Professional and College Basketball Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey what's up guys
My name is Victor Rivera, I'll be 17 in 6 days, 6'1/2'', 183lbs and I live in Spain. Man, I don't even know if this is the correct forum to ask for this but I might as well get to the point. Even though I never actually enjoyed sports, I've always been in contact with them. I've been swimming ever since I was 3 years old, and used to do some athletics from the years 11-14. I honestly hate talking about stuff I've done well due to the thought that people will think that I'm bragging, but here I'll just write it down since It may help with this. I always end up being the first at swimming competitions, and train hard to end up there; and during my athletics period I would always end up 1st, except on the provincial finals, where I ended up 2nd. I'm ashamed of what I'm going to say now but, during those ages, I was afraid; Afraid of the pain needed in order to succeed in sports, and that's why I ended up flunking athletics at age 14. That year, after summer vacations, my mother and my step dad forced me into a "Full Contact" gym. Man, I "****ed up" so bad then. I was about 5'6'' or 7'' back then and everyone at the gym was taller and wider than me. I got punched, kicked and knocked out more than I can count. I don't know why I didn't have that "spark" that would've made me want to blow their brains up, It just didn't ignite. I eventually left the gym after a year and a half. I've spent this half a year doing nothing but playing video games and browsing the internet, apart from playing guitar.
Then, be me a couple of months ago:
I had of course heard of basketball and knew some stuff about it, but never quite got into it, even though my best friend played it and had joined the local team. I hadn't watched any real game though, until there was a match at school. Once I saw the players dribble the ball through their legs and jump like goats attempting to dunk, I said out loud "Dude, this is the type of shit I want to do for the rest of my life" - No joke. Since then I've tried to play as much as I can trying to look for friends that enjoyed the sport too, but I can't keep up with the game, -I can almost grab onto the basket, but I won't last for more than 10 minutes without feeling like shit and having a dry mouth. I think to myself: after all these years of doing sports without emotion and "kind of" succeeding at them, I find a sport that I love and I don't have the endurance to last one ****ing quarter?
I don't care how much shit I have to go through now, I'll train (I don't know how) and break my balls in order to achieve something.I'm almost 17, and want to play professionally, and even though everyone that reads this will probably laugh out loud by this point I don't care. I just want to do something with my life sports-wise. As I mentioned above, I don't know what kind of training I can do in order to gain stamina.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now that's an introductory post. Welcome to the boards. How often do you play basketball?
Thanks, but it's true, I'm not exaggerating, I really mean what I wrote. I spend holidays with my dad and my grandmother, and they live in an apartment outside Marbella, which is a pretty small city, but there's a basketball court a couple of km so I try to drop down often. Thing it, the friend I played with here, just went with his parents on vacation too, so I'm alone now. But I'm trying to contact another friend of both. Dammit, I don't know why my english is so bad today, must be the fact that I'm listening to heavy metal whilst writting. It's kind of embarrassing, but I every afternoon, while my granny and my "distant" granny watch "chick-flick series" (ain't that how you call it?), I grab my ball and try doing stuff like the Saturn drill and the rocker drill hoping they won't hear the bounces with the TV on. I know It sounds quite dumb :-/

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now that's an introductory post. Welcome to the boards. How often do you play basketball?
The fact that my father said that I'm too old to being playing basketball and that I will never play in the ACB or the NBA doesn't help much either.

·
Oladipo for the people
48,149 Posts
Just be glad you finally found a sport you're passionate with. Keep playing and you'll get better with time.

I always loved playing pickup ball when I was younger.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just be glad you finally found a sport you're passionate with. Keep playing and you'll get better with time.

I always loved playing pickup ball when I was younger.
Thanks MR.R , but I really need some answers. Since I'm from Europe I don't listen much about the NBA here other than through the internet. I know about the draft rules in the NBA. I just want to know (don't care if the truth is harsh) If I'm really too old to you know, play professionally. I didn't want to say this but thanks to the IB (International Baccaleaureate) I have been forced to abandon my school due to my poor grades and repeat 11th grade, so that gives me an extra year before graduation.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Welcome to the forums :)

17 is not too old. I have a friend who went to high school in the US, he started basketball when he was around 16-17, and he was one of the key players for his high school and got a sports scholarship for one of the US universities. He worked like a maniac, early in bed, early to get up and run his miles and all that. So be dedicated, stay healthy, don't give up :)
I'm also from Europe (Serbia) and I have some friends that coach, so I can ask them for advice about what to do.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome to the forums :)

17 is not too old. I have a friend who went to high school in the US, he started basketball when he was around 16-17, and he was one of the key players for his high school and got a sports scholarship for one of the US universities. He worked like a maniac, early in bed, early to get up and run his miles and all that. So be dedicated, stay healthy, don't give up :)
I'm also from Europe (Serbia) and I have some friends that coach, so I can ask them for advice about what to do.
Oh yeah, some advice would be great! Thanks man!

·
Registered
190 Posts
OK, first, realistically you missed out a lot and you're lagging behind other guys that are playing for years.

For a start primarily you have to work on your speed, technique and your jumping power. Those are the basics. Besides this you should build your strength, but primarily work on the basics.
Check this guy he has crazy skill:

Play smart, analyze games, analyze movements, check some moves and try to repeat it on the field. A lot of players play purely on their athleticism, they have a low basketball IQ, try to build up a basketball IQ. Even if you don't have anybody to play with go to the court and work with the ball, shoot, learn how to control the ball, run.

You have to find a team to join, hopefully with an OK coach. Listen to everything the coach tells you, hang on every word like a sponge.
If you can, find somebody to give you a workout regime until you find a team. If possible somebody who plays basketball or is a coach or something.

It's gonna be very very tough, be persistent and don't give up. Buena suerte! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, first, realistically you missed out a lot and you're lagging behind other guys that are playing for years.

For a start primarily you have to work on your speed, technique and your jumping power. Those are the basics. Besides this you should build your strength, but primarily work on the basics.
Check this guy he has crazy skill: CRAZY HANDLES! - YouTube

Play smart, analyze games, analyze movements, check some moves and try to repeat it on the field. A lot of players play purely on their athleticism, they have a low basketball IQ, try to build up a basketball IQ. Even if you don't have anybody to play with go to the court and work with the ball, shoot, learn how to control the ball, run.

You have to find a team to join, hopefully with an OK coach. Listen to everything the coach tells you, hang on every word like a sponge.
If you can, find somebody to give you a workout regime until you find a team. If possible somebody who plays basketball or is a coach or something.

It's gonna be very very tough, be persistent and don't give up. Buena suerte! :)
Thanks for this man, I'm ready to do all you said above, I'm ready for sweat and pain, but what is basketball IQ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts