Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Warrior Spirit!
4,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
that one, gilbert arenas is averaging 29 PPG and two, that gives the league nearly four players averaging 30+ PPG. that is crazy, when is the last time that happened?

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
Yes I am quite aware of that. I'm cheering for him to push his average to 30. Go Gilbert!

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
The powers that be wanted to increase scoring in the league. Instead of just waiting for it to happen, they implemented some rule changes and dropped some whispers into the ears of the refs and, BAM, you get 4 players averaging ~30ppg and 30+, 40+, and 50+ point games just about every week.

·
Elite Member
15,150 Posts
ssmokinjoe said:
The powers that be wanted to increase scoring in the league. Instead of just waiting for it to happen, they implemented some rule changes and dropped some whispers into the ears of the refs and, BAM, you get 4 players averaging ~30ppg and 30+, 40+, and 50+ point games just about every week.
It's not really as simple as that. LeBron was barely an NBA rookie just a couple seasons, and Arenas didn't break out until recently. We already knew AI and Kobe could score 30+ ppg, that's no surprise. The league has much better perimeter players than a few years ago. Arenas, Wade, etc. would have seasons just like this 2-3 years ago.

·
Curse of the Sonics
20,792 Posts
Let's get this straight. It's not a case of the league letting offensive players do what they want, it's a case of the league letting defenses get away with too much for the last decade, and fixing it. Players are far too strong, lengthy and athletic to let them handcheck and harrass offensive players like they did before. It's okay when you have a Jeff Hornacek and Joe Dumars on a Michael Jordan, those guys were outmatched physically so the league let perimeter defenders play aggressive. Now we have 6'7 and 6'8 guys who are quick as a cat, strong as an ox, and huge wingspans. It's not fair if you let them manhandle offensive players. Nobody would ever score.

On a sidenote more related to the thread, Carmelo Anthony is averaging 26.6 points per game, but in only 36.9 minutes per game. He scores at the same rate as LeBron does (both at 34.6 points per 48 minutes).

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
They should look into increasing the width of the courts too.

There was some mention of four player scoring 30+ for the season, but I can't seem to find the info now. I think it was Baylor, West, Robertson...? Or am I totally off?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I actually enjoy watching defence.

When most people say defence biased game is boring, I say the contrary. I hate watching games that there're a lot of points. I like watching team basketball. If the defence is tougher, there will be more team basketball than 1 on 1 basketball. Defence and team basketball are the beauty of basketball.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
EHL said:
It's not really as simple as that. LeBron was barely an NBA rookie just a couple seasons, and Arenas didn't break out until recently. We already knew AI and Kobe could score 30+ ppg, that's no surprise. The league has much better perimeter players than a few years ago. Arenas, Wade, etc. would have seasons just like this 2-3 years ago.
True. All these guys are exceptional scorers no matter what rules are in place. But although AI has led the league for several seasons, this is only Kobe's 2nd time of having a 30+ ppg avg. In 02-03 he was at 30.0ppg and this year he's averaging almost 35! And Lebron and Arenas have come out of nowhere with their ~30ppg averages. This is definitely a special season scoring-wise.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
LeBron James, Allen Iverson, and Kobe Bryant: Are trying to become the first trio to score over 30 points per game since the 1981-82 season. These three have already had their own section, so might as well throw them in together. And why not? It has been a long time since the league has seen three dominant scorers like this. Give Stern and the NBA credit for increasing scoring across the board, but also give these players credit for taking their games to the next level. Not since George Gervin, Moses Malone, and Adrian Dantley have we seen three guys all go for 30+ in the same season. And not since the 1965-66 campaign have three players crested 31 points a game, as Bryant, Iverson, and James are currently doing. The scoring kings of 40 years ago? Just a few guys named Wilt Chamberlain, Oscar Robertson, and Jerry West.

from http://www.whatifsports.com/insider/default.asp?article=20060217

Though I could have sworn I saw mention of 4 players at 30+ somewhere...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Back to 1997-98 season, believe it or not , Shareef Abdur rahim finished that season with 22.3 PPG and ranked 6 th in the NBA. Nowdays, there are about 21-22 guys who avging 20+ ppg. So it is not surprised to see 3-4 guys avging 30+ ppg this season, is it?

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
KennyK said:
Back to 1997-98 season, believe it or not , Shareef Abdur rahim finished that season with 22.3 PPG and ranked 6 th in the NBA. Nowdays, there are about 21-22 guys who avging 20+ ppg. So it is not surprised to see 3-4 guys avging 30+ ppg this season, is it?

very true.And anyone remember 02/03 season?If I'm not mistaken T-mac was the scoring leader with 28.0 points

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.