Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
8,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a funny thought I had. I remember when Zach put together his first string of three or four 20/10 nights, and it was a case where you wondered if he was going to come back down to earth, or is that really what you can generally expect of him.

the stat line I listed is what Telfair's averaged over the three games in April. "THREE GAMES?!?!!?" i hear tlong say. "HARDLY statistically meaningful."

well, true. but when you watch him play you don't think, "gosh, he's just lucky." or "gosh, he's just padding his stats." he just looks like he's playing his game the way he's always played it.

is that really what we can expect of our rookie point guard for his career (assuming he improves on the turnover numbers as most PG's do)?

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
I think Bassy will defiantley be a double digit assist guy for almost all of his career. His teammates will learn how to paly with him and expected the unexpected pass from him. He is already money at the pick and roll. I could also see him ave. around 20 a night for his career as well. Kid has superstar written all over him.

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Zach plays what some might say is the easiest position in the NBA and Telfair plays the hardest. I think because of this it is more likely that we will continue to see Telfair's numbers improve as he learns the game more. Now it is true that the most talent is also at the PF position, so what I said above is not a knock on Zach, just that their is much less that needs to be learned at that position then at PG.

Positions by difficulty (IMO)
1)PG
2)SG
3)C
4)SF
5)PF

·
Top Of The Pops
27,472 Posts
Consider also that one could argue that Telfair doesn't have one of the more talented supporting casts around him. If Portland's talent upgrades, 'flair will benefit both from having better scorers to pass to and from having guys who command more attention, freeing him up more when he sashays into the paint.

So, I think as he gets older, his supporting cast improves and teammates get used to his passing, his numbers will improve.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
Schilly said:
if he's 6' or over then yes there is a possibilty, but if he's under 6' then I doubt it.

hehe, nice!

actually, I think the whole "he could averave over 20 and 10" implications by some one, might be a bit much.

He desperately needs to get a good 20 foot jumper. He's doing "ok" now, but he's not good enough to rely on it. Infact, I'd still say, unless he's wide open and had time to set his feet, he shouldn't really be expected to make more than 40% of those. Not a knock on him, it's just that his game isn't there yet.

He's doing a lot better as a starter than those who dislike him (or that he was picked so high) expected, and we all know that irritates them. (which is why they're not posting much about it...cept when he does have 4 turnovers)

If he averaged 16-9 for his career, I'd be giddy.

·
Registered
9,819 Posts
He's 19 with a weak supporting cast and getting 16 and 9 in the month of April, give him more gym time and a stronger core of players around him and 20 and 10 is not out of the scenario.

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
MAS RipCity said:
He's 19 with a weak supporting cast and getting 16 and 9 in the month of April, give him more gym time and a stronger core of players around him and 20 and 10 is not out of the scenario.
true, but thats the high end of the spectrum.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
16, 8 and 4, with maybe 2 rebounds and a steal seems quite respectable, as well as mathematically attractive. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Yes. He'll average 16/9/3 going forward. His supporting cast will be better in the future than it is currently. He will continue to learn what to do AND what not to do. He is quick enough to take his man for selfish points almost at will. He needs to be more consistent with the Jumper. Like all players - it would be nice to see a "go-to" move that come playoffs, 1 minute left, count the basket!! He'll almost always be a higher-than-average Turnover guy because he'll have the ball in his hands so much and he'll try passes others wouldn't.

These numbers would be great next season.

·
Registered
8,046 Posts
Is that really what we can expect of our rookie point guard for his career (assuming he improves on the turnover numbers as most PG's do)?
Why set your sights so low? I think Telfair can do better than that once he gets his feet wet.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
true, but thats the high end of the spectrum.
What do you base that on? He scored 30+ per game in HS, so he's capable of putting up big numbers on a regular basis. He's hitting 16 a game right now while shooting at a fairly low clip, yet it doesn't [usually] feel like he's forcing things, so his numbers could easily climb to that 20/10 level simply through improved efficiency. As far as assists, most games I'm left with the impression he passed better than the stat line indicates, mostly due to either: a) the recipient not finishing, or b) Telfair setting up the guy that makes the finishing pass for the assist. 'a' should get better as the team gets better, and 'b' will probably improve as the team gels and more guys learn where to look for each other on the floor.

Dan

·
Banned member
28,452 Posts
dkap said:
What do you base that on? He scored 30+ per game in HS, so he's capable of putting up big numbers on a regular basis. He's hitting 16 a game right now while shooting at a fairly low clip, yet it doesn't [usually] feel like he's forcing things, so his numbers could easily climb to that 20/10 level simply through improved efficiency. As far as assists, most games I'm left with the impression he passed better than the stat line indicates, mostly due to either: a) the recipient not finishing, or b) Telfair setting up the guy that makes the finishing pass for the assist. 'a' should get better as the team gets better, and 'b' will probably improve as the team gels and more guys learn where to look for each other on the floor.

Dan
I didn't say it was impossible, I said it was the high end of the spectrum. There are very very few players who average 20-10 for their careers (as was implied). Infact, I would bet that there haven't been more than 3 players in the last 30 years who for their careers averaged 20-10 for their career (Magic comes close).

·
Grumpy Pragmatist
3,410 Posts
If SeaBass puts up those numbers for what is left of the season, they should rehire Cheeks......just so they can fire his blind butt again!!

·
Registered
6,866 Posts
I could care less how many points Bassy scores on average over the course of his career. Really. He needs to be able to stick the perimeter jumper when needed (reliably), but beyond that I don't care if he ever scores another point.

I want him to run the offense like a conductor runs a symphony. I want him to collapse opposing defenses like the 82nd Airborne. And I want him to dish like a matre'de. If he learns to do all those things, and stick the perimeter jumper when called upon, he'll be a star in my eyes.

PBF

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
tlong said:
How many games have the Blazers won since Telfair's been in the starting lineup? Two?
It's a TEAM game, tlong.. Team game.. You can't blame just one player for all the losses.. Or, I guess you can blame just one player if you want..

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Scout226 said:
It's a TEAM game, tlong.. Team game.. You can't blame just one player for all the losses.. Or, I guess you can blame just one player if you want..

You're right. It IS a team game...and Telfair deserves as much blame for the losses as his teammates. It's all about wins and losses baby.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Of course, one of those two wins came without the help of the Mighty Midget. I still think it could be 3 or even 4 wins if they went cold turkey on the mouse.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts