Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading posts that state that if a certain player was black, then he would be better??? How does this make sense?? Does it matter if a player is black or white?? What does skin colour have to do with making a jump shot or a layup, or getting a rebound. It has no impact at all.For instance saying that Wally Szcerbiak is a bad player because he is white is a poor example and I have read this numerous times.Remember that he has only played in the league 3 years and is already an all-star and shooting more than 50% from the field.

So what I want to know is why does everyone think that skin colour means that you are a better player then a guy of another colour. Sure there are more black players in the league but stereotyping a white player as bad because he is white is not the way to go. And I always read this interpretatuion on all forums. "Oh, he is white and is a stiff,". Actually Peja, Wally, Dirk, Stockton, Nash, etc are examples of white guys that are in the top echelon of players in the NBA currently. As a white person skin colour comparisons and stereotypes have to stop!! Sure guys liken Shawn Bradley, George Muresan have made given white players a bad name, but I can name 10,000 black players who are just as bad or 10 times worse. So lets stop all the colour interpretations about NBA players!!!

·
Registered
694 Posts
But if you think about it, the NBA is dominated by african americans. They are better athletes, they can jump higher, run faster, etc. I'm sure everyone realizes that

·
Registered
920 Posts
Why do you say that? If I said white people were smarter because they scored higher on SAT and a higher percentage of white people graduated from college than black people, you would give me hell. I am a mixed person so neither applies to me.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
What???

Since when has being able to jump higher then someone mean you are a better player then another guy. Athletic ability is just one of ther tools of basketball, but is not all the tools. Bird, Chambers, Stockton, Dirk, Walton, etc etc are prime examples of guys that were inferior in athletic ability but can school black guys night in and night out, with their shooting abilities and all around game. Anyway I just want to know why white guys are stereotyped as white stiffs without any supporting evidence to back these statements up. Once again, Bradley, Muresan, Montross, but I can name 1,000000 black players that are worse. so lets start giving the white guys more respect!! I just wish that players were just judged on their merits and that is it, once again, skin colour has nothing to do with anything. Anyway what evidence is there that a black guy can jump higher than a white guy??? Not that that matters at all!!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Wally, Brad Miller, Rasho, Kirilenko, Van Horn, Dickau, Nskitaveli, Gasol, etc...

·
Registered
450 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Hotlantadude198</b>!
What about White forgien players vs. White American
players?
IMO, i would think white forgien players because they are bigger and powerful. representing that would be nowitzki, the president of white forgien players.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is my whole point...

See no-one can back up my point as to why white players are streotyped in general as stiffs. Because there is no real reason to stereotype them in this way. Just judge a player on their merits is all that matters. Anyway from the number of black guys in the league to white guys, guys like Dirk, Peja, Wally, Nash, were named as all-stars. So in relation to the number of black guys to white guys in the league, I think this is pretty damn favourable to the white players. Once again, their is no evidence to support that black players are superior players and athletes to white guys.

Lets not talk about individual players but just debate why these stereotypes exist and why they have no foundation at all!!

·
Registered
427 Posts
I think there is some truth to the lack of quaility players
that are white AMERICANS.

the best are:

Van Horn
Mike Miller
Austin Croshere
Wally Z
and it drops off even further than that.None of those
guys are legit stars.

Dirk
Pau-Quickly moving up
Parker
Peja
Nash
That forgien dude for Seattle
Big Jake is improving
ak47
Turk

The second list is alot more talened.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Skin color has nothing to do with the skill level of a player, just how that player is perceived by the general public, not necessarily everyone, but in general.

·
Yes, please.
16,648 Posts
Cmon guys...

Skin color doesnt matter. And also, how do you forget John Stockton, one of the best players of all time.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Skin color does nothing to determine skill..Take a look at the last All-Star rosters, how many players were white? Or at the Rookie Game? or the Dunk Contest?

·
Registered
55 Posts
People people people, what the hell are you all talking about? Black people are better basketball players than white people, duh! I mean black people dominate the majority of real sports because they are much much more athletic, however there are a few exception sin the NBA, and one thing you'll notice is the big time white NBA player either has size (white centers) or is a very smart player (Bird & Stockton come to mind) white people have been proven to be msarter on the average than black people (Not racism, it's a fact) and that's one of the few things white man has on black man in sports (well white man has a much better work ethic too ofcourse) (JK :D ) But anyways if a players great hes great, no matter what race but it just so happens more black people are great because they are much more athletic and white guys have to rely on smarts more and not raw talent anyways whaetever

·
Registered
82 Posts
*If you take this as racist I could honestly care less cause that just means you don't want to know the facts*

Being black or white doesn't really deterime wether you are going to be a good basketball player or not. But it does deterime what your popularity is going to be.

Cause lets face it people...with the way of entertainment (Mainly music) it is appearing that it is now 'hip to be black' and like you see in rap music videos basketball is the 'black sport'. Therefore if a kid is watching a showdown of a white player and a black player of equal skill there is more of a chance of the audience liking the black player.

My backing? Look at the All Star Voting...I don't know the EXACT numbers or even remember who all made the team next year....but I am PRETTY sure everyone but one or 2 players was black. Not to mention the black players are the more flashy players who care more about making the highlight of the night as opposed to winning a championship. But the flashy player is more fun to watch then a Stockton/Malone combo (i know Malone is black but the Jazz is run by Stockton).

Also more black kids play basketball when they grow up, cause if the sterotype is true, black people on avg. make less money than white people on avg. and basketball is a CHEAP sport to play.

Sorry if this came out kinda bad I just had a few points I wanted to make and limited time to put em in.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
The reason there are more black players in the NBA-is because of a certain cycle. As a whole blacks are poorer than whites-so the poor children see the NBA as their way out-so they dont go to school,they just play basketball all day-so some turn out really good-but for the ones who dont make it-they take low paying jobs and never make it out of poverty and the cycle starts over again.-This is not intended to say African-Americans are bad people-it is just my observation

·
Registered
39 Posts
Wow these post just displayed how ignorant some of you guys are.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
This thread can easily go off topic and it better not. The last time a thread like this was posted it was closed soon after. I am fine with this thread until it gets out of hand. As soon as I see one person go out of line I will close it. I see why people could find this offensive as some posts are very boarderline and blunt.

If you dissagree with someone state your reasons why DONT INSULT.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 37 Posts