veteran players because the vets would tune them out

- Both seemingly changed their personalities with NE and CHI, and in their second season totally turned their teams around from bad 1st seasons (Pats from 5-11 to Super Bowl, Bulls 23-59 to ???)

- Both started their second seasons winless and seemingly going nowhere (Pats were 0-2 in 2001, Bulls 0-9 this year) until they insterted a late-round nobody at QB/PG (Brady/Duhon)

- Both Belichick and Skiles play their entire roster, putting guys where they "don't belong" (Vrabel at TE, Seymour at FB, Hinrich at SG)

- Both Belichick and Skiles win with aggressive, hounding defenses and "questionable" offenses (until the Pats got Dillon)

- Neither organization has any problem getting rid of guys whose salary doesn't fit their production (Lawyer Milloy, Ty Law, Jamal Crawford, Eddie Robinson) because they don't have a problem with 'addition by subtraction'

- Both teams have GMs who are 100% behind their coaches style of play and vice versa

- Both teams have vets who were unwanted elsewhere playing big roles (Rodney Harrison, AD, Harrington) because they fit the system

- Look at Brady and Duhon... Brady is STILL somehow underrated by many, Duhon didn't get much love around here until we went 3-0 without Kirk. But they both just win, Brady's record as a starter is record-setting, Duhon is now 37-22 as a starter.

There are a lot more, but I just woke up not too long ago.

I am certainly glad to see Doc recognize what I've been saying all along- my Bulls are following the same path to success as my Patriots, the similarities are eerie.

·
Welcome to the Grindhouse!
19,803 Posts
Actually, Paxson/Skiles/Bulls model reminds me of the West/Hubie/Grizzlies model. Play a lot of people, expect them to perform and offer no excuses (injuries, youth, lack of superstars). You play hard nose defense, hustle, run the offense, and make open shots. When one playes is off his game, another steps up. When players go into a slump, their minutes decrease and someone else earns playing time. Its not sexy but it is effective.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
MemphisX said:
Actually, Paxson/Skiles/Bulls model reminds me of the West/Hubie/Grizzlies model. Play a lot of people, expect them to perform and offer no excuses (injuries, youth, lack of superstars). You play hard nose defense, hustle, run the offense, and make open shots. When one playes is off his game, another steps up. When players go into a slump, their minutes decrease and someone else earns playing time. Its not sexy but it is effective.
I agree, but why hasn't it been working as well for you guys this year? Was it Hubie? Or injuries? Or what?

39-29 is still great but I recall you guys won 50 last year. Hopefully we can avoid your mistakes (if you made any).

·
19,803 Posts
rwj333 said:
I agree, but why hasn't it been working as well for you guys this year? Was it Hubie? Or injuries? Or what?

39-29 is still great but I recall you guys won 50 last year. Hopefully we can avoid your mistakes (if you made any).

Do you keep up with basketball? The Grizzlies have been one of the top 5 teams since January 1st and this while being ravaged by injuries.

·
19,803 Posts
bullsville said:
And that explains why they have lost 29 games? :rolleyes:

Reading may be fundamental, but without comprehension...
Yep, you need to try a little comprehension.

He says the system isn't working but it is because we have been one of the top 5 teams in the new year despite numerous injuries inclding 23 games by our best player.

So the next time you try to be cute...read more, then post less...it will help you. :clap:

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
MemphisX said:

He says the system isn't working but it is because we have been one of the top 5 teams in the new year despite numerous injuries inclding 23 games by our best player.

So the next time you try to be cute...read more, then post less...it will help you. :clap:
No, he says the system isn't "working as well for you guys this year"

Uh, let's see, 39-29 = .574 winning percentage

Last year, 50-32 = .610 winning percentage

Logical conclusion, system not working as well. Math helps, too. :rolleyes:

You come back with "The Grizzlies have been one of the top 5 teams since January 1st".

This describes their struggles in what way?

Why do the Grizzlies have 29 losses?

What was the problem before Jan 1st?

That is what you were asked, and you answered none of those questions.

So next time you want to question someone's.... ah, screw it, you don't comprehend what you read anyway, obviously.

Buh-bye.

·
19,803 Posts
bullsville said:
No, he says the system isn't "working as well for you guys this year"

Uh, let's see, 39-29 = .574 winning percentage

Last year, 50-32 = .610 winning percentage

Logical conclusion, system not working as well. Math helps, too. :rolleyes:

You come back with "The Grizzlies have been one of the top 5 teams since January 1st".

This describes their struggles in what way?

Why do the Grizzlies have 29 losses?

What was the problem before Jan 1st?

That is what you were asked, and you answered none of those questions.

So next time you want to question someone's.... ah, screw it, you don't comprehend what you read anyway, obviously.

Buh-bye.
You are just making yourself seem more foolish.

Read more, post less

I will make it ez for you: the system is working because despite all the injuries the Grizzlies have almost the same record as they had last year, now I know that was hard for you to understand since I coded it in English but I hope this helps. See, no numbers because numbers don't tell the entire story.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Guys, guys, this thread was dying a peaceful death.

Back on topic. Somebody in the Boston game thread mentioned that Boston-Chicago would be a nice series. I agree. These two teams seem pretty well matched.

But the Bulls are getting too good for that, at least in the first round.

Doc Rivers is a worthy opponent.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts

So the next time you try to be cute...read more, then post less...it will help you.
No, Bullsville had it exactly right. I asked why the system wasn't working as well -- why your record isn't as good as last year. I obviously follow the NBA, but I don't follow the Grizzlies that closely, hence the placement of that question mark at the end of the sentence.

I recalled that you guys started off very slowly, 5-10 to start November, and I wondered why. I don't believe you guys had serious injuries at the beginning of the season, either. As far as I can see, Memphis now uses a different system than last year. Hubie had 2 5-man rotations last year. This year, that wasn't working. You had to switch to a more traditional 8 man rotation. You also had to switch coaches (and I know Hubie had health problems, but if the team was doing well, then he wouldn't have quit, I bet). Was it solely because of injuries? Or because the 10-man wasn't working out that well? Because of player egos?

Please excuse my extreme ignorance concerning the details of the Memphis basketball organization.

·
Registered
3,643 Posts
Thanks, rwj. Your post and the question you asked seemed quite simple, but the Grizz fan was too worried about jumping in to say that they have been outstanding since Jan 1- which had nothing at all to do with your question.

When a guy comes to a board and the first words out of his mouth are "Do you keep up with basketball?", I hope he doesn't expect to be showered with love.

Of course, we still don't know why the Grizz were struggling mightily until Hubie stepped down, maybe a Grizz fan who is older than 12 can help us out?

And back on topic, I certainly don't want this thread to die. I have been comparing Skiles with Belichick and the Bulls with the Patriots for a while now (on another board), I'm glad someone else finally noticed. :biggrin:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts