Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the season ended today and the Timberwolves did not make the playoffs, do you think that KG should be All-NBA first team? He is still the most effeicient player in the game. However, I think team success factors into the equation. On stats alone, Garnett could be an MVP so that is not close to being the reason. 22.4ppg, 13.8rpg, 5.6 apg, 1.5spg, 1.5bpg. He is definitely a lock for All-NBA if he can lead his team back into the playoffs.

My All-NBA team right now
Shaq
Garnett
Dirk/Duncan/Amare
Wade/Lebron/McGrady - Tough Pick
Nash
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,266 Posts
I'd take Dirk and Duncan over KG for All-NBA 1st team.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,660 Posts
It would give me much, much pleasure if, one year, KG pulled down 10 boards a game instead of 14, averaged 3 assists per game instead of 6, shot 45% instead of 50%, and put up 30 PPG rather than 22.

I think it would also give his team many, many Ws.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,093 Posts
I don't know

If you use the logic that the voters used last year KG wouldn't be a 1st teamer

remember Cassell was on the 1st team and McGrady was put on the 2nd team, even thought his stats were better

statistically KG isn't much better than Dirk this season...but Dirk's team is having a better year
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,226 Posts
it depends ultimately on a few things... can he rally the wolves into the playoffs or at least give denver a real run for their money? and are lebron and mcgrady going to be considered as forwards or guards. i personally think he'll somehow be named to the first team. whether he deserves it or not i guess is up to debate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
427 Posts
It's obvious to me that Dirk should be on the first team this year. He has improved his game drastically, and been the one consistant in a turbulant year for the Mavs. I don't know if he will get it because of everyone giving KG such high cred. KG puts up great numbers but to me he doesn't finish a game like Dirk does.
 

·
do better
Joined
·
41,522 Posts
I might be a little biased, but I believe it should be Duncan and then Dirk. Dirk doesn't quite have the stats Garnett does, but that's not the whole battle. He has comparable stats, and he's led his team to the 4th seed in the west.

My team:

Shaq/Duncan/Garnett/Mcgrady/Nash

I reserve the right to change.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,615 Posts
this year imo dirk is in over kg. Not a knock on KG, but the way Dirk plays helps his team more than KG's play. IMO Kg needs to be much more aggressive
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,840 Posts
How would Garnett be a lock over Duncan and Dirk? Duncan would have been the Defensive Player of the Year and possible MVP if he stayed healthy, so there's no way he should get booted by Garnett. Dirk is the leader on the Mavs, who are several notches above the T'Wolves.



Garnett is a victim of his team's record. I don't think he should make First Team.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,620 Posts
LBJthefuturegoat said:
same here but a 180 from yours
Yeah, but mine is backed up with some coherent analysis and logic, not just a random claim.
 

·
Elite Member
Joined
·
15,161 Posts
Over LeBron? Yes. Over Dirk? Slightly, sure. So yes, 1st Team IMO. But LeBron and Dirk have played very close to him this season, offensively. Still a wide gap defensively even though Dirk has clearly improved his defense/stamina this year.
 

·
do better
Joined
·
41,522 Posts
EHL said:
Over LeBron? Yes. Over Dirk? Slightly, sure. So yes, 1st Team IMO. But LeBron and Dirk have played very close to him this season, offensively. Still a wide gap defensively even though Dirk has clearly improved his defense/stamina this year.
Yeah, but I didn't see any mention of team success in there. That has to count for something. I think when Dirk and KG have comparable stats, I think that's the determining factor when the Mavericks could conceivably be talking finals and the Timberwolves are fighting for an 8 seed.
 

·
Elite Member
Joined
·
15,161 Posts
_Dre_ said:
Yeah, but I didn't see any mention of team success in there. That has to count for something. I think when Dirk and KG have comparable stats, I think that's the determining factor when the Mavericks could conceivably be talking finals and the Timberwolves are fighting for an 8 seed.
Team has little to do with it. KG is playing with absolute garbage this year. Cassell has pouted and been injured, Spreewell has pouted and tanked in general, Hudson has pouted and played mediocre, etc. Put KG on the Mavs in place of Dirk and they're more than legit title contenders.
 

·
Top Of The Pops
Joined
·
27,472 Posts
_Dre_ said:
Yeah, but I didn't see any mention of team success in there. That has to count for something.
Why? Even more than the MVP award, All-NBA is an individual award. We have team awards; they're known as playoff spots, Eastern and Western Conference Championships and NBA Championships.

The All-NBA team is for the best players...the best players can be on bad teams. It happens, sometimes. If Nowitzki were playing at exactly the same level but happened to be on the Hawks, would he suddenly be a worse player?

Kevin Garnett absolutely deserves first team All-NBA. I doubt he'll get it, though, because voters can't seem to separate individual ability from circumstances. It makes a better story to give all the credit and blame to one player and pretend that the best players on the top teams entirely make up the best players in the league.
 

·
do better
Joined
·
41,522 Posts
EHL said:
Team has little to do with it. KG is playing with absolute garbage this year. Cassell has pouted and been injured, Spreewell has pouted and tanked in general, Hudson has pouted and played mediocre, etc. Put KG on the Mavs in place of Dirk and they're more than legit title contenders.
I agree that it should be simply the singular player getting selected, but team success will be factored in, when you're talking about the people voting for the team.

It shouldn't be as simple as that, if X was here, they'd be just as good, so team success doesn't matter anyway. I think team success has to come into play this season with so many deserving forwards.

This is probably sacrilege(sp), but I'll ask anyway:

Is Duncan that much of a lock, considering his injury? If Amare, or KG, or Dirk finishes out the season really strong, does he possibly get pushed out? I know my answer is a quick yes, but just throwing that out there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,840 Posts
Minstrel said:
Why? Even more than the MVP award, All-NBA is an individual award. We have team awards; they're known as playoff spots, Eastern and Western Conference Championships and NBA Championships.

The All-NBA team is for the best players...the best players can be on bad teams. It happens, sometimes. If Nowitzki were playing at exactly the same level but happened to be on the Hawks, would he suddenly be a worse player?

Kevin Garnett absolutely deserves first team All-NBA. I doubt he'll get it, though, because voters can't seem to separate individual ability from circumstances. It makes a better story to give all the credit and blame to one player and pretend that the best players on the top teams entirely make up the best players in the league.



So, does Allen Iverson deserve a spot on the 1st Team All-NBA? He's leading the league in scoring, he's up there in steals, he's up there in assists.
 

·
Top Of The Pops
Joined
·
27,472 Posts
KokoTheMonkey said:
So, does Allen Iverson deserve a spot on the 1st Team All-NBA? He's leading the league in scoring, he's up there in steals, he's up there in assists.
No, because I think Kobe Bryant and Tracy McGrady are better. Not on better teams--simply better players.

I do think Iverson belongs on the second team.
 
1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Top