Professional and College Basketball Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does this San Antonio/Portland deal open up a trade for Bonzi Wells.

"In the deal, the Spurs receive Steve Kerr, Eric Barkley and the 2003 2nd round pick that they traded to Portland last summer. The Trail Blazers receive Daniels, Charles Smith and Amal McCaskill."

We don't have a real SG... Bonzi is a real SG who could net 25ppg a night with ease. He is a good all-around player who I've followed for several years and I've always loved the way he plays the game with intensity and a killer instinct.

Anyway, could this Portland/SA deal open up a sign and trade deal with us?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Who could we trade to Portland that they would want from us?

Blazers:

PG: Daniels, Stoudamire, C. Smith
SG: Wells, Anderson, Woods
SF: Pippen, Patterson
PF: Wallace, Kemp
C: Davis, Randolph, BB, Jennings

We have noone except Rose that they would want. Besides we have no criminals.

We could give them ERob and a draft pick.

I would love to have a guy like Wells along side Rose.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
They need a big body. Maybe we can trick them into taking Dalibar!!!:eek:

I would love to have Bonzi and I think a change of scenery would do wonders for him. I don't think his attitude is as bad as people like to believe. He's an easy target on the Blazers.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Bonzi would be a scary player in the East. He does need a change of scenery, and Chicago would be a nice fit.

Again, the question must be asked, what would Portland possibly want from us? The same names come to mind: Fizer, Crawford, E-Rob.. but its doubtful they would want our scraps for Wells. They could do much better.

The trade is a peculiar one, though I do like Smith's game. I didn't think the Spurs would trade both him and Daniels. Eh.

VD

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Originally posted by <b>Lizzy</b>!
They need a big body. Maybe we can trick them into taking Dalibar!!!:eek:

I would love to have Bonzi and I think a change of scenery would do wonders for him. I don't think his attitude is as bad as people like to believe. He's an easy target on the Blazers.

I say we trade Dalibar for Rusty La Rue... atleast La Rue would be our 4th or 5th string guy and would never see the day of light

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It would all depend on how much Bonzi is resigned for...

Antonio Daniels isn't a starting caliber PG and he'll spend a lot of minutes at the 2 in Portland. Further, Damon is possibly gonna be doing time for his drug conviction.

I'd say a PG (as was reported in the media) and backup bench players would do the trick. I'm sure they'd even take Dali since they are so thin at center.

·
Registered
3,919 Posts
We could give them ERob and Best in a sign and trade. That would make Damon expendable, and i bet they could get someone from Miami for him.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Isn't Bonzi Wells a RFA? If so, do you guys thinck there any chance of Portland letting him go for nothing, as with Keon and Harpring? I know it's probobly a stretch, but I didn't think either of them would be let go for nothing either. Maybe Paul Allen is finally watching his payroll..... :uhoh: LOL!!! Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Portland salaries

01/02 salaries

He made $2,028,239 last year.

1.2 x $2,028,239 = $2,433,886.8

after which he becomes BYC. This one is much more difficult than Lewis. Good luck. :D

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually, this is probably easier then Lewis because Portland has multiple players that can be added in to make a deal work. That is one advantage of taking on all the contracts like they did.

·
Premium Member
8,802 Posts
Bob Whitsitt is very big on DaliborBagaric, perhaps a deal like Best & Bagaric for Wells and filler would do the trick?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
The trade of back up guards between San Antonio and Portland really doesn't change the financial position of either team too greatly (either short term or longer term), in my opinion. So, I would say that it probably will not impact whether Bonzi and Portland will come to terms on a contract extension.

However, that said, I still think there is a chance for the Bulls to get Bonzi but they would need to give up Fizer. The question is does Krause want to give up Fizer to get an guy who'll be an unresticted free agent next year?

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Bonzi for Crawford and Bagaric works .

We sign the Bonz at $5.8M starting - double Jamal and Bagaric's salary for BYC purposes. The Bonz's market is probably around the $6M mark ( IMO )

Michael , Portland and the Bonz would have to be agreeable to relinquishing his RFA status now so he could sign a long term deal with us as an URFA

1 - 14 of 14 Posts