Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sure, there is lots of talk from notorious NBA beat writers and posters about Jalen not being able to share the ball with JWill or anyone else for that matter.....

But is this mostly talk?

I would argue that most people like to look back on past success and try to replicate that. There is no doubt that the pinnacle of Rose's NBA career was reaching the NBA Finals with the Pacers in 2000-2001.

The stats from that year: http://www.chicagobulls.com/pacers/stats/stats_1999.html

Jalen and Reggie were co-leading scorers. Jalen also had 4 assists per game and Reggie had 3.

Additionally, Best and MJax combined played 47 min a game and had more than 17 pts and 11 assists per game.

Looks like Jalen did a great job of fitting into a TEAM structure that year. Clearly, he did not dominate the ball.

The old Fab Five at Mich were equal opportunity as well with Webber being the biggest star of all.

So call me optimistic on this issue as I look for Rose to prove the doubters wrong.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Originally posted by <b>johnston797</b>!
http://www.chicagobulls.com/pacers/stats/stats_1999.html

Looks like Jalen did a great job of fitting into a TEAM structure that year. Clearly, he did not dominate the ball.
I was trying to make this point in the other thread. I think if he is in the right situation he will excel like he did for the pacers, but take him out of that and he is overrated. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
In the few games he's played for Chicago the last thing I find is him being selfish. I wish he was more selfish. He waits until the 4th quarter before he takes over.

Preferring to run the offense and pass up the shot is not selfish - I don't think.

·
"Meow."
5,595 Posts
I must agree with you above... I greeted the Rose trade with utmost of skepticism, and have so far been pleasently surprised. He seems to create as well as score. So far the ball flows better when he is on the court.

·
I never slice.
2,282 Posts
Rose has never struck me as a "take over the game" type of player. He is not the type of player who can get his own shot anytime he wants to. There was a game earlier this pre-season (I want to say it was the T'Wolves game, but I can't remember for sure) where he tried to force his shot down the stretch and had it blocked back in his face. Rather thatn relying on quickness and leaping ability, he relies more on cleverness which doesn't always work if the defender doesn't go for his fakes. His play reminds me in many ways of the way Larry Bird used to get his man off balance and then take maximum advantage of it (whether it be by shooting, driving, or passing).

I hope Rose can continue his willingness to share the ball, even if the team begins to lose games. The young players on the team are not going to grow if Rose insists on dominating the ball at the end of games.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
i agree somewhat with your last sentence kneepad but there are going to be games where the kids cant finish. It sure is nice to know that Rose and Marshall will be here to maybe pull some of those losses we would of had into wins. I feel very good having Rose on this team. Even better, having Marshall.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
To some degree..

Originally posted by <b>truebluefan</b>!
i agree somewhat with your last sentence kneepad but there are going to be games where the kids cant finish. It sure is nice to know that Rose and Marshall will be here to maybe pull some of those losses we would of had into wins. I feel very good having Rose on this team. Even better, having Marshall.
Jalen HAD TO be selfish down the stretch of a few games as we did not have ANY OTHER options other than the rookies. He did what he had to do to give us the best chance of winning. MANY times I watched him provide countless assists(granted,in order for an assist to be that, the basketball must go in the hole!!!) to the young bulls ONLY to watch them misshandle the ball in some fashion. He TRIED to get whomever else was on the court, involved. MANY times, it did not pan out, so he TRIED to take matters into his hands.

This year, I feel that will be different with the likes of Marshall and Blount to a lesser degree, and, hopefully, Jay, EROB, Hassell and the Twin Towers. GO BULLS!!!:grinning:

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Regardless of his reputation or what people think of him I hope he dumps 45 points on Indiana the first time the Bulls play them.

Even better if he scores 8 points and passes for 18 assists.

Anyone taking a roadie to Indianapolis to see that game? I'm contemplating it.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Lizzy</b>
Anyone taking a roadie to Indianapolis to see that game? I'm contemplating it.
Cant say im going to that game, but I'll definitely be going to see them in Seattle come February decked out in my Bulls gear! :topic:

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Jalen Rose has been a God-send to the Bulls and anyone who thinks that the trade that allowed us to acquire him was anything less than stellar, is just plain foolish, IMO.

Rose clearly makes every player on this team better. With Jalen on the court, the Bulls have a legitimate chance to win most of their games (which is a vast improvement over a year ago at this time when then Bulls only had a chance to win when they were playing the league's bottom-dwellars.)

Rose can shoot from 3pt land, pull up from the wing, or post a small defender up down low. He's an excellent passer and has astute understanding of how the game should be played. Lastly, he knows how to get the crowd going and his teammates believe in him.

The position that Jalen is in with the Bulls is ideal for both Jalen and the young Bulls. Under Bird, Jalen was a leader who was asked to migrate between PG, SG, and SF depending on how the opponents matched up. Night after night, he carried the Pacers all the way to the Finals. (Check the stats). If Cartright uses Jalen in this capacity, the Bulls could be the surprise of the league.

As far as him being selfish, I agree with Lizzy. As far as I am concerned he's not selfish enough. Jalen clearly understands the importance of developing the younger more inexperienced players and he has been arguably too unselfish in his effort to promote and develop his team mates.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Quick question: If Jalen Rose wasn't a Bull, would Donyell Marshall have signed with Chicago?

Unless we ask Donyell directly, we'll never know the answer for sure. But I do feel that his presence adds a significant amount of legitimacy and credibility to the entire organization, particularly as it is perceived by other players.

Even though we traded for him instead of signing him outright as a free agent, Jalen has said all the right things. While he's been truthful in expressing his disappointment over leaving a contender, he's expressed genuine optimism about the direction this team is headed in.

Nobody took this team seriously a year ago. And they were right not to as the Bulls stumbled out of the gate, losers of 12 of their first 13 games. Labels like the "Laugha-Bulls" or the "Unbeara-Bulls" were applied over and over last season.

This year you may have noticed that the media's perception of the ballclub has changed. Now we're a team on the rise, laden with young talent and led by a playoff tested star in Jalen Rose.

Sure, we're still in the midst of rebuilding. But we're being taken seriously now. And Jalen Rose has a lot to do with that. Just ask Donyell.

·
Administrator
58,359 Posts
your right hjh. A interviewer of either the minny game or the clipper game asked Donyell why Chicago? He said something to the affect that we are on our way up. Stockton and Malone are on their way down in another year or two. He wants to be part of it. And i am sure, its because of having Rose!! Yes, williams and the youngsters help but its Jalen and his 8 or 9 years expereince that got him to come here. It wasn't Corrie Blount neither!!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Selfish? NO.

While Bird was coach of Indiana, Rose was a team player on the ascent.

When Isiah, the clueless coach, became coach, that's when Rose became "selfish" as proclaimed by Isiah's media pitbull- Peter "The Village Idiot" Vecsey.

Vecsey, at every opportunity, takes a dig into Rose.
Vecsey's criticism's are so transparent, it's downright shameful. Vecsey, as Isiah's pit bull, is perpetuating some stupid one sided vendetta.

Immediately when Rose came to the Bulls last season, he got the ball to TC and Ec in postions where these two can score. Rose has always been a creative passer. Bird as a forward with similar passing skills, knew how to utilize Rose. Isiah, as a former PG, who can only concieve of pg's who mirror his own game (Stoudamire and Tinsley), had no clue how to best utilize Rose.

Fortunately for the Bulls, Rose is ideally suited for the triangle where the distinction betw. the 1, 2, and 3 isn't as pronounced . Rose is like a skinnier Magic. If Rose had more wieght and strength, like Magic, he'd probably be able to play the 4 as well.

Evry team also needs a "go to guy". Prior to last year's trade, the Bulls had some nice players, but none were "go-to-guys". You need a go-to guy in the last 5 minutes of a game. Jordan, Kobe, Pierce, Iverson, Bird, magic, Duncan, et cetera.

Rose, in the triangle, is finally getting the opportunity to really showcase both his passing and scoring skills. Some nights he may score lot, other nights he may dish out a lot of assists. if the Bulls are surprising around 15-25 at All Star break, Jalen w. definitely be an All Star.

As for Rose affecting Donyell's decsion to become a Bull, of course that was part of it. Though another, as significant, part of Donyell coming to the Bulls was marshall's long time and close friendship with BJ Armstrong. Armstrong and Marshall became tight after BJ went to GS.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I haven't posted in a long time, but I wanted to say that I agree with ztect 100%. Overrated? If anything, Jalen is underrated. He's definitely someone who can take over a game on offense down the stretch. His numbers support the claim, and more importantly, I think he makes big shots and he makes tough shots. I'm not as impressed with points that come within the flow of the offense, or are the byproduct of someone else's great play and assist. Jalen is a guy who can take his man one on one when the offense stalls, and who will take (and can make) a tough shot as the shot clock is winding down. I think the fact that he can score and can play 3 positions makes him a matchup nightmare for other teams, especially if we run him out there as the PG with a big lineup.

More importantly, I think Rose is a winner. I watched Michigan basketball religiously while he was there, and I read Mitch Albom's book on the Fab Five, and he really was the heart and soul of the team. Chris Webber is a phenomenal talent, but we all saw in the playoffs last year that he's just not a leader. Additionally, it's hard for me to give CWebb all the credit for that team, when Michigan was just as good the year after he left (back-to-back OT losses to Purdue and NWstrn dropped them from a 1 seed to a 3 seed, and a bunch of bad calls and foul trouble kept them from beating Arkansas in a really close regional final).

I think we've also seen that Rose is willing and able to take pressure shots. One blocked jumper in a preaseason game notwithstanding, Jalen has always stepped up in the 4th quarter (the Knicks game and the Rockets game last year come to mind, and there were others).

I think Jalen Rose is a great player to have around our young guys. He's not someone who accepts losing and will do whatever it takes to win, while at the same time understanding that he has to help the young guys develop. Jalen to our young guys will be like Reggie Miller to the young guys in Indiana (that may not sound like much now, but that team will be frightening in a few years, and their young players all know to expect a win every night).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts